U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-19-2009, 09:50 AM

7,577 posts, read 14,204,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdweisman View Post
i never saw one of those until i moved into this house. i have had two of those stink bugs in the house in the last month or two. how the heck do you get rid of them? they are pretty gross!
I've been researching and it seems that just before the fall is the time to prepare for the battle. One article said to put DE..diastiscious (sp?) earth down - they eat it and die but it's harmless to mammels? I had never seen one before in my life! My cat got the stink in his mouth the other day..guess he won't be trying to catch anymore of those little pesks
We also had a load of elder bugs? I've been catching them and throwing them outside..same for the stink bugs..well except for the one that fell on my head the other night...wasn't much left to him after I did my " get this crazy bug out of my hair dance" Sure glad no one was around to see it...lol.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2009, 09:57 AM

9 posts, read 11,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
I've been researching and it seems that just before the fall is the time to prepare for the battle. One article said to put DE..diastiscious (sp?) earth down - they eat it and die but it's harmless to mammels? I had never seen one before in my life! My cat got the stink in his mouth the other day..guess he won't be trying to catch anymore of those little pesks
We also had a load of elder bugs? I've been catching them and throwing them outside..same for the stink bugs..well except for the one that fell on my head the other night...wasn't much left to him after I did my " get this crazy bug out of my hair dance" Sure glad no one was around to see it...lol.
LMMFAO!!!!!!

Old 01-19-2009, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmeeks View Post
LMMFAO!!!!!!
this is about right

Old 01-19-2009, 10:46 AM

3,220 posts, read 3,810,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
this is about right

LOL! That's a good one!

The OP should live in a urban area (like me) and they'll be practically no worries.

The Deer and the Antelope surely don't play here in the Southeast Bergen/Northern Hudson County area. I never ever heard of a tick problem in this area in my 47 years (alive) living here.

Old 01-19-2009, 01:40 PM

2,510 posts, read 1,137,275 times
Quote:
i was wondering if anyone knows if there are any tick problems in northwest NJ? I am really bugaphobic and I am planning on moving up north. NJ intrigues me but if there are ticks no thanks! And while where on the issue is there any other critters that I should worry about? Im am currently from Orlando, FL. I havent seen a tick in my life and trust me pest control has my house under TIGHT control. I would like to keep it that way.
Yes......New Jersey has ticks and so does every other state including Florida....perhaps more. My daughter lives in Ocala, which is near Orlando, and they have 3 dogs. All are on Frontline+ to control ticks......your fooling yourself if you think Florida doesn't have any ticks or your going to move someplace that doesn't have ticks......except maybe "fantasyland" ?

Old 01-19-2009, 02:15 PM

9 posts, read 11,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan View Post
Yes......New Jersey has ticks and so does every other state including Florida....perhaps more. My daughter lives in Ocala, which is near Orlando, and they have 3 dogs. All are on Frontline+ to control ticks......your fooling yourself if you think Florida doesn't have any ticks or your going to move someplace that doesn't have ticks......except maybe "fantasyland" ?
well ive lived in orlando for 13 years now and um the only reason my dogs are on flea and tick medication is for the prevention. I have never seen a tick or flea and either of my dogs and one of them spends most of her time outside in the hot florida heat. I am not kidding myself about that. I dont do any other prevention except for that and heartworm cuz of mosquitos sometimes in the summer. Ticks are something that I do not see in my area...So I guess it all depends.. right now i dont live near woods... there are a few small man made lakes in my neighborhood. Trust me my home was infested with any ticks i wouldnt be living here. Thanks to everyone so far that has left a response. I have gotten some great feedback to my question and I appreciate it.

Old 01-19-2009, 03:02 PM

249 posts, read 430,677 times
In the spring/summer I pull a lot of ticks off my dog, but I've never had one on myself (that I was aware of). She likes to go deep into the woods though.

Old 01-19-2009, 03:07 PM

2,510 posts, read 1,137,275 times
Quote:
well ive lived in orlando for 13 years now and um the only reason my dogs are on flea and tick medication is for the prevention. I have never seen a tick or flea and either of my dogs and one of them spends most of her time outside in the hot florida heat. I am not kidding myself about that. I dont do any other prevention except for that and heartworm cuz of mosquitos sometimes in the summer. Ticks are something that I do not see in my area...So I guess it all depends.. right now i dont live near woods... there are a few small man made lakes in my neighborhood. Trust me my home was infested with any ticks i wouldnt be living here. Thanks to everyone so far that has left a response. I have gotten some great feedback to my question and I appreciate it.
OK....your right......all other 49 states have ticks but Florida has none......what do they do.....turn them back at the border ?

Old 01-19-2009, 03:11 PM

11,505 posts, read 19,898,086 times
Quote:
do you think homes get "infested with ticks" up here? i suppose if you don't put a collar on your dog and don't watch them closely it could happen, but it's usually 1 tick on an animal or person. it's not like "The Birds" or anything.

Old 01-19-2009, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan View Post
OK....your right......all other 49 states have ticks but Florida has none......what do they do.....turn them back at the border ?
OP may not be too far off:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey