U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Which ghetto would you live in if you had to.
Camden 7 5.51%
Newark 60 47.24%
Paterson 54 42.52%
Irvington 6 4.72%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 11:12 PM

1,578 posts, read 3,752,299 times

Advertisements

Heres a question. Say you had to move to a ghetto city in NJ and live there what would you pick...???

If this offends anybody, then sorry.
Its just a question out of curiosity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2009, 12:24 AM

810 posts, read 2,278,610 times
I lived in Paterson for 8 years and I live there when I go back home during school breaks. Without a doubt, it is the best city out of your choices. Don't get me wrong, I'm not endorsing Paterson as a great town b/c it has its problems. But, Paterson still has nice parts and it is not as dangerous as the other cities mentioned. Random acts of violence are pretty rare there. They usually occur to people who are involved in questionable activities. This can't be said about the other cities you've mentioned.

I recommend you guys take a look at the thread "Neighborhoods in Paterson". A couple of former and current Paterson residents give a great synopsis of the different neighborhoods in the city. We give the good and the bad.

Last edited by Busch Boy; 01-02-2009 at 12:37 AM..

Old 01-02-2009, 12:58 AM

2,585 posts, read 3,274,886 times
^^^^ Ehhh, I find Paterson is way more aggressive towards "civilians" than Newark. I've been in both cities for many, many years & had WAY more problems in Paterson than Newark.
In NWK.......... If you are not "involved in the game", they leave you alone for the most part. There is no real money to be gained by effing with regular folks & they let most people be.
Paterson, on the other hand, seems to have more of a "tough guy inferiority complex" & are more apt to test you just because, at least in my opinion.
Paterson is smaller & quicker to confront an unknown face.
Newark has never shown me its ugly side. And it's because I'm not in a gang or dealing drugs.
Newark is far & away more violent, but Paterson will be quicker to try & run an out of towners pockets.

Old 01-02-2009, 01:02 AM

3,362 posts, read 5,339,522 times
Eh Paterson gets a bit of a bad rap. Its bad, but its not so bad as certain people make it out to be

Old 01-02-2009, 01:09 AM

2,585 posts, read 3,274,886 times
I did not say it was bad, I said they were quicker to test an unknown face than Newark.

Old 01-02-2009, 07:34 AM

505 posts, read 1,129,479 times
Call me crazy, but I'd choose Camden

Travel - Baldwin's Run, Camden, New Jersey - CottageLiving.com

Travel - Our Annual Top 10 Neighborhoods for 2008 - CottageLiving.com

Old 01-02-2009, 08:36 AM

400 posts, read 789,782 times
I work in Newark and I love it. If I decided to move to northern NJ (currently commute from central because I also work in Bucks County) I would move to Newark. It's got everything (universities, museums, lectures, arts) and people are friendly. The neighborhoods and restaurants are ethnic and genuinely so, not 'touristly-so' as in NYC. I love to walk there, because there is so much history and great architecture. The beautiful cathedrals and churches dot every block. During the day, the streets are crowded. During the late evening, I think crime might still be a problem, so you would have to be careful, but I think Newark is turning around. The new subway system connects just about everywhere and is much nicer and cleaner than NYC, for example. Penn Station is a walk from most locations, and connects to the world, including to the airport. They have built pretty sidewalks on Broad street and other places downtown. The new mayor is great, and has visited the sidewalk where I work, and shaken people's hands. He is really tying hard. The previous mayor has to be given a lot of credit for some of these changes, but he was corrupt.

Trenton does not seem as nice as Newark (sorry, Trenton)

Old 01-02-2009, 08:39 AM

4,760 posts, read 9,277,677 times
Paterson for me!!

Old 01-02-2009, 08:48 AM

400 posts, read 789,782 times
I don't have kids, so I didn't think about school systems. If I did have kids--I'd look into that, and that would change my priorities depending on what I found out.

Old 01-02-2009, 09:03 AM

5,973 posts, read 3,703,633 times
I would choose Camden, I forsee a great revitalization of this area in the coming years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey