Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 01:41 PM

104 posts, read 254,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusitan View Post
goodlord no ...

How much are you saving on tuition by taking this class in Newark? What type of class is it, exactly? Do you have any idea how bad of a city Newark is, crime-wise?

This is a bad idea all around. Don't do it. Someone needs to tell you this straight up.
its not saving, im acutally paying more. this for a medical board exam review at kaplan, not college.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zas View Post
Get a life (clean version only for the board)...Many students go to college in Newark...
exactly and people live there and have normal lives.

so anyone know about the ymca?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2009, 02:50 PM
EB2

1,925 posts, read 6,359,739 times
Try rooming with someone...or, as others have said, commute. It will be much safer. There are parts of Newark that are "okay" (to some...and some very nice neighborhoods, but the "riff raff" tends to drift into them) - but most of it, being a 22 year old female, I'd much rather do without, and just commute (and I live in a highly urbanized city).

Be very careful.

You could also try
Roommates.com
Apartments.com
Rent.com

or, Craigslist.com

Most of us are telling you to be careful for a reason. If you are adamant about staying in Newark, my advice, stay in a hotel for a few nights, and spend time observing what goes on in Newark (via foot or through a bus window, sitting somewhere public, or simply watching from your hotel window) - then see if you feel comfortable enough staying in Newark. I know I wouldn't. (and in fact, I avoid Newark and only go there if I need to go to Penn Station).

Good luck with whatever decision you make.

Old 01-15-2009, 04:39 PM

3,223 posts, read 9,626,348 times
I know there's a YMCA on broad st. a few blocks from penn station, all this area is downtown meaning there are 1000s of workers and students there. For 700 I would highly consider YMCA it's within 20 minute walk and easier than finding a roomy while calculating the commute situation. She can even a bus or lightrail at night if she doesnt feel safe, its 1 stop away lol. the commute only requires broad st and market st, 2 crouded safer streets

Old 01-15-2009, 04:53 PM

1,552 posts, read 4,632,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zas View Post
Get a life (clean version only for the board)...Many students go to college in Newark...
I've got a life - thanks. And my life includes the following two experiences:
(1) living in Newark for many years
(2) going to school in Newark

So go lecture someone else.

But unlike people who actually know Newark, this young woman from Texas, who has no idea about Newark, who is planning on trying to arrange for short-term living arrangements sight-unseen (starting in about two weeks!) and who plans to walk around alone on Broad Street and back and forth to class is setting herself up for a risky situation that I certainly wouldn't want for any of my female family members or friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justaskin View Post
its not saving, im acutally paying more. this for a medical board exam review at kaplan, not college.

exactly and people live there and have normal lives.
Well since you felt the need to chime in -- here's to laughing at your paying more for the privilege of taking a Kaplan study course in Newark but not being able to afford the only truly safe short-term rental option that's being made available to you, i.e. the hotel across the street from the Gateway Center.

Good luck.

Old 01-15-2009, 08:56 PM

43 posts, read 259,199 times
why newark for the kaplan course? i have a cousin who took a similar, if not the same exact course in NYC on 57th street by carnegie hall

Old 01-15-2009, 08:57 PM

43 posts, read 259,199 times
oh and i find it hard to believe that the people who disparage Newark so much have actually spent much time there

Old 01-15-2009, 10:04 PM

1,577 posts, read 5,685,390 times
Oy vey!

People add hot sauce to anything they here. I grew p in Newark until i was 16. Newark has crime, yes. But there is parts of the city hat is a nice place to live. The downtown area is good (where i lived), Ironbound, and the northern section along Belleville and Bloomfield.

The Weequahic section is ok, its alright in the southern section near Hillside, but Weequahic is absence of any other race but black, so that's your own reffrences to tell. Stay as far east as possible from Irvington, Most of the west section of Newark isn't good.

Last edited by Newarkbomb; 01-15-2009 at 10:13 PM..

Old 01-17-2009, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusitan View Post
I've got a life - thanks. And my life includes the following two experiences:
(1) living in Newark for many years
(2) going to school in Newark

So go lecture someone else.

But unlike people who actually know Newark, this young woman from Texas, who has no idea about Newark, who is planning on trying to arrange for short-term living arrangements sight-unseen (starting in about two weeks!) and who plans to walk around alone on Broad Street and back and forth to class is setting herself up for a risky situation that I certainly wouldn't want for any of my female family members or friends.

Well since you felt the need to chime in -- here's to laughing at your paying more for the privilege of taking a Kaplan study course in Newark but not being able to afford the only truly safe short-term rental option that's being made available to you, i.e. the hotel across the street from the Gateway Center.

Good luck.

ya know, if all you came in here to do was put down people then thats real lame. i appreciate your advice but not your sarcasm.

thanks to all for your advice. i've narrowed it down to one apt thats half a mile from the center with a bus stop right in front of it and the hotel offered from the center.

i talked to the lady at the center and she said although lots of students do live at the ymca, but she wouldnt recommend it for a girl. esp since the nearest bus stop is a little walk from it. so ill heed her advice.

Old 01-17-2009, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabrielo View Post
why newark for the kaplan course? i have a cousin who took a similar, if not the same exact course in NYC on 57th street by carnegie hall

the only course thats available before my exam is in newark. i'd have love to go to ny or even houston. but those are a few months late for me.

Old 01-17-2009, 07:40 PM

5,450 posts, read 8,758,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justaskin View Post
ya know, if all you came in here to do was put down people then thats real lame. i appreciate your advice but not your sarcasm.

thanks to all for your advice. i've narrowed it down to one apt thats half a mile from the center with a bus stop right in front of it and the hotel offered from the center.

i talked to the lady at the center and she said although lots of students do live at the ymca, but she wouldnt recommend it for a girl. esp since the nearest bus stop is a little walk from it. so ill heed her advice.
And couple that with a young girl from Texas. Sorry, hon, you will stick out like a sore thumb.
I went to Rutgers Newark and worked in Newark for many years. Although safe during the day and lots of people around, I wouldn't want any of my daughters walking anywhere around Broad and Market, or Penn at night. I never felt unsafe during the day - EVER - and that includes walking around the area of Broad and Market.

Just please stay safe. If something doesn't seem right, it isn't. You have to use common sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey