Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 07:35 AM

5,617 posts, read 15,472,860 times

Advertisements

Did a drive around Bridgewater and Sommerville.

A few question and some observations. Where are the streets in Bridgewater that have the homes with the mountain or hill views. COuld you please name the street names?

Sommerville, what a cute little downtown. I went into Lloyds and walked downtown and its was a cute little downtown. Now the town is too flat for my taste but the houses were old, cool and nice styles!

I am really started to fall head over heals for Somerset COunty. I mean there is no slug from what I see compared to ugly bad bergen county especially you know the industrial slug towns.

I just am amazed that its so damn different!!! I can easily see myself upgrading in ten years to Northern Somerset.

My husband and I used to hate everything about Bergen County. I mean EVERYTHING!!!!! It just made us so damn miserable, and now its like we drive around Somerset and lower morris county and LIKE EVERYTHING!!! I just wish I got out of my hole ten years ago. I missed so much of this gem of an area.

Back from the trip and its nice to be home!!!! I read some posts well I was gone but could not post. So sorry , IM BACK!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2009, 07:41 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,732,913 times
In Bridgewater, go up Foothill Road and you'll have many roads off there with homes with great views.

I've mostly lived in Somerset County and I think it's great. Somerville has made a heck of a turn around in the past 20 years. It really is nice and has just about everything you could want. There's always something going on there.
Why do you think I always tell people to look for a home in Somerset County. They won't be sorry.

Old 01-06-2009, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
In Bridgewater, go up Foothill Road and you'll have many roads off there with homes with great views.

I've mostly lived in Somerset County and I think it's great. Somerville has made a heck of a turn around in the past 20 years. It really is nice and has just about everything you could want. There's always something going on there.
Why do you think I always tell people to look for a home in Somerset County. They won't be sorry.
Listen do me a favor, lets not tell them too much!!!! I just love it!!! I am totally in love with the whole damn county. Of course I am saving every dime to go to Peapack or Gladstone, thats my ideal of a town but I am liking Bridgewater too. I just cant tell you how my mouth drops that this is not destroyed like Bergen. I love it, please lets keep it our secret or not tell too much. You are so damn lucky and I am heading your way soon.

I have some great ideas for the future and its going to be tough there is way too many areas I like now. I went to that Tweks and did Tahit's loop too and like that area. Its a whole great adventure for someone who really never experienced such great spots. I cant decide there is too many great towns, but I am heading your way kid!!!! Just give me 10 years tops!!

Old 01-06-2009, 07:49 AM

The only thing you need to be aware of in Somerset County is you need to realize that everyone feels "entitled" and if you can deal with that, you'll be ok.

There's the new money/old money thing that goes on too. I LOVE the old money people, they are so entertained by the new money folks and are always happy and laughing. It's too much, really...

Old 01-06-2009, 07:51 AM

Quote:
The only thing you need to be aware of in Somerset County is you need to realize that everyone feels "entitled" and if you can deal with that, you'll be ok.

There's the new money/old money thing that goes on too. I LOVE the old money people, they are so entertained by the new money folks and are always happy and laughing. It's too much, really...
NO problem, easy to deal with remember I am from NOrthern Bergen County!!!!

Old 01-06-2009, 07:55 AM

Yeah, you should be fine.

I went to Hackensack (that's Bergen, right?) and really loved it. I went into a deli/restaurant owned by an older Italian couple and there were articles on the wall about when the deli was robbed and the owner (the old man) shot the perp and was regaled as a hero!! I thought it was great!! I really loved that old couple and their food was outstanding!!

Old 01-06-2009, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Yeah, you should be fine.

I went to Hackensack (that's Bergen, right?) and really loved it. I went into a deli/restaurant owned by an older Italian couple and there were articles on the wall about when the deli was robbed and the owner (the old man) shot the perp and was regaled as a hero!! I thought it was great!! I really loved that old couple and their food was outstanding!!
yes thats bergen and a mixed town, no snob factor in Hackensack you got go north! Compared to Sommerville Hackensack is a dump!!!!!

Old 01-06-2009, 11:39 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,524,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
Did a drive around Bridgewater and Sommerville.

A few question and some observations. Where are the streets in Bridgewater that have the homes with the mountain or hill views. COuld you please name the street names?

Sommerville, what a cute little downtown. I went into Lloyds and walked downtown and its was a cute little downtown. Now the town is too flat for my taste but the houses were old, cool and nice styles!

I am really started to fall head over heals for Somerset COunty. I mean there is no slug from what I see compared to ugly bad bergen county especially you know the industrial slug towns.

I just am amazed that its so damn different!!! I can easily see myself upgrading in ten years to Northern Somerset.

My husband and I used to hate everything about Bergen County. I mean EVERYTHING!!!!! It just made us so damn miserable, and now its like we drive around Somerset and lower morris county and LIKE EVERYTHING!!! I just wish I got out of my hole ten years ago. I missed so much of this gem of an area.

Back from the trip and its nice to be home!!!! I read some posts well I was gone but could not post. So sorry , IM BACK!!!
First off...welcome back my friend.

I too was very fond of Somerset CTY. I too agree Bergen as well as Essex are pretty dumpy and crowded. Like some one just said. Foothill Rd is all pretty hilly up there which I believe leads to Warren. Go check out Warren too. Bridgewater has many rural areas still believe it or not. You also have the Bridgewater Commons Mall.

Somerville is pretty famous for having more mixed race marriages then any other city or town. We did our shopping there as well as restaurants. It does have a nice downtown for walkers. The streets behind the court house have lots of homes build 100 years ago. Some are in disrepair but many have been restored to modern day standards while maintaining that old look. They all have full walk around porches which we all love. Oh and large lots with long driveways. The old Somerville Circle is long gone now but there is or at least was an old metal diner there which was so popular. Does anyone know if it's still there?

Bridgewater is also the home to the first Mount Laural Decision housing condo development by Hovanian. This stupid useless law forced wealthy towns to build cheap dumpy condos for poor people which of course ruined many a nice town. Many years later all those grotesque condo clusters in Bridgewater have not done much harm. Most were bought by ATT employees in the heyday. Today Im guessing many are section 8 or young working class poor. I have heard nothing bad in years from this.

Old 01-06-2009, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
First off...welcome back my friend.

I too was very fond of Somerset CTY. I too agree Bergen as well as Essex are pretty dumpy and crowded. Like some one just said. Foothill Rd is all pretty hilly up there which I believe leads to Warren. Go check out Warren too. Bridgewater has many rural areas still believe it or not. You also have the Bridgewater Commons Mall.

Somerville is pretty famous for having more mixed race marriages then any other city or town. We did our shopping there as well as restaurants. It does have a nice downtown for walkers. The streets behind the court house have lots of homes build 100 years ago. Some are in disrepair but many have been restored to modern day standards while maintaining that old look. They all have full walk around porches which we all love. Oh and large lots with long driveways. The old Somerville Circle is long gone now but there is or at least was an old metal diner there which was so popular. Does anyone know if it's still there?

Bridgewater is also the home to the first Mount Laural Decision housing condo development by Hovanian. This stupid useless law forced wealthy towns to build cheap dumpy condos for poor people which of course ruined many a nice town. Many years later all those grotesque condo clusters in Bridgewater have not done much harm. Most were bought by ATT employees in the heyday. Today Im guessing many are section 8 or young working class poor. I have heard nothing bad in years from this.
ohh I missed you my sweet rebel!!!!! Is that foothill road the only mountain or hilly area? I never went to Bridgewater so it was a thrill !! This is a nice county, I dont see any slug. NO slug in Somerset or Morris. Even Dover is not bad. I kinda like the latin beat. I am trying to find a dumpy area of Morris or Somerset but just compared to Bergen and Passaic and Essex and Hudson its total Nirvana!!!!

Old 01-06-2009, 12:04 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,587,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post

The circle is still there, somewhat. if you're on 202 heading north or south, you go over the circle. If you need to go onto 28 or 206, you still need to navigate.

Yes, the diner is still there, on the northbound side of 202 - "Time to Eat" - is that the one you're thinking of?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey