Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 03:55 PM

183 posts, read 500,581 times

Advertisements

Just curious if you all think this is reasonable. She says she has potential buyer that would be interested, but won't show the condo unless we agree to a 4% commission. We were ready to offer 3%, but may offer her 3.5%

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2009, 03:58 PM

1,552 posts, read 4,632,408 times
I think it's BS and I wouldn't go for it. She can expect no more than 3% if she were showing them any other listing (other than her own listings, of course) so she's just trying to pull one over on you. Tell her to take her usual 3% or take a hike.

By the way, if you make sure to get your house on the MLS, these prospective buyers are probably savvy enough to search the MLS on their own and will force their agent to show the house if they really are interested.

Gee - wonder why agents have a bad reputation ...

Old 01-20-2009, 04:04 PM

9,319 posts, read 16,655,876 times
If she is hungry enough, she'll take the 3%. In this market she's lucky you are even agreeing to give her anything.

Old 01-20-2009, 04:19 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,677,666 times
I did a FSBO and offered 3% - agents were happy to show, and this was in a sellers market. I'd be surprised if she turns it down.

Old 01-20-2009, 04:24 PM

183 posts, read 500,581 times
Hmmm...thanks. We went and told her 3.5% would be the most we'd offer, but now I'm wondering if I should just tell her 3% is fair, on reflection. I'm a little irked to be honest. She's going to fax over some type of agreement, so I still need to peruse that to see if I need a lawyer's eyes on it or not.

I appreciate the opinions, folks.

Old 01-20-2009, 04:34 PM

7,577 posts, read 22,599,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingNJ View Post
Hmmm...thanks. We went and told her 3.5% would be the most we'd offer, but now I'm wondering if I should just tell her 3% is fair, on reflection. I'm a little irked to be honest. She's going to fax over some type of agreement, so I still need to peruse that to see if I need a lawyer's eyes on it or not.

I appreciate the opinions, folks.
Make sure the agreement id for THAT buyer only! Sounds like she's looking for the listing... watch your back!

Old 01-20-2009, 04:52 PM

208 posts, read 852,783 times
Hi there. A realtors opinion for you if I may...2.5%-3% is the standard today. There are agents out there who will not show listings with 2% commission. These agents are obviously not working in their clients best interest, but their own. 3.5 percent is a bonus commission usually for someone who wants a quick sale. If you already told the agent 3.5%, it's up to you if you want to change it. I think 3% is more than fair though and you don't want to get yourself involved in a deal with an agent who's a bully and/or greedy. As for the paper to sign, that is standard. It usually just says that they are bringing a buyer and introducing them to the property and that if at any point, this buyer makes an offer on the home, you acknowledge that the agent was responsible and you'll pay a (fill in the blank) commission. My only tip to you is to make sure the commission is payable when the home closes (not when the contract is written).

Old 01-20-2009, 05:02 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,933,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingNJ View Post
Just curious if you all think this is reasonable. She says she has potential buyer that would be interested, but won't show the condo unless we agree to a 4% commission. We were ready to offer 3%, but may offer her 3.5%

What do you think?
That depends. She's telling you what it will take to get her to bring her clients in to see, and possibly buy, your house. Perhaps she has reason to believe that she will have to do more work, since there isn't a real estate agent managing the other side of the transaction. Or perhaps she knows, and is taking advantage of the fact, that it's a tough market, that many houses are sitting for long periods of time, and that a good buyer is worth something to an eager seller.
Have you had significant traffic through the place? Is it on the verge of being sold to someone else? You can agree to her 4%, and just make sure you account for it during the negotiations to get to a final price. After all, what's more important to you? What the agent gets, or what you put in yrou pocket? If you say no to this agent, and her buyer, are you leaving your pockets empty?

Old 01-20-2009, 05:13 PM

652 posts, read 1,784,687 times
if it is FSBO then you don't use an agent. If you are paying an agent then it isn't FSBO. If it is the buyers agent, then the buyer pays the agent. If I were you I'd wait for another buyer, this agent is scamming ya.

Old 01-20-2009, 05:20 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,855,804 times
I think that HALF of normal is fair. Normal is 5-6%. So 3% would be on the high end. JMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey