Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 07:53 AM

11 posts, read 59,377 times

Advertisements

Prejudice is defined as an adverse judgment or opinion about someone without knowing them or understanding their motives. Where prejudice lurks stereotypes are seldom far behind. You look for the negative and you find it. I can post scary stories from all over Ocean and Monmouth counties. All that takes is a little internet literacy. I also continue to wonder why someone would feel so strongly against anyone posting positively about a city?

It's really silly to even debate it. Asbury Park is a city. It has crime. It has gangs. You can buy drugs here. It apparently also has trannie prostitutes which I will have to take the word of others for. There is obviously a market for these things and until we find a solution for the demand then there will be a supply.

However, it's unfair to decide without knowing us that everyone who lives in Asbury Park is the same. I don't want to change your mind about Asbury. My favorite thing about Asbury is that it attracts openminded people and it is diverse.

I stand by what I said earlier. The people in my neighborhood are friendly. They watch my house for me. They are black, white, latino, gay, straight, young and old. I like where I live and if you believe that "means" something about me because the place is Asbury Park well I will consider the source.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2007, 08:15 AM

1,453 posts, read 4,929,134 times
People are just tired of the same old same old. And of course there are good people living there. The new arrivals are just a small part of the town. It's great if you have a good experience there but people from that area know that they are being sold a bill of goods when they are told that Asbury is a place they should invest in. If you are having a positive experience there-good times.

The longer time residents will not speak of the town in glowing terms and that makes some of these posts a little suspect. If you have lived in an area for over 30 years and new blood comes in and starts hyping your town there is always suspicion. An outsider will have a different perspective in many cases. Is that always a bad thing? No.

Old 05-30-2007, 11:30 AM

11 posts, read 59,377 times
See you assume that I am new. I am Jersey Shore born and raised (many more than 30 years). I've lived in Asbury Park for nearly 10 years. I am not trying to sell anyone anything. I'm only relating my own experience. Your mileage may vary.

Old 05-30-2007, 11:55 AM

5 posts, read 24,456 times
This Will Be My Last Reply. I Only Started Yesterday And Today Is The Last Day. I Lived In Asbury Park Since Birth. I Was A Police Officer In Asbury Park. Crime, Drugs ,etc Were Always Here. The Asbury Park Press, When It Was In Asbury Park Played Down A Lot Of The Stuff Years Ago. When They Moved Everything "seemed" To Get Bad. Yes The Riots Destroyed Asbury Park. People Moved Out. Stop Thinking Of Asbury Park In 1960 Eyes. The Circut Is Gone. Mrs Jays ...........gone. The Riot And The Malls Killed Asbury Park. Let The Old One Rest In Peace And The New One Grow.

Ps. Its Asbury Park.................... Not Asbury

Goodby Crazy People

Old 12-21-2007, 10:37 AM

2 posts, read 9,270 times
[quote=qmighty;608001]If you are scared of Asbury Park and don't want to get shot, then don't buy your drugs here. quote]
Very good point. There is no reason to be scared of AP. I can't remember ever hearing of someone just driving through and being the victim of violence because it doesn't happen.

Old 12-22-2007, 06:39 PM

44 posts, read 145,718 times
I have heard that Asbury Park is catering to the Gay community, which is fine in my opinion. Most have a good deal of money and respect for the arts and history. Our family portrait was done with the Asbury merry-go-round as the background. Gosh I loved the clam strip sandwiches at Ho-JOs!!

Old 12-23-2007, 12:21 AM

4 posts, read 22,585 times
Hello Everyone,

Has anyone read the Asbury Park Press the other day. The construction is on hold again. Like I said in my former post, it's sad that good people will be losing their money, homes and businesses and maybe liquor licenses if they have one, like my friend did back in the old redevelopment stages. As far as it being a gay community, let it be. Gays are no different then heterosexuals you have mean ones and kind ones. To me Asbury being a Gay community means nothing , it does not make it a better town. The Federal Government needs to take over once and for all there.

Old 12-23-2007, 12:40 AM

1,453 posts, read 4,929,134 times
I don't think it was ever a question of the town being super dangerous.

It is really more a question of will it ever see a true turnaround? That is why people hesitate. History tells us that the so called revival of the moment never gets very far. People are smart to hesitate before investing. Yes, that's true for anywhere they might be considering. It's even more true here.

Like I've said before, gays are nothing new to the area and this is not the first revival.

Old 12-23-2007, 06:54 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,369,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rapture13 View Post
Hello Everyone,

Has anyone read the Asbury Park Press the other day. The construction is on hold again. Like I said in my former post, it's sad that good people will be losing their money, homes and businesses and maybe liquor licenses if they have one, like my friend did back in the old redevelopment stages. As far as it being a gay community, let it be. Gays are no different then heterosexuals you have mean ones and kind ones. To me Asbury being a Gay community means nothing , it does not make it a better town. The Federal Government needs to take over once and for all there.
Yup- the developer decided to put the brakes on and re-evaluate the project. They're considering moving forward again in the spring, but may have to revise the overall look of the project to cut costs.

So, if you're one of the folks who already put a deposit down on a unit, I guess you get to pull out when the high-end, luxury European villa you thought you were buying gets redesigned into utter crap??

Old 12-23-2007, 08:23 AM

5,818 posts, read 12,620,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Yup- the developer decided to put the brakes on and re-evaluate the project. They're considering moving forward again in the spring, but may have to revise the overall look of the project to cut costs.

So, if you're one of the folks who already put a deposit down on a unit, I guess you get to pull out when the high-end, luxury European villa you thought you were buying gets redesigned into utter crap??
Yea Bob it looks like they slammed the breaks on again in Utopia. I smell foreclosure galore on the horizon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey