U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 01-10-2009, 05:28 AM

7,577 posts, read 13,640,161 times
Just think of how many "Hubbies" won't mind tagging along or going themselves now to pick up the groceries : ))

Quick reply to this message

Unread 01-10-2009, 06:49 AM

604 posts, read 1,828,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
Your gov't doesn't even trust you to pump your own gas. It's no surprise to me that you can't buy beer/wine in a grocery.
If the ability to pump your own gas really excites you, most gas station workers could care less if you rather do it yourself. Perhaps to make you feel more at home when pumping your own you could tip the station guy.( I always thought it was strange that gas costs more in the states where you pump your own).
Most NJ people especially women, just don't like the odor of gasoline on their hands.

As far as selling beer and wine in grocery stores in NJ. Just how much do we want to punish the little guy who owns the corner liquor store?
The big box home centers (Home Depot, Lowes) have already put the corner hardware stores out of business and now you want the giant grocery retailers to do the same to the little guy who owns the liquor store.

Lets put more little guys out of work,Gas station attendants, Liquor store clerks, I mean after all isn't it more important to keep big business thriving?
E

Unread 01-10-2009, 07:16 AM

7,640 posts, read 10,175,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emanon View Post
If the ability to pump your own gas really excites you, most gas station workers could care less if you rather do it yourself. Perhaps to make you feel more at home when pumping your own you could tip the station guy.( I always thought it was strange that gas costs more in the states where you pump your own).
Most NJ people especially women, just don't like the odor of gasoline on their hands.

As far as selling beer and wine in grocery stores in NJ. Just how much do we want to punish the little guy who owns the corner liquor store?
The big box home centers (Home Depot, Lowes) have already put the corner hardware stores out of business and now you want the giant grocery retailers to do the same to the little guy who owns the liquor store.

Lets put more little guys out of work,Gas station attendants, Liquor store clerks, I mean after all isn't it more important to keep big business thriving?
E
The reason why it is less in NJ than most other states is because of state taxes. NJ, which has a reputation for high taxes, is the third lowest state when it comes to gasoline taxes.U.S. Gasoline Taxes by State

However, with the recent drop in gas prices, look for the legislators in Trenton to now raise these taxes too, since the state's highway infrastructure is depleted.

Unread 01-10-2009, 08:10 AM

1,890 posts, read 2,490,231 times
The Foodtown in Middletown has a big liquor section. I didn't buy anything but I don't remember seeing a separate register. I have a liquor store right by the house so we always go there. And how convenient to have that bar in the back!!!

Unread 01-10-2009, 08:11 AM

7,789 posts, read 8,456,292 times
tahiti, when it the shop rite opening? Its near our new home and we will be there next month. We drove by last weekend and it still looked like it was closed

Unread 01-11-2009, 10:28 PM

2,869 posts, read 4,369,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njguy View Post
There's an A & P Supermarket here in the Fort Lee, NJ area that has always been one-stop shopping though I'm not a huge A & P fan.
I think because Fort Lee is a base, isnt it?? because in McGuire afb the gasstation convenient store has plenty of liquor.

Unread 01-12-2009, 07:24 AM

11,366 posts, read 18,864,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
tahiti, when it the shop rite opening? Its near our new home and we will be there next month. We drove by last weekend and it still looked like it was closed

it's open, my IL's have already gone to it.

Unread 01-12-2009, 07:26 AM

11,366 posts, read 18,864,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
Your gov't doesn't even trust you to pump your own gas. It's no surprise to me that you can't buy beer/wine in a grocery.

1) It's not a matter of trust, if you read anything about the history of the law you'd know that.

2) If you read my post and other posts you would see that you CAN buy liquor in the grocery store.

But hey, don't let facts get in the way of a good government oppression rant!

Unread 01-12-2009, 08:36 AM

1,177 posts, read 1,797,308 times
FWIW, the Wegman's in Princeton has an adjacent liquor store. The Sam's Club in Freehold has a very large liquor section. I'll still stick with Joe Canal's, though.

Unread 01-12-2009, 07:40 PM

825 posts, read 1,773,136 times
The Shop Rite in West Caldwell has a separate Wine & Liquors Store up and around the corner on Bloomfield Ave. It's a slight ways down though, almost in the borough (Caldwell). I actually used to work at a Shop Rite, they had a seperate liquor store, but they shut it down after a while.

When I worked there, two guys from Long Island asked me if we sold liquor. I said no. And they said, oh i guess you can't do that in Jersey.

i don't really know why they separated it out, or why they have exclusive parts of the store. But if liquor was to be integrated into supermarkets, then many liquor stores would lose a significant amount of business. because then the drunkard soccer moms could just buy tequila for their margaritas, that they drink with their girlfriends on Saturday night when the kids are at a friends house sleeping over, on their weekly run to Shop Rite during the week. its easier than making a seperate run to the local liquor store.

makes sense doesn't it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey