U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-28-2009, 09:50 AM
 
527 posts, read 859,861 times
Reputation: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
Let's clear this up..

Your time IS of value. However, there are too many bad in your profession that have made it so you that aren't, need to work three times as hard to please the cynics. I know I'm one of them. Just when you're burned too many times, it's hard to not be afraid to go near fire again.

A lot of people think of you guys like they do car salesman.

I have a lot of respect for what most of you are saying. You sound like the true professionals most of us expected when we were dealing with realtors.

I'm sorry you all go through this every day. You guys need to be paid and those of us needing your services need to save as much as we can. You are going to encounter ruthlessness from both sides, unfortunately.

To the good realtors, continue what you're doing and eventually you will restore the respect to your profession that you deserve.
Thanks Jerseyt719 - There are many bad in every profession. For example just looking at my private list of people I hope to never work with again, there are 3 Attorneys, 4 Mortgage People, 2 different home inspectors, a Dentist, 2 different web designers, and various contractors including plumbers, electricians ... who I will never hire, and will discurage people from using if asked about them.

I am sorry to say, that it seems to be the prevailing trend among the American work force, to be lazy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-28-2009, 10:36 AM
 
Location: NJ
11,504 posts, read 19,877,960 times
Reputation: 4315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
It's about me getting paid what I am worth, not what someone with whom I have no contract feels like paying me. Apparently, the Realtor in this particular case would NOT be happy with the amount the seller wants her to be paid. So it's NOT a win win win.

As an aside, I happen to feel that the negotiation in this case was poorly handled, and I can't really be sure if that was because of the Realtor or the seller. It appears the seller says "You want too much, go away," and the Realtor is saying "This is what I want, take it or leave it." We might just not be hearing the details, but if I were EITHER of these two people, I'd certainly have made overtures into a negotiation, instead of just a hard line in the sand with no discussion. I'm more likely to blame that failure on the Realtor, who should have been smart enough to say, "Listen, let me show you why I feel it's necessary that I be compensated x amount. And if you can show me that you are in fact knowledgable & capable enough that I am not taking additional work or risk, perhaps I can forgo that additional fee."

Bill, we're talking past each other. I'm talking about my specific situation, where I paid 3%, which is the amount you would've gotten being my agent or the buyer's. I'm not talking about FSBO's who pay .25 or .5%. I'm gathering from your posts that you don't believe 3% is enough. Am I wrong? If I'm not, it appears you would not have shown your clients my house. Please correct me if my assumptions are incorrect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-28-2009, 10:54 AM
 
527 posts, read 859,861 times
Reputation: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
Bill, we're talking past each other. I'm talking about my specific situation, where I paid 3%, which is the amount you would've gotten being my agent or the buyer's. I'm not talking about FSBO's who pay .25 or .5%. I'm gathering from your posts that you don't believe 3% is enough. Am I wrong? If I'm not, it appears you would not have shown your clients my house. Please correct me if my assumptions are incorrect.
What is your goal here tahiti? It seems to be to trap him into saying something you can pounce on and say, yeah your one of those dirty.

From the experence I have had so far with you, if you were a FSBO and I might want to show your home, I would assume there was more Risk just knowing what I know now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-28-2009, 11:01 AM
 
1,529 posts, read 2,791,259 times
Reputation: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
To the good realtors, continue what you're doing and eventually you will restore the respect to your profession that you deserve.
Unfortunately, I don't think real estate agents will regain the respect of the public unless and until they put in place some real disciplinary authority within their ranks and start policing their errant colleagues. There are simply far too many unqualified or otherwise bad apples in the bunch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-28-2009, 11:04 AM
 
498 posts, read 544,369 times
Reputation: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesBoyer View Post
Well said Bill, I wonder if the FSBO would even have allowed that though, as they tend to be a hard headed, do it themselves, know it all group. I guess we as Realtors have to put all the talk of Risk and all that aside as many on the forum don't seem to think that our time is of value.
funny how you have no qualms about generalizing certain people but when your profession is generalized by others, you take issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-28-2009, 11:10 AM
 
Location: Martinsville, NJ
5,847 posts, read 6,319,922 times
Reputation: 3443
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
Bill, we're talking past each other. I'm talking about my specific situation, where I paid 3%, which is the amount you would've gotten being my agent or the buyer's. I'm not talking about FSBO's who pay .25 or .5%. I'm gathering from your posts that you don't believe 3% is enough. Am I wrong? If I'm not, it appears you would not have shown your clients my house. Please correct me if my assumptions are incorrect.
Actually, I probably WOULD have shown your house to my buyers. But I would have made sure, up front and in writing, that you understood that I was representing that buyer, that I was NOT representing you in any way, that anything you told me would be told to the buyer, that you could count on me for honesty, promptness, and nothing else. I'm not giving you price advice, I'm not marketing your house, I'm not doing your legwork, and I'm not looking out for your interests in any way. I'm helping my client buy your house. (Which works just fine for me & my buyer, as I can usually negotiate a better deal for my client with an unrepresented seller, but that's a differnt thread.) I will not do extra work, and take extra liability, for no extra pay.

My point in all of this is that the AGENT AND THEIR CLIENT are the people who decide what the agent gets paid. And if the agent feels he is worth a certain amount, then who are you, or anyone else, to say, "Hey, take less, it's better than nothing."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-28-2009, 11:28 AM
 
527 posts, read 859,861 times
Reputation: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoakman View Post
funny how you have no qualms about generalizing certain people but when your profession is generalized by others, you take issue.
You don't know what is going on behind the out facing side of the forum Oak. I don't generalize about others, Just you and a select few others who also hold them selves out as knowing it all but really...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-28-2009, 11:53 AM
 
498 posts, read 544,369 times
Reputation: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesBoyer View Post
You don't know what is going on behind the out facing side of the forum Oak. I don't generalize about others, Just you and a select few others who also hold them selves out as knowing it all but really...
I never claimed I did know what went on behind scenes. I already conceded that both sides in this discussion are making assumptions. I already gave my reasons for my side. I would have no problem with realtor had she said the same thing at 3%. That's what's expected.

You have made some unfair generalizations about me. I already explained to you that I don't have a problem with any profession. It's certain people in those professions that I have a problem with, and I truly believe this particular realtor is a problem. Hell James, I still give you the benefit of the doubt in believing that you truly do believe you are helping all your clients out who are purchasing homes. I just think you don't realize the pain that is in store for this market.

I don't proclaim to know everything. In fact, I've made a few mistakes in trying to read this market in the short term. Again, I've had plenty of people who have messaged me telling me that they agree and think I'm a good contributor to this board. I've got no skin in this game of real estate. I just like to discuss it and I feel my views are pretty objective.

I have one opinion on this market, and it's going down. I've given a million reasons but the main one that no one can deny is that in NJ, household incomes only rose 20% while prices rose 100%. Either we are truly in a paradox in history where housing was undervalued the previous century or something is out of whack and will correct. Given the price declines and sales declines, I'd say it's correcting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-28-2009, 12:18 PM
 
527 posts, read 859,861 times
Reputation: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoakman View Post
I never claimed I did know what went on behind scenes. I already conceded that both sides in this discussion are making assumptions. I already gave my reasons for my side. I would have no problem with realtor had she said the same thing at 3%. That's what's expected.

You have made some unfair generalizations about me. I already explained to you that I don't have a problem with any profession. It's certain people in those professions that I have a problem with, and I truly believe this particular realtor is a problem. Hell James, I still give you the benefit of the doubt in believing that you truly do believe you are helping all your clients out who are purchasing homes. I just think you don't realize the pain that is in store for this market.

I don't proclaim to know everything. In fact, I've made a few mistakes in trying to read this market in the short term. Again, I've had plenty of people who have messaged me telling me that they agree and think I'm a good contributor to this board. I've got no skin in this game of real estate. I just like to discuss it and I feel my views are pretty objective.

I have one opinion on this market, and it's going down. I've given a million reasons but the main one that no one can deny is that in NJ, household incomes only rose 20% while prices rose 100%. Either we are truly in a paradox in history where housing was undervalued the previous century or something is out of whack and will correct. Given the price declines and sales declines, I'd say it's correcting.
Lets agree that we disagree. Though I do take exception when some outside non participant tries to say what someone should be compensated for a transaction where there is greatly increased risk that things will fall apart, and also greatly increased risk that dealing with this FSBO may chew up all the time said buyer has left, and force said buyer to enter into a lease agreement on a apartment or something, basically causing the Realtor to lose the client and to have spent many many hours on a deal where he/she will be compensated nothing.

That is the part that most seem not to understand, it is very important to hold those deals that can be held together together, to make up for all the other stuff that does not turn into anything.

The proper responce to the FSBO from the start was, never mind the commission, agree to it, it is your net that counts, nothing else. It the Realtor brings you a offer that works for you, isn't that all that matters anyway.

Here is an example, say you are brought a deal that allows you to walk with 100K from the sale of your home, after all expenses are paid. Why should you care if the Realtor is compensated 2% 3% 4% or even 5% as long as you got what you wanted and needed? Please don't come back to me with any comments about the buyer, as this is a hypothetical and only dealing with the thought pattern of a seller.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-28-2009, 12:19 PM
 
Location: NJ
11,504 posts, read 19,877,960 times
Reputation: 4315
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesBoyer View Post
What is your goal here tahiti? It seems to be to trap him into saying something you can pounce on and say, yeah your one of those dirty.

From the experence I have had so far with you, if you were a FSBO and I might want to show your home, I would assume there was more Risk just knowing what I know now.
cut it out James. I'm asking for clarification from Bill, who I happen to respect.

With all due respect, you are not making a good name for yourself with prospective clients in this forum with your personal attacks. You can either take my constructive criticism to heart, or continue to think that people offering opinions without any financial stake are out to get you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top