U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread
Old 01-03-2009, 12:07 AM
2 posts, read 7,500 times

Hey there,

My wife and I are moving to Jersey from Springfield, MO area. Though I have been doing alot of research online about New Jersey, all the information seems to be mixed for the Oranges, Jersey City, Newark area. One site says crime/drugs are outrageous, and others state that it's not that bad. We have been looking online for apartments and seem to have found a very nice place listed at 320 S. Harrison in East Orange, with all utilities included for 1200/mo. Can anyone tell me what that neighborhood is like? I mean obviously there is crime and drugs in every major city, I grew up in Denver so I'm used to it a little bit. However, funny thing is, I did a crime rate check for E. Orange vs. Springfield, MO and Springfield's crime rate was actually higher than East Orange.

Any comments/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. We would like to stay around the above price for a 2 bd apartment, that is good commuting distance to Manhattan and NYC. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2009, 01:02 PM
1,576 posts, read 4,899,845 times
East Orange is bad. I cant really say it's decent because the only decent part is The northern section above Linden ave. and south of Bloomfield Ave.

The area of S Harrison isnt to great, its like the border line of Orange and East Orange practically, and its leading into the even worse city of Irvington. I grew up in Newark, and i would say finding a place there would be a better.. Jersey City is okay, just stay away from the greenville section because thats where a lot of its crime is at. and The montgomery st. section isnt to great either.

Another good bet for you would be Bayonne.
Old 01-03-2009, 05:39 PM
1,927 posts, read 5,203,492 times
Eh, I'd keep outta there if I were you.
Old 01-03-2009, 09:15 PM
2 posts, read 7,500 times
Thanks for the info. If anyone else has anything more to say, please respond. Thank you in advance.
Old 01-09-2009, 12:59 PM
2 posts, read 15,614 times
Default Maple Gardens in Irvington NJ is Very Nice!

I am the Director of Security for Maple Gardens. We are the safest community in the area. Our security rivals that of buildings in Manhattan. We have 24/7 security. electronic access control, DVR Video Surveillance, etc. Our crime rate also equals that of the "safest" communities in NJ.
Old 04-15-2009, 03:17 PM
11 posts, read 27,537 times
If there were a change in mgmt, I would recommend this luxury high rise apt but considering I recently moved out of the bldg due to poor mgmt and the owner's refusal to make repairs. I highly recommend harrison towers and the executive houses, for almost the same rent you will have a more professional staff and high quality maintenance staff.
Old 04-15-2009, 08:38 PM
2 posts, read 7,502 times
Maple Gardens is the projects! I live at 377 S. Harrison and my building is very safe, comfortable, nice views, underground parking, and 24 hr. doormen.
Old 04-20-2009, 04:14 PM
11 posts, read 27,537 times
Yes, you should consider 377 S. Harrison, DO NOT MOVE TO 320 S. Harrison. As I said management makes it very difficult for people with regard to making normal repairs, he is a cheap bastid. He nor his staff respect the tenants, he is a slum landlord in a high rise luxury apt, it's really bizarre.
Old 05-03-2009, 11:30 AM
1 posts, read 3,259 times
I am a current resident at 320 S. Harrison, and I absolutely love the building. I have lived here for nearly a year and recently resigned my lease. My experience living here has been great, and I would definitely recommend living here! The building is gorgeous, the staff is friendly, and the few repairs that I have needed were done quickly and professionally. It is a beautiful building!
Old 05-14-2009, 12:31 PM
1 posts, read 3,202 times
I have been a resident for just 8 months and I have some concerns about living in this building, particularly the rumors regarding theft by the maintenance staff. I was recently on the elevator with a resident who told me several items in her apt have been stolen over a few months. This is not the first time I have heard tenants complaining of items missiing from their apts. When they do confront the manager, he denies his staff steals and suggests they contact their insurance carrier. Since hearing this, I no longer give permission for the staff to enter my apt to make repairs while I am away. Also, they advertise the apts as "luxury" and with state of the art gym equipment and that's not true. I was disappointed to see that only one treadmill works and I was told by several tenants that the other 2 have been broken for years and most of the other equipment is old and/or broken. The super, Eduardo, is confrontational, lazy and his work is not adequate. He has refused to fix a few repairs in my apt including unclogging my bathroom sink saying "it was fault" that something fell in and if he unclogged it I would have to pay. Well I have a friend that is a plumber and he unclogged the sink and there were no items in my sink, just the usual slow drain. I'm hearing this quite frequently from other tenants, that management will often demand payment for repairs. I plan to report this to the City and suggest other tenants do the same. The manager, Ori Dayan, appears to be unethical, unfair and biased.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or