Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 01:41 PM

88 posts, read 297,199 times

Advertisements

Is the crime rate really that bad?
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 05-05-2009 at 06:18 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2009, 06:30 PM

162 posts, read 544,584 times
OMG that's crazy. I don't think it's that bad at all. As you know I live in Clifton, I'm planning on moving because of the school district but If I didn't have a child I would stay put. The commute to NYC is fantastic and people are friendly except. i think Riverwalk is very close to Nutley right? Nutley is a nice area, your close to commuting to NYC, shops etc.

Old 01-04-2009, 07:34 PM
GJM

465 posts, read 1,874,543 times
I don't think Clifton is that bad, there are parts that are worse than others. I grew up in Clifton and still have family that lives there. It could be that Clifton is a bigger town compared to other towns in NJ.

Old 01-04-2009, 07:37 PM

1,990 posts, read 7,612,794 times
Yeah, Clifton is a city of about 80,000. Believe it or not, that is actually a small midsize city. Yet, it is pretty suburban in nature. Clifton isn't that bad. Not to knock Camden, but both cities has the same population; which one would you rather live in?

Old 01-04-2009, 08:29 PM

51 posts, read 281,212 times
The data in the report is initially confusing... it says that Clifton has lower violent crime than NJ on average and the US (289 incidents per 100,000 residents - vs 391.3 and 596), but it also says that 74% of other cities in NJ have similar or lower violent crime. I think that the high crime rate in the bad cities distort NJ's average violent crime rate, so that even though Clifton's crime rate is lower than NJ's average crime rate - most other cities in NJ have equal or less violent crime.

The report does show that Clifton has higher property crime than NJ's average... I thought Clifton was one of the nicer towns close to NYC. Perhaps the proximity to Paterson?

Old 01-04-2009, 08:32 PM

35 posts, read 91,790 times
I think that report is completly misleading I live in Clifton and it's really not that bad.

Old 01-05-2009, 09:39 AM

88 posts, read 297,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plume12 View Post
OMG that's crazy. I don't think it's that bad at all. As you know I live in Clifton, I'm planning on moving because of the school district but If I didn't have a child I would stay put. The commute to NYC is fantastic and people are friendly except. i think Riverwalk is very close to Nutley right? Nutley is a nice area, your close to commuting to NYC, shops etc.

What was riverwalk before it became riverwalk? how long does it take to get to NYC by bus If I have to be in at 8am?

Old 01-05-2009, 10:38 AM

1,489 posts, read 3,077,735 times
Also residing in Clifton, and its not bad at all. If you are worried about crime in Clifton, I feel bad for you, better move to Montana.

Old 01-05-2009, 10:25 PM

1,387 posts, read 3,999,572 times
[quote=ecaldwe1;6839656]The data in the report is initially confusing... it says that Clifton has lower violent crime than NJ on average and the US (289 incidents per 100,000 residents - vs 391.3 and 596), but it also says that 74% of other cities in NJ have similar or lower violent crime. I think that the high crime rate in the bad cities distort NJ's average violent crime rate, so that even though Clifton's crime rate is lower than NJ's average crime rate - most other cities in NJ have equal or less violent crime.

The report does show that Clifton has higher property crime than NJ's average... I thought Clifton was one of the nicer towns close to NYC. Perhaps the proximity to Paterson?[/quote]

If you had to pinpoint the "worst" section of Clifton, it would be the Clifton/Passaic border (near Lexington Ave). And this area isn't even that dangerous. "Crimes" in this section would probably be loitering, littering, and having lawn ornaments stolen from your front lawn.

As for the Clifton/Paterson border; Clifton borders one of the nicest areas of Paterson. It's a middle-class neighborhood (called the Lakeview section) full of single-family bungalows, cape cods, a few two-family homes, and a couple of co-ops.

The true downfall of Clifton is the overcrowding of the public school system. I have cousins that went to CHS and they say that sometimes they had to stand in class until a janitor got them a seat b/c of the lack of tables in the room. Considering the taxes that are paid in Clifton, that's ridiculous.

Old 01-05-2009, 10:26 PM

1,387 posts, read 3,999,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecaldwe1 View Post
The data in the report is initially confusing... it says that Clifton has lower violent crime than NJ on average and the US (289 incidents per 100,000 residents - vs 391.3 and 596), but it also says that 74% of other cities in NJ have similar or lower violent crime. I think that the high crime rate in the bad cities distort NJ's average violent crime rate, so that even though Clifton's crime rate is lower than NJ's average crime rate - most other cities in NJ have equal or less violent crime.

The report does show that Clifton has higher property crime than NJ's average... I thought Clifton was one of the nicer towns close to NYC. Perhaps the proximity to Paterson?

If you had to pinpoint the "worst" section of Clifton, it would be the Clifton/Passaic border (near Lexington Ave). And this area isn't even that dangerous. "Crimes" in this section would probably be loitering, littering, and having lawn ornaments stolen from the front of your house.

As for the Clifton/Paterson border; Clifton borders one of the nicest areas of Paterson. It's a middle-class neighborhood (called the Lakeview section) full of single-family bungalows, cape cods, a few two-family homes, and a couple of co-ops. About 95% of the homes in this area are nicely maintained and landscaped. You can't even tell where Clifton ends and Paterson begins for a while.

The true downfall of Clifton is the overcrowding of the public school system. I have cousins that went to CHS and they say that sometimes they had to stand in class until a janitor got them a seat b/c of the lack of tables in the room. Considering the taxes that are paid in Clifton, that's ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey