Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2009, 08:37 PM

1,369 posts, read 4,627,952 times

Advertisements

Recession, what recession?????? I have been re-habbing my home for the last 9 months and contractors NEVER get the work done, say they will come to the job, not show...always have an excuse, etc....

I am a VERY fair person and I always pay what we agree on. I am not hard to please....I PROLLY OVERPAY!

I am so TIRED!!!!

So...WHAT'S THE DEAL????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2009, 09:10 PM

1,507 posts, read 5,896,502 times
Default love it !

oh Shanny ! I love your 'tude! You are such a jersey girl.

Here's the deal.
Some...are full of themselves. Take the big jobs and shove other off.
Some....are crooks. Lip service galore!
Some...are lazy.
Some ... are drunks or drug users.
Some.... are real contractors that are too busy to handle their own business.

This is from my own experience. I feel for your buddy. It sucks.
Been there. rehabbed that & sold it. Don't want to do it again.
Good luck friend

Old 01-24-2009, 10:38 PM

393 posts, read 1,083,609 times
Hi Shanny:

Here's what I've learned oty's (over the year's)
1. IMO, go with the reputable, traceable, contractor
2. Never pay all fees up front!
3.Try, to be home when work is being done, some may take many short-cuts!!
4. Attempt to buy necessary supplies B4 hand, or w/ contractor, some may try to pad supply bill.

My worst nitemare, and electrician(?) that drilled fifteen holes in closet floors/near chimney trying to route a bathroom GFI wire.
**This repair cost me more money in (in floor replacement)than orig install.

Hoping your rehab is productive!

Sligo

Old 01-24-2009, 10:40 PM

2,510 posts, read 3,958,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shannybannany View Post
Recession, what recession?????? I have been re-habbing my home for the last 9 months and contractors NEVER get the work done, say they will come to the job, not show...always have an excuse, etc....

I am a VERY fair person and I always pay what we agree on. I am not hard to please....I PROLLY OVERPAY!

I am so TIRED!!!!

So...WHAT'S THE DEAL????

Whats missing is professionalism. What your experiencing is why there are so many businesses going out of business. I've operated my own small business for the last 20+ years and all you have to do to have a satisfied client is to show up when you say your going to..... and do what you say your gonna do......if you do that people are ecstatic ! If I say I'm going to be there at 9am...... I'm there at 9....or even a little early......it doesn't take much to please people that are starved for competent service today....if I'm caught in traffic and going to be a few minutes late.....I call and say so. Its sad......but thats the way it is.

Old 01-25-2009, 05:25 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,734,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan View Post
Whats missing is professionalism. What your experiencing is why there are so many businesses going out of business. I've operated my own small business for the last 20+ years and all you have to do to have a satisfied client is to show up when you say your going to..... and do what you say your gonna do......if you do that people are ecstatic ! If I say I'm going to be there at 9am...... I'm there at 9....or even a little early......it doesn't take much to please people that are starved for competent service today....if I'm caught in traffic and going to be a few minutes late.....I call and say so. Its sad......but thats the way it is.

You are so right. I hate waiting around for the contractors. I had a job once they told me would take three days, it ended up being a month!! They never showed, etc. It stunk because I had to give them a key to my house. For a three day job!!! I took the key back and made them come when I was home. I didn't get them to come any faster, but gave me peace of mind.

The other poster is right, don't pay so much up front. I'm not giving half the money until half is done. Give them a smaller portion up front. Never pay in full at the beginning. You would think that would make them get it done as you've done the right thing and already paid for it, but it's the opposite.

Old 01-25-2009, 06:48 AM

7,577 posts, read 22,551,171 times
Quote:

I am so TIRED!!!!

So...WHAT'S THE DEAL????
Oh shanny! Typically, when they do this it's one of 2 things.. either they underbid the job or they bit of more than they could chew! For the record, I'm not one of those contractors. I built my business on "word of mouth" - never spent one dime on advertising. A referral from one neighbor to another is the biggest compliment a contractor can receive! Are these contractors you hired lic. and insured? What type of work is it that you hired them to do? Give me their names and numbers... I'll get em for ya

Old 01-25-2009, 07:09 AM

1,983 posts, read 7,496,823 times
Quote:

I am so TIRED!!!!

So...WHAT'S THE DEAL????
Contractors take several jobs at once and have to over-promise on timeframe. I worked with a very good contractor and he was a no show on many days and it took him 2X longer than estimated but in the end I got a fantastic job at a reasonable price. If they sub out the work then it takes even longer and generally the price is higher. I know it's frustrating, I've been there. Hopefully you didn't give him all the money up front.

If it's an addition, contractors should get paid roughly 4 installments per % completion of the job, spelled out in the contract, and no final payment until all township approvals including CO.

If it's a smaller renovation you are somewhat at their mercy.

Last edited by MoorestownResident; 01-25-2009 at 07:19 AM..

Old 01-25-2009, 10:19 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,529,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan View Post
Exactly!!!!!!!!!!

If something goes wrong then call the customer. Bad news is better then no news. Just call and let the customer know you will be late or your not coming today or...........

Is that so hard? Call me a conractor for the past 27 years and I have seen it all too. I cant even sit here and defend those who do what I do. Most of them do suck.

Blame some of this on NJs lack of licensing. Anyone unemployed with a pick up truck and a tool box can call themselves a contractor. I understand in very recent years NJ has put in place a skeleton licensing act but it is useless.

Ask our friend Wiley here what she seen at noon where she used to work at the old Ledgewood circle when all the contractors would come in for their 3 hour lunch break and get drunk and blowing all their money on the girls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey