U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 01:17 PM

12,284 posts, read 29,572,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
I know of several A&Ps where you can do that.
where??! I've seen stores where the liquor is CONNECTED to the grocery, but you can't bring your groceries in there and vice versa.

My understanding of this ShopRite is, like Mike said, actually aisles in the grocery store proper. The only difference between this store and ones outside the NE is there are designated aisles if you have liquor.

in all my years in this state i've never see what i describe above.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2009, 02:10 PM

4,251 posts, read 5,769,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
I know of several A&Ps where you can do that.
Yes GRF, you're right! The A&P in Little Falls has a huge liquor section in it. The only problem I encountered during checkout was if the clerk was under 18 or 21, then, they'd have an older person ring up the charge.

Old 01-09-2009, 02:29 PM

5,422 posts, read 13,596,593 times
I do not understand the thing where Ridgewood doesn't allow Whole Foods to sell alcohol, but Stop & Shop can????

Old 01-09-2009, 06:52 PM

2,510 posts, read 2,841,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
wait...wait...wait.....the liquor was *within* the 4 walls of the grocery store? and you can checkout - food AND booze, on the same line?!? like in florida, for instance?
I just spent two weeks in Ocala, Florida and yes you can buy your beer or wine in the grocery store. I'm not a big drinker but I I don't see why beer, wine or whatever can't be sold in a grocery store for convenience. Just another example of New Jersey government bureaucracy that only serves to complicate what should be a simple transaction. Life is already too complicated with too many silly government edits for this type of crap !!!

Old 01-09-2009, 07:16 PM

12,284 posts, read 29,572,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
Yes GRF, you're right! The A&P in Little Falls has a huge liquor section in it. The only problem I encountered during checkout was if the clerk was under 18 or 21, then, they'd have an older person ring up the charge.
wha-what? I lived in Little Falls and don't remember this!! Is it the *same* exact thing as southern states - groceries and wine in the same cart - checked out by the same person (except over 21?) - I've been living under a rock!

Old 01-09-2009, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
wha-what? I lived in Little Falls and don't remember this!! Is it the *same* exact thing as southern states - groceries and wine in the same cart - checked out by the same person (except over 21?) - I've been living under a rock!
It's that big A&P on 46! Just down a bit from where the Shop-Rite and Pathmark face each other from the opposite sides of 46. But unlike NC , you can buy hard liquor in it. NC has those stupid ABC stores for the hard stuff!

Old 01-09-2009, 10:19 PM

992 posts, read 3,051,708 times
Ha I was there tonight also.

Old 01-09-2009, 10:33 PM

6,796 posts, read 10,163,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan View Post
Just another example of New Jersey government bureaucracy that only serves to complicate what should be a simple transaction. Life is already too complicated with too many silly government edits for this type of crap !!!
Your gov't doesn't even trust you to pump your own gas. It's no surprise to me that you can't buy beer/wine in a grocery.

Old 01-09-2009, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
Your gov't doesn't even trust you to pump your own gas. It's no surprise to me that you can't buy beer/wine in a grocery.
It's been that way even from the time you were a little tyke on the Jersey Shore!

Old 01-10-2009, 05:50 AM

516 posts, read 1,633,039 times
Shop-Rite in Middletown has a limited alcohol aisle with it's own register (and they close it off during certain hours). Wegmans in Manalapan has a huge liquor store adjacent to the supermarket. It has its own entrance but it also has a door in between the two stores. You have to check out alcohol purchases at the wine shoppe's registers but you're free to mosey on back over to the paper towels or international food section immediately before or after that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey