Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 06:25 PM

6 posts, read 34,781 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
Just wondering if anyone lives in Ocean Grove year round because I was looking to maybe move there and seems to be a lot of affordable rentals. I have been there a few times and it is definately a great little town in close proximity to the beach, but I'm not so sure about establishing residency there. Does it get too touristy and is it impossible to navigate during the summer time?
Also, are there any other affordable beach towns near by? I looked into Brielle, Manasquan and they seemed to be much more pricy. Just looking for a simple 1 bedroom near the beach. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2009, 09:05 PM

825 posts, read 3,160,065 times
I'm not sure what it's like now, but it was originally started out as a Methodist community. They have these weird bungalow tent building things that you can rent out. They're quite expensive actually, considering it's just a piece of canvas.

Old 01-14-2009, 09:07 PM

825 posts, read 3,160,065 times
Oh yeah, and there used to be a law prohibiting driving on Sundays.

Old 01-15-2009, 06:23 AM

1,369 posts, read 4,637,636 times
Ocean Grove (we used to call it Ocean Grave when we were young...get it?) no longer has "blue laws" like not being able to drive on Sundays, etc..

Yes, at one time it was/is? a Methodist summer community where I believe to this day, one can still rent out the tent homes. However, there are many rentals to be had at a fairly good price.

I lived there years ago (1992-93) and back then, there wasn't anything going on in the town. Now I believe there are a few nice places to eat, etc...

It's a dry town (which is a blessing in the summer)...no loud bars... and as an owner, you do not own the land your home is on. You get a 99 year lease from the township.

When I lived there, it had its full of half-way houses and a lot of strange critters were walking around. I do believe that has changed. Parking can be an issue because there isn't a lot of off-street parking so EVERYBODY has to park on the street. I never had a problem with it though.

The rentals themselves can be quite charming. I rented the second floor of an old victorian house that had loads of charm (stained glass windows, claw foot tub, etc...) BUT had teeny closets. You see, back in the day people had two sets of clothes; daily and Sunday)..

Good luck!

Shanny

Old 01-17-2009, 08:48 PM

1,369 posts, read 4,637,636 times
I can see now why many of the veteran posters get sick and tired of answering questions when the op never comes back....sigh!

Shanny (This ...close... to becoming a veteran poster)...lol

Old 01-19-2009, 09:34 AM

Do you mean me? I simply didn't respond yet because I was waiting to see if someone who currently lives there or has lived there recently would be able to give me a better idea of what to expect. Sorry!

Old 01-19-2009, 09:49 AM

1,574 posts, read 4,753,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by overestimated8 View Post
Do you mean me? I simply didn't respond yet because I was waiting to see if someone who currently lives there or has lived there recently would be able to give me a better idea of what to expect. Sorry!
I don't live there, but still visit quite often. It is a lovely town and yes, started as a Methodist camp. Now it is quite diverse. There are very lovely historic homes there, also some*not-so-lovely*boarding houses.
There is a very charming "main st." with restaurants, antique and gift shops.
Personally, I don't find the summer crowds thereto be overwhelming at all. If you're just looking for a one bedroom close to the beach, it's a good bet. I'd check out Sea Bright, too. You can get a nice 1 BR a stone's throw to the beach for a reasonable rent. On the ocean side, some of the buildings have private access to the beach so you wouldn't need to buy a beach tag.
A few of the complexes also have pools.
Good luck!

Old 01-22-2009, 05:16 AM

Great! Thanks everyone

Old 02-18-2009, 06:06 PM

73 posts, read 259,335 times
Hi. Just found your question. I've lived in Ocean Grove 1/2 time (New York city the other 1/2) for the past 5 years. Recently left altogether; on the verge of finding another apartment. I've loved living there. The town definitely swells in the summer. Weekends are so crowded that parking can be a challenge.

OG offers peace and quiet to be found nowhere else on the Jersey Shore. If you can find an affordable place, you won't be sorry.

If you've already moved there, let us know how it's going!

Old 10-31-2009, 08:21 PM

10 posts, read 33,766 times
Hi, I too am considering moving to Ocean Grove. I visited the area yesterday and loved it. I felt like I was in a fairytale with gingerbread houses and dollhouses, hehe. Anyways, after reading this thread I am a bit concerned about the boarding houses. Do they attract a lot of weirdos and undesirables you would not want in your town? I was also concerned about the surrounding areas. How is the crime rate in Ocean Grove? Are there a lot of robberies, etc?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey