Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2009, 07:08 PM

6 posts, read 30,051 times

Advertisements

We are young family with 2 kids (3 and 1). My husband will be taking a job in midtown NYC and will probably have very long working hours. My work will be in Princeton. We are looking for renting an apartment/home between princeton and NYC with the below criteria:

-Safe area
-Very Kid friendly
-Easily commutable to both NYC and Princeton. Preferably commute(door to door) under 1 hour
-Good daycare, preschool facilities closeby
-preferably walking distance to train station

We are moving from a much smaller city and are currently lost trying to find something considering the complexity of NJ/NY.

We are looking more for the convenience for commute to work, drop off pick up kids and cost of the apartment is not an issue for us.

Also when commuting to Princeton is train an option or will I have to drive? How do people go to their workplace after getting off the train?

Your help is greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2009, 09:20 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,015,844 times
Take a look at the NJ Transit train lines-
New Jersey Transit - Home

Pick the towns that have transit stations and then you can ask about Day Cares, Kid Friendliness etc. for each town. There is lots of info here.

If you are commuting into Princeton, you will have to get off at the Princeton Jct. station and take the Dinky Train (a small 2 car train) into Princeton. That station is located on the East side of the Princeton University Campus and walkable to most of the campus buildings (it is a fairly small campus).

There is a new free shuttle bus from the Dinky Station to various stops in the Boro- Princeton shuttle bus to link downtown, Dinky station -

Someone else will have to help you with your husbands' commute!

Good Luck!

Old 01-11-2009, 08:36 AM

208 posts, read 850,728 times
Metuchen, Edison, and Metropark (located in Edison also) will get your husband to Penn Station in about 45-50 min, and you into Princeton in about 30-35. Metuchen is a small old town feel and almost everywhere is walkable to the train station. The rent for a single family home will cost you about 2000/month, an apartment or condo will be about 1600/month. Edison is going to be a lot cheaper but there are not as many options that are walking distance to the train, and the closer you get to walking, the higher the rent.

Old 01-11-2009, 07:01 PM

Default Preschool recommendation in Metuchen

Thanks for your replies. Metuchen looks like a good option. Does anyone have recommendations for pre schools in this area close to the NEC train station?

Old 01-22-2009, 11:13 AM

42 posts, read 84,534 times
Let's not forget about Princeton Landing. Also Princeton mailing address (though technically in Plainsboro). Nicest curb appeal--average monthly fee around $400---we have 2 pools, beautiful foliage, ZERO riff-raff/crime. Also a very diverse community and not 90% plus Indian (Windsor Ponds and other Princeton Junction area communities)--I know that realtors cannot legally provide that kind of information so I'm being kind enough to provide!! Lots of young families!!!! Also, we did do our homework having come from NYC and needing a reasonable commute.Bought a beautiful 2 BR townhome in 2007 with an atrium. Many of their homes have atria which is a nice feature---especially if you're like us and need a place for your dog to go if it's too cold to walk!! The design is "California Contemporary" and it is right off of Route 1. Princeton Medical Center is building their new facility by 2011 not too far away and prices at that point are expected to skyrocket, so get it while the gettin's good!!!

Old 01-26-2009, 09:10 AM

Looks like we may end up renting in some place in Edison for a few months (and plan to buy a home somewhere in Edison/Metuchen/Iselin later). I know there are posts on commute on Rt1 to Princeton from Edison but they are old posts. Can anyone please let me know how your current commute is from Edison to Princeton on Rt1 or Rt27?

Old 01-26-2009, 09:16 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,292,986 times
Route 1 and Route 27 are both pretty heavily traveled during rush hour- if you're planning on a 9-5ish job, I'd budget at least an hour each way for travel- more in rainy weather, and 2-3 times that when it snows.

Old 01-28-2009, 12:28 AM

Default Apartment/Homes walking distance to Princeton Junction

Thanks for the information about the commute to Princeton. Looks like that will not work for me if the commute is so much longer on bad weather days.

We are now considering some place to rent walking distance to Princeton Junction train station. Can anyone provide help with Apartments/ Homes for rent that are walking distance to the Princeton Junction Train station.

Old 01-28-2009, 05:57 AM

3,026 posts, read 9,015,844 times
This condo development is right across the street from the Princeton Jct train station-
Windsor Haven Condo Association - Home Page

This apartment development is about a mile down the road from the station, it has shuttle service to the station-
Princeton New Jersey Apartments - The Mews At Princeton Junction

I don't know if any of the condos are for rent but the Mews is advertising apartments for rent.
Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey