U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2009, 08:44 PM

9 posts, read 25,439 times

Advertisements

Okay, here's the deal. I'm a professional woman in my late 20's who is currently working in New Brunswick. I recently moved from Bergen County (commute from H-E-.... whoops, I'll watch my tongue) to Plainsboro. While the commute is definitely better than it was, part of me is thinking it can still get better. As it stands, I'm out of the house for 11 hours a day (shortly after 7am to just around 6pm), and with traffic I'm only gaining about 15 minutes on my commute each way from what it was before the move. I only signed a 5 month lease here, allowing myself time to find something better. But before I run out of time and have to decide whether I'm staying for another year, I need to make sure this is the best I can do.

My options should be wide open, right? Young, single, decent paying job... well the hitch is (did you notice the screenname?) I have a 60 lb. dog. Plainsboro is a fantastic place to own a dog!! Thanks to the suggestions from members of this forum, we know of a wide variety of parks, trails, and training facilities around here. I found a great vet that I trust. And I worry that the move will cost us these great recreational options (which will be MUCH more important as the weather warms up... we're only hitting the closest dog park right now, and the training facility I decided on is not a short drive as it is, and actually doesn't get much worse time-wise if I'm further north and use the Turnpike).

Sorry to drone on here, I told you this was a dilemma. Anyway, here's my wish-list: 1 bedroom apartment (managed, not in someone's home) in a safe area where I don't have to worry about walking my dog alone at night. (He's a golden retriever, doesn't instill much fear in would-be bad guys) I would love to have a 15-20 minute drive to work (including traffic... I drive in and out at bad times, no way around that). Parks (especially off-leash dog runs) are a huge plus. I've seen dog-friendly apartments in South River, Highland Park, and North Brunswick so far. Any information on these areas would be a great start... other suggestions of where to look would be fantastic... and if you happen to know of a particular dog-friendly apartment I'll reach through the screen and hug you!! Thanks for any help you can offer!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2009, 05:14 AM

5,087 posts, read 7,260,393 times
I think there's an off leash dog area in Colonial Park, which is in Somerset. You might try there. That park is about 5-10 minutes from exits 10 and 12 on 287. And you would be looking at about a 20 minute commute.

Word of warning, be careful of what apartments you are looking at. Some areas, I wouldn't walk my dog alone at night, but you have a big dog and dogs are a deterrent. Just never ever say, if a stranger asks when you're alone, "oh, he's friendly". Always say, "Please don't, I wouldn't trust it if I were you".

Old 01-25-2009, 10:56 AM

1 posts, read 2,763 times
I too went to RU and lived in the area w/ a dog. Managed and Dog friendly... kind of an oxymoron. One option to consider is condos and townhouses that are privately owned, but rented out by their owner. Like Fox Meadows in East Brunswick or something similar. New Brunswick is tough because you don't want to go too far away or else you risk a crazy commute. Plainsboro probably has the most condo\townhouse\apt options. South Brunswick has Royal Oaks which is nice.. Not sure about pets though. Highland Park is a great area with some High-Rise Condo's but I am not sure about the pet rules. Donaldson Park is just footsteps away from them. Send me a mail you have anymore questions: maximilianmoser@gmail.com

Old 01-25-2009, 04:38 PM

These are the apartments I've found in the area so far that allow dogs:

Highland Gardens - Highland Park
North Brunswick Manor - North Brunswick
Leonardine Gardens - South River

I'm still very trying to compile a list of options, so I haven't visited any of these locations yet. Hoping to start that next weekend. Thought maybe someone would have some input on them... good or bad, let me know! Thanks again for your suggestions so far!

Old 01-25-2009, 04:46 PM

315 posts, read 951,758 times
i agree with maxndahse, i would look in somerset for a condo or townhouse that is being rented out. there are plenty these days due to people not being able to sell. you have colonial park and you're close to highways so the shore and new york are an easy ride.

i hope you find something great. try looking at the msl for rentals. i can see if i can find anything if you like. dm me if you want me to.

Old 01-25-2009, 05:11 PM

Quick search brought up a few more places:

Village Green - South River
Cranbury Crossing - East Brunswick
Tanglewood Terrace - Piscataway

They're all Morgan Properties... 2 of the 3 on my first list were too. They run the place I'm living in now, all say "Pet Friendly" and I'm hoping their regs are similar to their apartments in Plainsboro (breed restrictions only, no size limit). I'm going to see what I can find as far as condos/townhouses for rent... but in the meantime if anyone can share any info on these properties or just about the towns they're in I'd be greatly appreciative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or