Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which ghetto would you live in if you had to.
Camden 7 5.43%
Newark 61 47.29%
Paterson 55 42.64%
Irvington 6 4.65%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 07:01 AM

6,963 posts, read 20,534,629 times

Advertisements

Newark no question
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2009, 01:29 PM

21,274 posts, read 6,347,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
Newark no question
I've lived and worked in Newark so it's out of the question.

Old 01-06-2009, 04:22 PM

1,387 posts, read 4,016,359 times
Where are the nice neighborhoods in Camden? The waterfront doesn't count, who actually lives there?

Old 03-14-2010, 02:34 PM

196 posts, read 614,175 times
Newark and Paterson both have their interesting aspects, especially in the ethnic populations. Paterson is one of the most diverse cities in America. I don't know if I'd wnat to live in either (if I did, probably Newark for its proximity to NYC) but I enjoyed visiting Newark and I'd like to see Paterson sometime.

Old 03-14-2010, 05:00 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,415,405 times
I just looked up the crime rates between Camden and Irvington. 3/4 of Camden's zip codes are about twice the rates for the one Irvington zip code. Some people here seem to think Irvington is the bad one here, when clearly it's Camden by a long shot.

Old 03-14-2010, 05:19 PM

478 posts, read 1,749,436 times
Newark is best bet..they get more federal funds galore..why..its NJ's biggest city!

Old 03-14-2010, 06:09 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,848,855 times
Newark is the only city improving on this list so id rule it out. Camden & Irvington are tied they both need a new leader and a Police force the size of Newark's. Paterson is trying but not hard enough.

Old 03-14-2010, 06:26 PM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
Right now, I'd pick Paterson because I know a couple of people who live there. It's always good to know somebody in town.

Old 03-14-2010, 06:32 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,859,501 times
LOL I would live in Paterson any day ... you can live in Paterson practically in hawthorne or n haledon.

Old 03-14-2010, 09:51 PM

877 posts, read 2,838,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busch Boy View Post
Where are the nice neighborhoods in Camden? The waterfront doesn't count, who actually lives there?
I have family in that area - Cherry Hill and Voorhees - and know lots of people from surrounding areas as well. They all have a saying about this part of NJ: "No matter what they do to fix up Camden Waterfront, Camden will always be Camden."

I've seen no place worse than Asbury Park, the sections of Camden I've been in - Kennedy Hospital area (where I went to visit my grandfather in the hospital 4 years ago) - apparently weren't the worst parts. I obviously wasn't on the right street. Even the sections of Newark, Paterson, Jersey City, Elizabeth, East Orange, Trenton, Keansburg and Burlington City I've driven through don't look as bad as AP.

I used to work in Piscataway, never actually crossed the border into Plainfield, but faculty in the Piscataway school system used to say Plainfield was like Newark as far as crime goes. That was three years ago.

Anyway if I had to choose a ghetto to live in, probably pick Newark since its downtown has gotten fixed up in recent years. Some of my family emerged from Jersey City too originally, the Greenville section before it got bad and some say not all of JC is bad but you have to go through the bad parts to get to the good ones.

My father worked in Newark briefly about ten years ago, said there are some really good (inexpensive) restaurants downtown that make the ones in Manhattan look like garbage! Where he worked, however, was a different story. It was in an industrial park over there, he'd leave on a Friday night then come in Monday morning to find the fence cut open with the trucks broken into with batteries stolen. Called the police, some woman cop comes over he's talking to her while she's in the car and someone radios in about a stabbing at a local project, so my dad says "oh I guess you're gonna go to that" and she just laughed and said "that stuff happens everyday!" When you think about it, it's kinda sad but yet, in their eyes they got themselves there by getting into drugs and all, so let them kill each other. That's the mentality the cops have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey