Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 02:20 PM

9 posts, read 22,148 times

Advertisements

Hello all-
Just wondering if anyone can help me gather info. on Green Township in sussex county as it has been a bit difficult finding much. Our family currently lives in passaic county and we have become quite disenchanted with our area and superhigh taxes--since the hubby works in morris county, we were wondering if Green twns. would work for us. Here is what we would love to know;

Can you describe the town and surrounding towns and general area?
How are the taxes and what is included, here we have sewers and well water.
How is the school system, and how are the private school choices?
Are there any conv. in town, food shopping, take out--if not, how far?
Is wildlife an issue--we have dogs. And do the winters get brutal?

We are a bit ignorant about the whole sussex county area and any info would be greatly appreciated--thanx a million!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2009, 05:45 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,937,803 times
We built a house in Green Township in 1998. We lived there for 4 years until we got transferred out of state, and we loved it! There is only a K-8 school(about 400 kids then, bigger now) which worked out well for us. It was nice having the kids all in one place. The zoned high school is Newton, my oldest went to Pope John in Sparta, by his choice, but we were happy with the Green school. There are rec programs for soccer, hockey, basketball, football, softball, etc.

It is a rural area, with a mix of older homes around Lake Tranquility (very family friendly) and new developments, on large lots. There are plenty of farms in the area also. It is a great place to raise a family. My kids loved the space, the lakes for swimming and ice skating, and the lack of traffic for ATV's, go-carts, etc.

You will have to travel for food. The nearest grocery store of any size is either in Newton or Byram, both of them being Shop Rites. It would take about 20 minutes each way, so I made sure my list was complete. The town itself does have a couple of general store/deli type places, but they aren't open past 6:00. You can also head south to Hackettstown or Panther Valley for restaurants.

Taxes, as in the rest of NJ, are high. We built our home for $305,000., and were paying about $12,000 in taxes. A good friend who is still on our old street put in a pool, and now pays closer to $16,000.

I think Lake Tranquility is on sewer, we had septic and geothermal heat. I don't remember what was included in the tax rate, but I think weekly garbage and recycling pick up was.

The wildlife is awesome. We regularly had deer, turkey, and bears around. None of them bothered us, it was just a rush to have them in our backyard. Lots of snakes too, but we spoke to Eric Space from Space Farm and he told us Green only had non-venomous snakes, and we chose to believe him!

I was last up there this past summer, and not much had changed. I truly think it was the best place our family ever touched down roots. Unfortunately, my husband's job required regular transfers.

Last point, the winters are cold, but no colder than the rest of North Jersey. You can contract with any of the area farmers to plow your driveway pretty cheap.

Old 01-17-2009, 06:37 AM

7,577 posts, read 22,598,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquamarina View Post
Hello all-
Just wondering if anyone can help me gather info. on Green Township in sussex county as it has been a bit difficult finding much. Our family currently lives in passaic county and we have become quite disenchanted with our area and superhigh taxes--since the hubby works in morris county, we were wondering if Green twns. would work for us. Here is what we would love to know;

Can you describe the town and surrounding towns and general area?
How are the taxes and what is included, here we have sewers and well water.
How is the school system, and how are the private school choices?
Are there any conv. in town, food shopping, take out--if not, how far?
Is wildlife an issue--we have dogs. And do the winters get brutal?

We are a bit ignorant about the whole sussex county area and any info would be greatly appreciated--thanx a million!
I just sold a house in neighboring Frelinghuysen. Green is one of my favorite areas of NJ. Taxes are not cheap nor is there a "downtown" to speak of. But Newton and Hackettstown are about a 10 to 15 min drive in either direction and there's tons of shopping in both of those areas. There's also the Mt Olive Trade Zone which has tons of shopping and places to eat. Frelinghuysen's taxes are a bit lower and it's closer to Rt. 80. Both Newton HS and North Warren Regional are average HS. There is Blair Academy - Private HS if you have 28Kyr to spend on tuition .
We had foxes, bears, coyotes.. even rumored by a neighbor that we had bobcats??? If you have dogs, the wild animlas will be more afraid of them. I think that area is one of the nicest areas in NJ.
The winters were average... we didn't get as much as northern Sussex County. It's a great area..

Old 01-17-2009, 04:02 PM

24 posts, read 71,542 times
how is 206 during commute? I am thinking of green too but not sure how my commute would be going to east hanover and back home??

thanks

Old 01-17-2009, 04:21 PM

1,983 posts, read 7,515,341 times
I looked in Green when I thought I was moving closer to work in Madison but I never moved. Green is a very nice area commutable to points east if you leave early enough (no later than 6:15) to get on 80, 206 or the back roads. I found the area to be quiet, pretty with lots of country character. Housing is very reasonable though taxes in Green are higher than most of Sussex. If you're going to be going out that way I think Green is a great choice but you'll have a Newton mailing address and some of the other towns around there are hit and miss. I don't think shopping is very convenient. You might also consider Allamuchy in Warren County, taxes are less.

Old 01-17-2009, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerzenian View Post
how is 206 during commute? I am thinking of green too but not sure how my commute would be going to east hanover and back home??

thanks
Skip 206 - head down 517 S to Rt. 80 E. It takes about 50 mins. to the Hanovers as long as you leave early - 6:00 - 6:30 the latest.

Old 01-17-2009, 05:44 PM

24 posts, read 71,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
Skip 206 - head down 517 S to Rt. 80 E. It takes about 50 mins. to the Hanovers as long as you leave early - 6:00 - 6:30 the latest.
that's exit 19 and going backwards,
I would be 5 mins from 206, then I'm
thinking take 183. is it really backed
up at 7am?

Old 01-17-2009, 07:16 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,937,803 times
When we lived in Green, my husband and I both worked in Parsippany. His hours could be flexible, I had to be in the office by 9:00. I would leave the house by 7:30, and would probably hit the Ledgewood exit on 80 before I ran into traffic. Then it was pretty much jammed until Parsippany. Moving, but heavy. More often than not I got into work early enough to pick up breakfast.

Old 01-18-2009, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerzenian View Post
that's exit 19 and going backwards,
I would be 5 mins from 206, then I'm
thinking take 183. is it really backed
up at 7am?
That stretch of 206 is brutal in the AM as well as the PM... going backwards for 5-10 mins. will actualy save you time. Sounds like you are looking in the Tranquility section of Green?
Also..why cut off onto 183? Rt 80 is right there.

Old 01-18-2009, 07:30 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,513,457 times
why the hell are taxes so high? I mean 305K home at 12K!! Do you have a ton of land? If not holy crap, better off in Bergen County thats cheaper!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey