Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 09:43 PM

32,756 posts, read 35,956,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan View Post
Pitbull !!! No wonder your worried. Can't imagine why anyone would want this breed as a pet.......especially when its owner even admits it gets weird !!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2009, 09:46 PM

32,756 posts, read 35,956,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan View Post
Hello back.......sweet or not......they were genetically bred to be killers....deep down under the "sweetness" those genes could surface given the right set of circumstances........Yes.....any dog can be trained to be vicious but that being said I've never heard of an "attack poodle". You can't train genes out of a dog.
Poodles are an aggressive breed.

Old 01-27-2009, 10:01 PM

9 posts, read 28,422 times
Wow, this thread spiraled out of control pretty quickly. Pitbulls are used in fighting rings because their strong jaws in addition to their genetic sense of loyalty (wanting to please their owners) make them easy to train and "entertaining" to watch. Pitbulls were the original "nanny" dogs, look up some old pictures... you'd be amazed. My biggest problem with pitbulls is the people who (often) own them. Young men who want a "tough" looking dog, with no desire to train or knowledge of how to socialize it properly. Do I get nervous when I see a pittie approaching... sometimes, especially when I spot who's on the other end of that leash... but I've met some incredibly sweet pit bulls and my dog is friends with a few at our local dog park. Dogs from fighting lines, bred for generations to select for aggression, may be beyond hope. But that's not the vast majority of pits. Oh, and for all your evidence, go look up the list of dog bite prevalence by breed... you'll be shocked at what you see. (Spoiler, pit bulls are NOT the number one breed involved in dog bites in the US).

As for Goldens and the nature of retrieving dogs (now you've hit on my breed ) No, the bird is not always dead when it lands. But the dogs are bred for a "soft mouth" and should not take it upon themselves to finish the job. A glancer should arrive to the hunter's hand still alive, provided it doesn't bleed out before getting there.

Old 01-27-2009, 10:26 PM

2,510 posts, read 3,955,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmomNJ View Post
Wow, this thread spiraled out of control pretty quickly. Pitbulls are used in fighting rings because their strong jaws in addition to their genetic sense of loyalty (wanting to please their owners) make them easy to train and "entertaining" to watch. Pitbulls were the original "nanny" dogs, look up some old pictures... you'd be amazed. My biggest problem with pitbulls is the people who (often) own them. Young men who want a "tough" looking dog, with no desire to train or knowledge of how to socialize it properly. Do I get nervous when I see a pittie approaching... sometimes, especially when I spot who's on the other end of that leash... but I've met some incredibly sweet pit bulls and my dog is friends with a few at our local dog park. Dogs from fighting lines, bred for generations to select for aggression, may be beyond hope. But that's not the vast majority of pits. Oh, and for all your evidence, go look up the list of dog bite prevalence by breed... you'll be shocked at what you see. (Spoiler, pit bulls are NOT the number one breed involved in dog bites in the US).

As for Goldens and the nature of retrieving dogs (now you've hit on my breed ) No, the bird is not always dead when it lands. But the dogs are bred for a "soft mouth" and should not take it upon themselves to finish the job. A glancer should arrive to the hunter's hand still alive, provided it doesn't bleed out before getting there.
I agree with all you say..... and I'm sure there are many dog bite cases by all breeds yearly......the problem with pitbulls is that they don't seem satisfied with a "warning" bite to tell you that they're aggravated and need to be left alone.....the problem is they apparently just go beserk in unprovoked situations that generally leaves the owner lost for an explanation.....and they are not satisfied with a bite....its a vicious attack to mame of kill.......many times the victim is a harmless elderly person or child. The bottom line is that no matter how sweet for how long theres always that chance that generations of breeding and instinct to kill will eventually surface.

Old 01-28-2009, 02:12 PM

72 posts, read 325,373 times
The Wonder Bar in Asbury has a Yappy Hour.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/16/nyregion/16towns.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: