U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 11:31 PM

10,339 posts, read 8,955,959 times

Advertisements

I'm just looking forward to getting my free stuff. I might even retire early. Woot!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2009, 11:39 PM

3,220 posts, read 4,064,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
I'm just looking forward to getting my free stuff. I might even retire early. Woot!!!!
Just don't hold your breath, as you might "retire" someplace else you don't want to be.

Old 01-20-2009, 06:05 AM

5,044 posts, read 4,464,906 times
I've heard security alone today is going to cost $500m..... I hope that was a misquoted figure. Seriously, a half a billion for security.

NOT just for the incoming, but for all the celebs as well AND I heard it's out of our pockets. That's just wrong. I think the celebs should fork over the cash.

Old 01-20-2009, 06:35 AM

336 posts, read 929,707 times
Dear Mr. Bush,

Don't let the door hit you in the a**.

Old 01-20-2009, 06:43 AM

11,698 posts, read 21,533,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njguy View Post
You meant "The Messiah" right?
No, that's Chris Christie.

Old 01-20-2009, 07:14 AM

404 posts, read 738,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njguy View Post
Tired of promises made and broken for too long now.

Every new president "feels" like he's the savior on this day and then it's back to business as
usual till the next presidential election.

If Obama delivers then he'll get praise from me.

I'm taking a wait and see approach and not a "I don't care how bad a shape financially I have it as long as he's president everything is then Okay" frenzy thinking many people are actually saying out loud.

Another thing: This presidential hoopla is costing $180 million in which $49 million is coming from the taxpayers. All this when this country is in a recession, so where's the proper example shown here? I hear no criticism about this high spending at all.

When Bush had his hoopla it cost 1/4 of this amount in much better times and he got criticized for spending that much lower $$ amount.

Double standards are in effect here.
I don't recall Obama ever saying he was came down from the clouds to save us. It was the people who wanted something new after 8 years of Bushie that started the whole "messiah" thing.

As far as his inaguration, I don't know if you noticed or not but things cost more today than they did 8 years ago. Maybe things could've been toned down somewhat but $150 million is but a fraction of what we waste money on in this country.

Old 01-20-2009, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nauticadon View Post
I don't recall Obama ever saying he was came down from the clouds to save us. It was the people who wanted something new after 8 years of Bushie that started the whole "messiah" thing.

As far as his inaguration, I don't know if you noticed or not but things cost more today than they did 8 years ago. Maybe things could've been toned down somewhat but $150 million is but a fraction of what we waste money on in this country.
"Change" - These are the words he uttered throughout his campaign.

So yes, that's like coming down from the clouds to save us meaning.

Things like this hoopla didn't go up 4 times either - yes things went up but not by that 4X more.

Old 01-20-2009, 07:57 AM

563 posts, read 772,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nauticadon View Post
but $150 million is but a fraction of what we waste money on in this country.

Remind me please what are the useless stupid wars costing the Taxpayer ever day ?

Old 01-20-2009, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Sebring View Post
Remind me please what are the useless stupid wars costing the Taxpayer ever day ?
Yeah You, I and everyone else here wants some of that money too.

Old 01-20-2009, 08:12 AM

3,859 posts, read 7,002,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Sebring View Post
Any $$ spent on truly protecting our soldiers is never a "waste" regardless of whether I agree or disagree with a war. As long as soldiers are in harm's way-I want them protected and never consider that a waste. The debate on the war is another argument but $$ for our soldiers is a not a waste.

The amount of $$ spent on this 4 day Obama ego-fest/love-in, well to me that is a waste. Why the need for such excess in the time of economic issues? The same people that go after the rich for living extravigantly with their own $$ have no problem with this ridiculous days long event.

Also-agreeing with other posters-the only change I expect is for more $$ to be taken from me. He is letting the Bush tax cuts expire-which means anyone who pays taxes will pay MORE. Afterall, those tax cuts were not just for the "evil rich". The lowest tax % now at 10% is going to 15%. The marriage penalty will be returning for middle class workers. However, Pelosi, Obama and company act like those tax cuts were just for the evil rich, well the last time I checked someone in the 10% bracket is not my definition of "rich". Although with some of these politicians, if you actually PAY income taxes they want to classify you as rich. Also if the estate tax goes back to 675,000-one house and modest savings in NJ will easily put you over the top.

Last edited by nicolem; 01-20-2009 at 08:23 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey