Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 07:32 PM

53 posts, read 162,466 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have experience with an elementary school in New Jersey that groups students by ability (reading, math, writing, etc...)?

Looking for a school with a curriculum that will keep a very bright kid busy and that is also good at working with the child on social development. In other words, the kids is bright, but resources to disruptive behavior when bored.

I have heard great things about NJ school and would like to know which counties or which schools do you recommend, even if they do not group by ability, but they individualize learning for the children.

Thanks...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2009, 07:51 PM

765 posts, read 2,629,411 times
I have a child in a similar situation. He is in second grade, is gifted, and can become very disruptive in class. He also has ADHD. I also have a sixteen year old daughter, who is in some special ed classses and some mainstream classes. We used to live in South Brunswick and currently live in the Orlando area in Florida. We are planning to move back to NJ (if I can find a job up there) in the summer. I feel the schools here in Florida are not adequate for my children. They only seem concerned with the FCAT, a standardized test which has become very political here.

Old 01-20-2009, 09:14 PM

208 posts, read 850,390 times
I went to C Richard Applegate in Freehold Twp (must live in East Freehold) and they grouped us by ability. That was fifteen-twenty years ago so I'm not sure if they still do it. Good luck!

Old 01-23-2009, 08:58 PM

249 posts, read 751,430 times
Big buzz words right now in education are DIFFERENTIATED INSTRUCTION. Many schools do not group by ability (feelings might be hurt if you don't end up in the smarty group ) but rather group students heterogeneously and then the teacher is in charge of meeting the needs of all the students.

Old 01-24-2009, 06:22 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,734,745 times
I don't know of any until you reach maybe middle school and you get into honors classes and such. There is no grouping, that is so politically incorrect these days.

When I went, we were definitely grouped and I think it was a lot better that way.

Old 01-24-2009, 09:09 AM

1,369 posts, read 4,628,185 times
hehe...I remember a class in college that dealt with this subject. I don't remember the particulars and there is NO way they could get away with it now but...

Sometime in the 1950's a study was done and the usual 3 split system (Smart. Average, Remedial) was switched around. The children who were supposed to be just average did exremely well in the "Smart" class when told that was where they were and smart in average, etc...

Thus, the theory of grouping students by ability wasn't helpful. It must have taken quite awhile to get that point across because I certainly remember the 3-tier system in place when I was in school in the 70's/80's.

Shanny

Old 01-24-2009, 09:17 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,594,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shannybannany View Post
hehe...I remember a class in college that dealt with this subject. I don't remember the particulars and there is NO way they could get away with it now but...

Sometime in the 1950's a study was done and the usual 3 split system (Smart. Average, Remedial) was switched around. The children who were supposed to be just average did exremely well in the "Smart" class when told that was where they were and smart in average, etc...

Thus, the theory of grouping students by ability wasn't helpful. It must have taken quite awhile to get that point across because I certainly remember the 3-tier system in place when I was in school in the 70's/80's.

Shanny
we definitely were not grouped by ability in the 70's - there were only 2 grades per class so it would've been difficult anyway.

it's also not done at my kids school but advanced and remedial kids are pulled out as necessary.

as far as the bolded, I DEFINITELY believe this - mind over matter.

Old 01-24-2009, 09:27 AM

213 posts, read 782,346 times
no child left behind=teach to the lowest common denominator.

Old 01-24-2009, 09:56 AM

2,791 posts, read 10,778,209 times
Most schools are concerned with their state's standardized testing. You might check into Montclair. Parents and students research the schools (elementary) and decide which one suits their needs based upon the curriculum. The school my kids attended had enrichment classes for gifted kids.

Old 01-24-2009, 08:50 PM

249 posts, read 751,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shannybannany View Post

Shanny
They told the teachers that the low kids were actually the higher level and I guess the teachers expected more and treated the kids as such. I don't buy that though. I teach 2 classes. One is a lot higher than the other. If someone had told me on the first day of school that the lower class was the higher and vice versa, I would have wondered what they were smokin'. It doesn't take a teacher long to see what level kids are at.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey