Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 01:08 PM

1,453 posts, read 4,929,134 times

Advertisements

The economy in Upstate NY and much of PA leaves much to be desired. There are lots of jobs in NC. This has long been true. The other thing would be the weather and not everyone has the bulk of their family in the northeast anymore. Most of the people relocating to the Carolinas are people with kids. Single people would much rather go elsewhere. But these families need discretionary income and they are more interested in that than any redneck related issues. Money is driving these relocations. Also of interest to families, NC has a very inexpensive community college system and an inexpensive state university system. A very large system and this is important to people with kids. Where is one going to work in the Catskills? People will not stand for 2 hours plus commutes.

Southerners seem to have a love affair with sprawl and driving. Most of them have never taken a public bus in their life and they don't consider streets full of fast food chains as eyesores. That is a true negative for many transplants but they still move down in droves because of the obvious practical considerations. A single person would be much more likely to relocate to Maryland or maybe Albany or Philly but that is a very different circumstance. Young people who grow up in NY/NJ area relocate everywhere imaginable. The trend is not necessarily to stay close by. There really is no trend for people in the younger age group as they have nothing tieing them down.

The suburban way of life may seem unnatural and unhealthy but it is now the way of life for the majority of Americans. Some people know no other life and in the case of the Carolinas- many have never experienced true urban living. They have no frame of reference for it and would be out of their comfort zone in an actual city. They generally do not question the way of life where they live and assume that most people wish to live as they do. It is a new kind of bubble. The old school southern bubble replaced by the newer dixie-sprawl/mall bubble. Hopefully the older small towns with main streets there will remain intact as that is what the old south was known for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2007, 08:00 PM

22 posts, read 76,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
So far from poring over the threads on the NJ forum, I'm noticing a definite trend that a LOT of people who were born and raised in NJ are being "priced out" of their beloved state due to a corrupt government and its overtaxing policies. That's understandable to me. However, I'm just curious as to why you're all moving hundreds upon hundreds of miles away? I believe NC, SC, and ME were all mentioned on here---not one of you mentioned PA, MD, DE, Upstate NY, etc. Why? If you have family/friends who are staying behind in NJ, then wouldn't it make the most sense to try to find a nicer area that's still within a 2-3 hour drive of NJ in case you get homesick? I know much of MD is becoming an expensive place to live (especially in the Anne Arundel County area), but there are still many nice, affordable, quiet communities in both PA and Upstate NY that would fit your conditions perfectly. I'm talking about some "forgotten" areas, such as the Catskills, Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, the Southern Tier of Upstate NY, etc. These areas are all within two hours or so of NJ, yet they're a world apart in many respects.

I just spent a half-hour last night doing a Google Earth search of the area around Lake Norman in NC, and all I could think of was "YUCK! How could people in NJ clamor to live in a place like that?" All I saw were subdivisions, tract housing, McMansions, strip malls, Wal-Marts, gas stations, etc. There didn't appear to be many, if any, quaint town centers with traditional Main Streets; it was just a free-for-all of urban sprawl. You're moving from NJ, which is one of the most congested, most densely-populated states in the country, to a setting like THAT? Why don't any of you consider PA or Upstate NY for a little fresh air and a more relaxing lifestyle? We're not ALL rednecks, contrary to popular belief. LOL!

I actually commute everday to Philly. Yes it's about a 2 hour commute and i've done so for about a year. In the beginng, when i started working for the company i currently am at they were willing to pay for my relocation to philly but took my time to get to know the area. I definitely did not like it at all. Then i also looked at the outskirts of Philly (suburban areas) and it just wasn't worth it for me. I also thought it would be cheaper to live in PA than where i am right now in north jersey. I compared prices and there wasn't much of a huge difference. Right now the choice to relocate is either NC or Atlanta. So far i'm leaning with NC.

Old 04-14-2007, 02:11 PM

169 posts, read 778,203 times
Look around the city areas of NC-- Raleigh, Cary, Chapel Hill, Winston-Salem, Greensboro, and Charlotte. There is lots to do and in a 20-minute drive you're in the Southern country. I live there now and I can't imagine moving back to New Jersey.

Suburban sprawl is better than what New Jersey has-- at least in Bergen County, the place is a huge mall and going someplace 5 miles away might take half an hour.

One big difference between the Northeast and North Carolina besides the job market-- North Carolinians are SO NICE. I'm originally from the Midwest and my parents visited here a few months ago-- I had long figured out that New Jerseyans in general were not as nice as Midwesterners. However, my parents could not believe how NICE everyone in NC is-- they helped us out, gave us things free when they found out my parents were visitors, stopped and talked to us when they saw an Illinois license plate because they knew someone from Illinois-- this would not happen as often in Illinois and it would never happen in New Jersey. I lived there for a year and I can't recall one stranger being nice to me. Upstate New York has terrible weather, with 2-foot snows on a regular basis.

Where do you live now in Southern Illinois? If you move to NJ, get used to lots of traffic, traffic, traffic, all the time, even late at night and early in the morning. This is not the case in Southern IL. Everything's very expensive, too, especially restaurants, in comparison to Illinois prices. The weather is much worse, too-- it snows in Illiniois, sure, but only once a year compared to so much in NJ, and 2 feet at a time rather than 2 inches. That was hard to get used to.

Old 04-14-2007, 02:40 PM

1,453 posts, read 4,929,134 times
If you're looking for something that feels like home- NJ/NY is not that place. The Carolinas would work out much much better for you and feel more like home.

Old 05-17-2007, 11:04 PM

123 posts, read 568,218 times
Wait a minute...everyone needs to stop the Jersey bashing! As a lifelong Jersey boy, I can truly say that Bergen County is the greatest place on earth. I have been to many other states and 3 other countries and can really say I love New Jersey. Where else are you going to be in a state that has the best schools in the nation, live so close to NYC and all the culture it has to offer, yet still live in a small town with its own little Main Street full of shops that remind everyone of a Norman Rockwell painting? That's right, you couldn't come up with an answer! Not only is NJ home to the best schools, but the best people...Bergen County is not just one big mall but the best place to be in the country. It may be a little congested, but where do you think the Carolina's are going to be in 5-10 years? That's right, they will have traffic too. Shame on everyone for being so mean about New Jersey! I cannot wait to buy a house, have a family and live in Bergen County, NJ. Parkway exit 168 Forever!

And for the person who was looking at homes in Ridgewood, Glen Rock, Ho-Ho-Kus, Waldwick and Glen Ridge, the first three are by far the best. All have great school systems...Waldwick's actually sucks, and Glen Ridge is a nice small little town in between larger, bad towns. I personally love Ho-Ho-Kus and believe it is a great place to raise a family.

Old 05-18-2007, 11:31 AM

10,206 posts, read 15,910,503 times
Why would you move to New Jersey of all places?!?!?!? I would live in Chicago over New Jersey or NY anyday and you're from Illinois!

Prices here in Maryland/Virginia are ridiculous because transplants from NEW JERSEY and NY drove them up. Hope this gives you a measure on affordability in the Refinery....um...GARDEN State.

Old 05-18-2007, 11:57 AM

1,346 posts, read 2,202,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapin2212 View Post
Why would you move to New Jersey of all places?!?!?!? I would live in Chicago over New Jersey or NY anyday and you're from Illinois!

Prices here in Maryland/Virginia are ridiculous because transplants from NEW JERSEY and NY drove them up. Hope this gives you a measure on affordability in the Refinery....um...GARDEN State.

now that we've heard the foolish and ignorant view

Old 11-24-2007, 11:34 PM

61 posts, read 119,893 times
Default Highest Salaries in the country

You guys really need to take into consideration that you make more than anyone in the country living NJ. Many people talk about the high cost of living, but if you actually do the homework and do city comparisons of cost of living compared to what you actually make for a similar position elsewhere, you will certainly struggle to find anywhere with a better Salary to cost of living ratio than NJ.

For Instance. New York City is 52% more expensive than living in Newark NJ, but the same job only pays 2% more in NYC. Los Angeles much more expensive than North Jersey cities and the pay is NJ is on average much higher than Los Angeles. That goes for Chicago as well. Go ahead, look up any city you want and you will have a very hard time finding a better situation than what you have in NJ.

http://swz.salary.com/costoflivingwi...coll_start.asp

I live in Scottsdale/Phoenix Arizona which has the 2nd best job market in the country and very low cost of living. Still, if I look up what I would make in NJ for the same position I would have Thousands of dollars of disposable income moving to NJ once I balance out the cost of living compared to a much higher salary in NJ for the same job.
Use any website you want and you will see that the state of NJ has the highest salary average than any state in the U.S..

Leave NJ and you will certainly frown on your new salary even with the lowered cost of living. I was blown away by the numbers. You almost certainly benefit moving to NJ no matter where you are from.

ALSO: Look on Craigslist.com, or gardenstateapartments.com and you will see an abundance of 2 bedroom apartments in all areas of the state under $1200

Don't even get me started on the Mid West.. Yeah, Chicago is a great city and is beautiful and pleasant... about 2 months out of the year when you aren't freezing your !@# off and knee deep in snow, or dying from humidity in the Summer. Worst weather in the United States. Chicago doesn't even compare to Portland, SF, San Diego, or Seattle if you're looking for a beautifully set city and enjoy the outdoors at all. Or AZ if you're into a beautiful and unique desert. But, if you're looking for Urban life, nothing has the variety, history and culture of the East coast. Everything else in this country is a wannabe in that regard. NYC is the greatest, most famous city on planet earth (much less the U.S.) and is definitely the most diverse. Not to Mention all the culture and history Boston, NJ and Philly have to offer.

Last edited by cevett; 11-25-2007 at 12:25 AM..

Old 11-25-2007, 05:57 AM

5,818 posts, read 12,620,766 times
Very well said. One question are you Governor Corzine.LOL Only kidding

Old 12-19-2007, 01:11 AM

61 posts, read 119,893 times
Ha! No, although I wouldn't mind the salary.. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey