Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 10:31 PM

11 posts, read 39,688 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

I just accepted a job offer in Paulus Hook, Jersey City and I’m researching for a place to live near there. I would really appreciate if you guys could advise me of any good neighborhoods that I could move into. I’ve done a little research and some neighborhoods in downtown Jersey City seem to be the IT place to move to, but the problem is that it might be too expensive for me; annual gross income would be around $60k. Other less expensive areas seem to be more dangerous . I’m not sure what to do; I don’t know anything about New Jersey.

I’m looking for:
1. One bedroom apt. Price < $1,500. I can go up to $1,650 for a place that I absolute love.
2. Residence close to good public transportation. I will not have a car and would like to visit NYC w/out much hassle.
3. Residence should close to groceries and/or drug stores.
4. Commuting time should be less than 45 mins.
5. And most important SAFE.

About me: I am a 22 yr old girl from Puerto Rico and have lived in a suburb my whole life. I have spent summers in the NYC, both Midtown and in Brooklyn Heights. Something like that would be perfect. This is my first time living alone

Any advice that you guys can provide me would be greatly appreciated. REALLY, I mean it!

Thanks in advance guys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2009, 12:14 AM

5 posts, read 11,863 times
Pick your poison dude!
Manhattan or Jersey City?

Either way....your gonna pay!

Old 01-21-2009, 08:09 AM

2,705 posts, read 8,268,246 times
Anywhere in Downtown Jersey City would be perfect for you. The Downtown area is about a square mile, with many different neighborhoods (all of them are nice, and pretty safe), and all Downtown neighborhoods would give you ability to walk to Paulus Hook (which in and of itself is in the Downtown section), on a nice day. Go on Craigslist, NYC, Jersey, then look at anything that says Downtown Jersey City, Grove Street, Paulus Hook, Hamilton Park. $1,500 - $1,650 is no prob, you should be able to find something small for that price.

Old 01-22-2009, 06:13 PM

42 posts, read 89,070 times
Is Jersey City becoming just as expensive as Manhattan?

Old 01-22-2009, 09:25 PM

11 posts, read 39,688 times
Thank you very much for your reply Tommy. U lifted a burden from my life. U have no idea how worry I was about finding a place because I heard it was really expensive to live there.

Old 01-23-2009, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelani.laraya View Post
Is Jersey City becoming just as expensive as Manhattan?
Well, the luxury hi-rise type places on the waterfront in Jersey City and Hoboken are almost as high as Manhattan rents. But the poster should be able to find a decent one bedroom in a walkup (brownstone-type building) for 1500-1600.

Old 01-23-2009, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desibuff View Post
Thank you very much for your reply Tommy. U lifted a burden from my life. U have no idea how worry I was about finding a place because I heard it was really expensive to live there.
I love lifting burdens from peoples' lives!!!

Old 01-23-2009, 10:23 AM

42 posts, read 89,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
Well, the luxury hi-rise type places on the waterfront in Jersey City and Hoboken are almost as high as Manhattan rents. But the poster should be able to find a decent one bedroom in a walkup (brownstone-type building) for 1500-1600.
Would you be able to find 1 bedrooms for less that that? Would they be tiny? I wonder what prices are like to buy in Jersey City and Hoboken.

Old 01-23-2009, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelani.laraya View Post
Would you be able to find 1 bedrooms for less that that? Would they be tiny? I wonder what prices are like to buy in Jersey City and Hoboken.
To buy, a one bedroom in a walkup in Downtown JC or Hoboken will be anywhere from 250k - 400k, depending on the particular neighborhood, and the square footage.

To rent, you can probably find a really tiny one bedroom, in a crappy location, for 1300 in both Hoboken and Downtown JC. But the location will be inconvenient, aka 15-20 minute walk to Path.

Old 01-23-2009, 01:00 PM

111 posts, read 319,215 times
I would suggest you move to the Heights if your looking for lower priced rent, I dont see how 1500-1600 is a good deal. Why spend that much when you could find a one bedroom the same size or bigger for 800-1200. It would be a easy commute to work since you can choose from the Light Rail or one of a few different buses. Also the Heights is more diverse then downtown is and since you are from Puerto Rico I am sure you would appreciate the Puerto Rican owned stores and places to eat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey