Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2013, 05:41 PM

2 posts, read 2,519 times

Advertisements

Hello...I now live and work in Rockland County. I wanted to move to Northern New Jersey b/c I thought the rent would be cheaper. I'm looking for a two bedroom in a safe neighborhood in Northern Jersey that isn't more than 30 minutes away from Rockland County. In an ideal world I would be able to find a place for $1000 but I doubt I would find it so I'm will to go to $1,300. I just want a place that would be safe for me and my son. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2013, 05:52 PM

2 posts, read 2,519 times
I just read the sticky and realized I didn't answer some questions

Where are you coming from? Rockland County
Why are you moving? Looking for cheaper rent
Where will you be working ? If NYC, what part of NYC? Rockland County

Will you buy or rent? Rent
What is your budget ? Up to $1,300
What kind of place are you looking for ? 2 bedroom apt

Will anyone (spouse, children, pets) be moving with you ? My son and eventually my girlfriend(we're a lesbian couple)
Do you need/want good public schools? No, my son is only 2

Briefly describe the kind of neighborhood you'd like to live in
(examples: families with young children, young, mature, artsy, diverse, safe, close-knit, block parties, etc) I'm not looking for a specific type

List three things that are important to you in order of importance.(examples: nightlife, outdoor activities, rural/urban, safety, downtown area, charming, new construction, proximity to XYZ, family oriented, easy parking, short commute, etc) Safety is my number 1 priority. After that a less than 30 minute commute. That would be all

Old 04-09-2013, 06:01 PM

9,434 posts, read 4,250,820 times
Where do you work in Rockland, Generally, I think Rockland is cheaper than Bergen.

Old 04-09-2013, 06:13 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,882,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromRocklandtoNorthNJ View Post
Hello...I now live and work in Rockland County. I wanted to move to Northern New Jersey b/c I thought the rent would be cheaper. I'm looking for a two bedroom in a safe neighborhood in Northern Jersey that isn't more than 30 minutes away from Rockland County. In an ideal world I would be able to find a place for $1000 but I doubt I would find it so I'm will to go to $1,300. I just want a place that would be safe for me and my son. Does anyone have any suggestions?
If you want cheaper rent you need to go north and west (i.e. into Orange county), not south. It will get more expensive across the NJ border, not less. Distance to NYC and tax arbitrage for people working in NJ and all that jazz.

Old 04-10-2013, 07:15 AM

88,559 posts, read 84,738,350 times
Yes, this seems like an odd question. Rockland is cheaper than most places in NJ within a 30-minute drive. Usually people looking to save money move OUT of Bergen County and up to Rockland.

Two bedrooms for $1300 is tough. Not impossible, but not easy to find.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: