U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 08:51 AM
Status: "Can't stop time. Enjoy THIS moment" (set 16 days ago)

503 posts, read 1,136,825 times
Default Fed up with crowds and traffic

Do you find that you avoid going to attractions on the weekend because you know that it will be way crowded and lots of traffic? I never really thought of this and took it as a way of normal life until I was talking to someone who just moved here. They were shocked at how crowded local attraction in NJ were. I'd have to agree. Sometime we want to go to the beach or boardwalk for a nice outing and then think of all the traffic and second guess our decision and stay home. We never go to Great Adventure any more because its not worth it unless its mid week. Even driving into NY city turns us off. Between tolls and parking we often wonder if its worth it, yes we could take the trains but with kids its more work than its worth. Am I the only one thinking that our state is way over crowded. I just think we are missing out on some great stuff because of this. Do you think this is a common problem else where? Please tell me some positive things that your family has enjoyed recently to make living here feel worth it.

Yes I know a walk in the park is free and not crowded!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2009, 09:44 AM

10,427 posts, read 29,083,342 times
Oh yea, your not alone. On weekends Lake Hopatcong had so many boats on it you could walk across the lake over the boats without getting wet. We used to stay in the marina. For the annual big sportsmen shows we would take a day off from work to do it on a week day. Same thing for heading to the shore or even going out to eat, we went on a week day.

What kind of a nut would get on the GSP going south on a Saturday morning? For some people, getting in with mobs is part of the fun. They are the ones sitting on the GSP with their car in park staring at the people in the cars next to them who are suffering just the same.

Old 01-20-2009, 10:42 AM

2,707 posts, read 4,856,329 times
I never found crowds to be that cumbersome. If crowds down the shore bother you, do some research and find beaches that are not crowded. If you go to Pt. Pleasant or Seaside on a summer Saturday, of course it will be crowded. Places like Spring Lake, Sea Girt, Bradley Beach, etc are less touristy and much less crowded.

And I would never drive into NYC. If anything, drive to Harrison, park there, and jump on the PATH train.

Of course, if crowds bother you, then NYC is not the place to visit (it's the largest city in the US....by FAR).

This area is densely populated, sure. There is ONE reason why it's densely populated ... because it's a desirable area to live in. If you want less population density, you can move to Montana. But then I'm not sure where you or your husband would work, and there aren't many "attractions" in Montana to go to.

Old 01-20-2009, 11:00 AM

2,897 posts, read 5,001,850 times
It's all about planning for less crouded times or taking a route with less traffic even if it's further. I never go anyway far for 4th of july or labor day weekend. For instance plan 6 flags for before/ after summer during school weeks.

Old 01-20-2009, 11:02 AM

7,646 posts, read 11,164,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Oh yea, your not alone. On weekends Lake Hopatcong had so many boats on it you could walk across the lake over the boats without getting wet. We used to stay in the marina. For the annual big sportsmen shows we would take a day off from work to do it on a week day. Same thing for heading to the shore or even going out to eat, we went on a week day.

What kind of a nut would get on the GSP going south on a Saturday morning? For some people, getting in with mobs is part of the fun. They are the ones sitting on the GSP with their car in park staring at the people in the cars next to them who are suffering just the same.
Great post.

Old 01-20-2009, 11:07 AM

1,985 posts, read 4,742,613 times
Attractions? I go to Shoprite at 7am to avoid lines and stupidity.

Old 01-20-2009, 11:10 AM

2,897 posts, read 5,001,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoorestownResident View Post
Attractions? I go to Shoprite at 7am to avoid lines and stupidity.
Ha! U have the stupidity idea right. I drove there one Thursday evening to buy 1 dustpan and ended up leaving without it because of lines and stupidity.

Old 01-20-2009, 11:12 AM

1 posts, read 1,026 times
Default Missing NJ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by familymom View Post
Do you find that you avoid going to attractions on the weekend because you know that it will be way crowded and lots of traffic? I never really thought of this and took it as a way of normal life until I was talking to someone who just moved here. They were shocked at how crowded local attraction in NJ were. I'd have to agree. Sometime we want to go to the beach or boardwalk for a nice outing and then think of all the traffic and second guess our decision and stay home. We never go to Great Adventure any more because its not worth it unless its mid week. Even driving into NY city turns us off. Between tolls and parking we often wonder if its worth it, yes we could take the trains but with kids its more work than its worth. Am I the only one thinking that our state is way over crowded. I just think we are missing out on some great stuff because of this. Do you think this is a common problem else where? Please tell me some positive things that your family has enjoyed recently to make living here feel worth it.

Yes I know a walk in the park is free and not crowded!

I lived in Northern NJ most of my life and raised 3 sons there. I always avoided the crowds, if I could, so I lived up in the Ramapo Mountains. But I commuted 7 years for work to Westchester (as a single mom). Then I was downsized and got a job in Cleveland area. Been here 4 years and have bought at least 3 hours a day of my life back just from not having to deal with traffic. I miss NJ because my sons and grandchildren are in the area. I am homesick, but what stops me from coming back is the dense population. Still am homesick although have made some great friends here.

Old 01-20-2009, 11:14 AM

1,985 posts, read 4,742,613 times
I've left many a store, sometimes with half a cart full of stuff. The bottom line is if you cannot run your store and make it a terrible experience, you don't deserve my business. Same thing with Target et al. One time I had maybe three items, lines were so long that I went up to customer service and he said sorry can't check out here and I left the stuff right on the counter and said, nope, I'm sorry, and walked out.

Old 01-20-2009, 12:03 PM

44,225 posts, read 5,914,055 times
Can you imagine how much more congested it will be in the next few years? How I wish we could move but it's not in the cards right now. To avoid the crowds, especially on the weekends any errands get done before 9 or during the week if possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey