Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 08:33 AM

21,274 posts, read 6,348,592 times

Advertisements

I think there are still parts of Northern Jersey that have "Blue" laws.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2009, 09:22 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,658,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njmike View Post
I think there are still parts of Northern Jersey that have "Blue" laws.
Stupid Bergen County. One of the last remaining blue law counties in the United States. So what people do is travel to surrounding counties and stupid Bergen County loses out on all that spending.

Reminds me of the state I just left that has no state lottery. Everyone crossed over the border states to buy their lottery tickets and the non lottery state lost out on all that income.

Shame on them all........

Old 01-17-2009, 09:53 AM

You would think they would get rid of the blue laws. It's as bad as some towns near here are still "dry" so people travel a few miles to pick up their alcohol.

Old 01-17-2009, 11:26 AM

249 posts, read 753,953 times
I miss Kids World on the Long Branch pier. We used to go there every day in the summer. My older sister used to work on the water slide side, so my mom would drop me and a friend off in the morning and we would stay there by ourselves until my sister got off work.

When you got brave enough, you could take your rubber mat and go down lane 4 (the fast lane) of the water slide.

Old 01-17-2009, 05:45 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,658,815 times
I thought of another one. Anyone remember the old Action Park in Vernon Valley? It was up in the ski resort. There were many thrill seeker rides that were quite dangerous but that is what made it popular. Then a couple dopes got hurt and ruined it for the rest of us.

Remember that dry ski ride that I think was called the Alpine Slide where you held the break between your legs? That damn thing did 65 MPH with no protection except for your own skills to remain on the track.

But the best of all were the real race cars you can rent. $5 per lap and every 10th lap was free. We used to drop $90 for an hour of driving those cars. $90 was a lot of money in the early 80s. They were not toy go-carts. These were real life formula 1 racers.

And those speed boats that did 40 MPH around the island. Those boats were awesome !

Old 01-17-2009, 06:10 PM

Remember going to The Gingerbread Castle, as a kid, in Hamburg.

Old 01-17-2009, 07:02 PM

149 posts, read 410,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
I thought of another one. Anyone remember the old Action Park in Vernon Valley? It was up in the ski resort. There were many thrill seeker rides that were quite dangerous but that is what made it popular. Then a couple dopes got hurt and ruined it for the rest of us.

Remember that dry ski ride that I think was called the Alpine Slide where you held the break between your legs? That damn thing did 65 MPH with no protection except for your own skills to remain on the track.

But the best of all were the real race cars you can rent. $5 per lap and every 10th lap was free. We used to drop $90 for an hour of driving those cars. $90 was a lot of money in the early 80s. They were not toy go-carts. These were real life formula 1 racers.

And those speed boats that did 40 MPH around the island. Those boats were awesome !
Spent many a day there, as well as many a night recovering from my wounds. A great place in the early 80s

Old 01-17-2009, 07:26 PM

5,450 posts, read 8,762,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post

YES!!! That place was great. The Alpine Slide messed up a lot of kids arms (burns) from going to fast around the turns and arms rubbing up against the side of the track.

That was a ball!

Old 01-17-2009, 08:29 PM

652 posts, read 1,785,518 times
Default Mising it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
That would be "2 Guys From Harrison", later shortened to "2 Guys".
I was always told it was "2 guys from Passaic". I went to the one in Clifton. Doh! just realized that might have been a Bradlees. There was a pizza place next to it.
Things I miss, Awful Awful's, rippers, Peanut Chews, Tasty Cake cupcakes, The greasy Spoon diner on Center at Franklin ave, Good bread, Good Deli, The smell of the seasons changing, the leaves, Sledding in Yanticaw and the park upstream, the bonfire at the Mudhole, climbing the bell tower at Holy Family, Crossing the Big tressel hoping a train didn't come, tag in the lumber yard, Tag on the roof of the old caretaker's house in Yanticaw Park.

Last edited by nutleynut; 01-17-2009 at 08:45 PM.. Reason: Mistake

Old 01-18-2009, 06:10 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,880,174 times
NJ still has one. Very nice one too. Been there..

Welcome to the Delsea Drive-In | New Jersey's Only Drive-In Theatre!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0706772 View Post
Drive-ins.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey