U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-17-2009, 08:44 PM

744 posts, read 860,806 times

Advertisements

I wasn't even in America until I was over 30, and even I knew about selective service...

Old 01-18-2009, 05:08 AM

280 posts, read 281,575 times
i recieved a letter in the mail about ss,in my opinion ,it should be mandatory for all ppl to serve 2 yrs in the military ,peaceor war time ,ppl from all walks of life ,no deferrments

i believe it would have instilled values that are lacking in todays society

i myself have never served ,but i wish it was mandatory

Old 01-18-2009, 09:19 AM

793 posts, read 1,814,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
Ok, about had enough at this point. The fact that he didn't register because "he didn't know" just doesn't fly. I'm sorry, but this is the equivalent of draft dodgers in my opinion.

I am absolutely certain he heard about this at some point in his life. I know, I know, he grew up on the streets of Newark. Did he ever hear about the riots there?? I'm sure he heard about soldiers then. There were just big pieces in the papers on the riots reliving the history too.

Hmmmm, never heard about the Vietnam War and the draft? How about people joining the military?? They never heard of that either? Never?? Newark doesn't know anything about these things?? Sorry, don't believe this.

You are coming up with every excuse in the world that he didn't know about this and it's not flying with me. I'm sure you don't care and I really don't blame you for not caring what a stranger thinks. But it's been stewing with me.
Now he wants some type of help and he can't get it because he didn't fulfill his obligation as an American. Well, you know what, I think it's great that they require you to do what you are supposed to do in order to get help. That is akin to wanting any other type of assistance and not doing what you are supposed to do to get it.
Yet, I'm sure on the streets of Newark, everyone knew what they had to do to get their welfare check....
Take out loans...
I'm sorry that his ignorance has caused you so much distress. I'm sure many people feel that way about many other young lost knuckleheads and thugs on the street corners, but that's another topic for another thread. I never claimed that we never heard of the draft. I said he didn't know about SSS. (To be honest, I personally didn't think any registration for any draft was necessary as the government has ways of finding people who they want to find. If they can mail you a letter, couldn't they just put your name in the pot? But maybe I watched to much TV.)

Oh and yes, I'm sure he (or his mom) definitely knew about where to go get welfare, but quite honestly that's a low blow (and comparison of apples to oranges) because in that area, knowledge about welfare is about as common as where the nearest drug dealer is.

Old 01-18-2009, 09:57 AM

2,510 posts, read 1,353,963 times
I was under the impression that it was a government requirement that all high schools had to send in the names of students that were eligable for military service at the appropriate time ?

Old 01-18-2009, 10:21 AM
DNJ

54 posts, read 159,292 times
When my daughter got her first drivers license at 17, she was mistakenly listed as a male. We honestly didn't notice the mistake for months (and she was much more interested in noticing how pretty her hair looked in the photo). Anyway, we did receive a notice in the mail around her 18th birthday that she had to register to SSS. We fixed the license and called SSS to fix the misunderstanding.

Old 01-19-2009, 12:08 AM

2,901 posts, read 5,115,693 times
I don't even know what the hell Selective Service System is. But I carry the paper card to this day in my wallet I got sent int he mail... I was a paper carrier when i was 18 and I think it was mailed to me. All I know is it proves I'm a good citizen or something.

Are boys registered this to keep track of names in event of a drafting for war or somehing? I was never told **** about it in school. Maybe because I went to a vocational school.

Old 01-19-2009, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
Ok, about had enough at this point. The fact that he didn't register because "he didn't know" just doesn't fly. I'm sorry, but this is the equivalent of draft dodgers in my opinion.

I am absolutely certain he heard about this at some point in his life. I know, I know, he grew up on the streets of Newark. Did he ever hear about the riots there?? I'm sure he heard about soldiers then. There were just big pieces in the papers on the riots reliving the history too.

Hmmmm, never heard about the Vietnam War and the draft? How about people joining the military?? They never heard of that either? Never?? Newark doesn't know anything about these things?? Sorry, don't believe this.

You are coming up with every excuse in the world that he didn't know about this and it's not flying with me. I'm sure you don't care and I really don't blame you for not caring what a stranger thinks. But it's been stewing with me.
Now he wants some type of help and he can't get it because he didn't fulfill his obligation as an American. Well, you know what, I think it's great that they require you to do what you are supposed to do in order to get help. That is akin to wanting any other type of assistance and not doing what you are supposed to do to get it.
Yet, I'm sure on the streets of Newark, everyone knew what they had to do to get their welfare check....
Take out loans...
man honestly I'm 22. I NEVER heard of it outside of a fraking letter that was mailed to me of a paper card with my full and social security on it. I dont even rmember what the letter said. My mom didnt act like it was a big deal. So without this I wouldnt have gotten financial aid or welfare help? lol

Old 01-19-2009, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikinman63 View Post
i recieved a letter in the mail about ss,in my opinion ,it should be mandatory for all ppl to serve 2 yrs in the military ,peaceor war time ,ppl from all walks of life ,no deferrments

i believe it would have instilled values that are lacking in todays society

i myself have never served ,but i wish it was mandatory
i beg to differ. i may be registered with selective service but if there was a draft now for iraq, i along with millions would refuse. and i come from a military family. military is demoralizing for people enlisted without a degree. they get benefits but salary sucks compared to officers who do little but exploit their rank

Old 08-18-2011, 08:55 AM

2 posts, read 666 times
I am in a similar boat. I didn't find out about SS requirement until I was 38 years old and applying for financial aid to finish my bachelor's. I was completely mystified by this because my father is a 35-year Air Force Veteran and civil servant and my mother was also a civil servant at the time I turned 18. When I asked them about it, they said they were not aware it was required. THIS IS COMING FROM TWO HIGH-LEVEL MILITARY PERSONNEL. I think the comment that the gentleman "Jerseyt719" made about not being aware was highly offensive and shows great ignorance. Since I found out about, I have quizzed several men in grocery stores, gas stations, wherever. About half of them know and others do not. Many times it depends on your circumstances. I recently found out why my father didn't think it was required. Apparently, between 1975 and 1980, it was not a requirement. My brothers turned 18 in 1977 and 1979. That's why my dad didn't think it was required for me in 1989, he didn't know the law had changed yet again in 1980. I did not grow up in a ghetto and neither did many other people who do not know about this obligation. Plus, what is the point of avoiding a draft for which there is no war to worry about? In 1989, the only talk of war was Iraq, Desert Storm...a military that was taken and over in a blink of an eye. I think this is just an excuse for people to come down on those who grow up different than the "norm".

Old 08-18-2011, 09:30 AM

5,476 posts, read 5,017,078 times
The overriding principle here is Ignorance of the law is no excuse.

Even if you claim to be unaware of a specific part of the motor vehicle code, you can be penalized for violations of that regulation.

Even if you are unaware that a particular municipality imposes a fine of $1,000 for littering, you can be fined that amount for throwing a cigarette butt from your car window.

Even if you claim to be unaware that it is illegal to counterfeit money, you can be imprisoned for that offense.

And so on, and so on.

If claiming ignorance of a statute or regulation was sufficient for people to be found not guilty of an offense, then everyone would claim to be unaware of its existence. Hence, the long-standing legal principle of Ignorance of the law is no excuse.

And, regarding the issue of the requirement that young men register with the SSS upon their 18th birthday, I think that someone would have to be living under the proverbial rock to be unaware of this reality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey