U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 09:01 PM

1,452 posts, read 2,680,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post

The new Shoprite in Cinnaminson has a self contained liquor store! Or, as my FIL says - "One stop shopping!"

I thought our liquor laws forbid this. I know some stores have a liquor store next to them, but you couldn't cross pollinate. I guess that's changed.

The only different than other states where you can buy booze in the supermarket is they have designated checkouts if you are buying the hootch.
I lived in California and Virginia, and in both states the liquor is sold right on the grocery store shelves and you can pay for it with the rest of your groceries. However, the Shop Rite near my house has a self-contained liquor store that is licensed by the state and is a separate entity (Shop Rite Liquors), and you must pay for your purchase there separately, so we are still not like other states in that we will never see liquor directly on grocery store shelves!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2009, 07:15 AM

12,284 posts, read 29,572,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onegreatnurse View Post
I lived in California and Virginia, and in both states the liquor is sold right on the grocery store shelves and you can pay for it with the rest of your groceries. However, the Shop Rite near my house has a self-contained liquor store that is licensed by the state and is a separate entity (Shop Rite Liquors), and you must pay for your purchase there separately, so we are still not like other states in that we will never see liquor directly on grocery store shelves!
but that's my point, from what I understand, you CAN at this particular store.

Old 01-13-2009, 12:54 PM

2,060 posts, read 3,705,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
Or any place outside of the northeast! (New York state excepted)
really? when i used to live in up-state ny we bought it along with other groceries at the local walmart and price chopper and checked it out at the same counter.

Old 01-13-2009, 01:52 PM

1,308 posts, read 3,942,425 times
Then why are little individually owned markets allowed to sell and check out at the same time?? I have been to drive thru liqour stores they are kinda neat.

Old 01-13-2009, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marye711 View Post
Then why are little individually owned markets allowed to sell and check out at the same time?? I have been to drive thru liqour stores they are kinda neat.
good question.

there's a "brew thru" in bridgewater I believe.

Old 01-13-2009, 03:28 PM

7,913 posts, read 15,952,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davenj08 View Post
really? when i used to live in up-state ny we bought it along with other groceries at the local walmart and price chopper and checked it out at the same counter.
That's what I meant. New York State allows alcohol to be purchased almost everywhere. For the northeast, NY State is an outlier. Most other states in the northeast control the sale of alcoholic beverages very steadfastly. However, NY is like most of the rest of the country: you cn buy alcohol in supermarkets, convenience stores, gas stations, delis, etc.

Old 01-13-2009, 05:17 PM

As a follow up, I had to research all 50 states, and I found the beer, wine and liquor law sales in grocery/convenience stores vary. So here are 3 maps, one for each beverage:

Beer:

Wine:

Liquor:

Alaska is "no" to all three, and Hawaii is "Yes".

Old 01-13-2009, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
As a follow up, I had to research all 50 states, and I found the beer, wine and liquor law sales in grocery/convenience stores vary. So here are 3 maps, one for each beverage:

Beer:

Wine:

Liquor:

Alaska is "no" to all three, and Hawaii is "Yes".

how do states like Oklahoma with the "near beer" that's sold affect this map - or does it? can you only buy 3.2 in the grocery store?

Old 01-13-2009, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
how do states like Oklahoma with the "near beer" that's sold affect this map - or does it? can you only buy 3.2 in the grocery store?
Good question, Tahiti. As far as I know, Oklahoma and Colorado are the only states that are in the business of selling "church" beer. I lumped them in, but while I was attributing, thought of making more shades for various conditions, including the one you just said. Ultimately, I chose to lump 3.2 into 'all' beer.

I remember when I was in Fort Collins CO, when the drinking age was 18, and my cousin and I bought a case of 3.2. We finished the entire case, and I didn't even feel drunk.

Old 01-13-2009, 10:57 PM

2,866 posts, read 7,974,354 times
In Tennessee you can buy Beer in a Grocery store, but not wine. When Trader Joe's recently opened here, beer can be bought, but none of the Trader Joe wines.
One Town recently could not see Liquor by the glass, meaning no bars and none in Restaurants. That was recently voted out., now they can.

Diane
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey