Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 10:10 AM

1,552 posts, read 4,633,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishu View Post
Well, i just thought of moving. Presently i m in newport/pavonia, but this place seems to be very costly. So looking for the some other place which is near to the train station and little bit cheaper. I work in manhatten and dont want to commute moe than half an hour. Please suggest me some other place that helps me. But anyway, now i have dropped the idea of moving to Newark..
Even from Newark you're going to have a 30 minute commute just to get to Manhattan, not even counting how long it will take for you to get to your job. It's probably going to be closer to 50 minutes door-to-door. So if you're serious about the "30 minute commute" thing, don't even consider Newark.

I agree - you should look for apartments around the Journal Square and Grove Street PATH stations in Jersey City.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2009, 10:20 AM

730 posts, read 2,888,232 times
If you are already in JC area, why not just look for apartments in the Journal Square area? Much safer than Newark but cheaper than Newport/Pavonia while still very close to the path train.

Old 01-28-2009, 06:29 PM

6 posts, read 17,575 times
Thank you very much for suggestions...

Old 01-29-2009, 10:28 PM

38 posts, read 183,779 times
Stay Outta That War Zone

Old 01-30-2009, 01:31 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,961,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazonas View Post
Very dangerous and I would not move there in a millions years.
Never say never. People looked at Jersey City the same way 20, even 15 years ago.

Old 01-30-2009, 01:46 PM

1,577 posts, read 5,687,834 times
I think the east side of Newark isn't that bad at all. Once you starting heading west of Bergen streetit starts to get iffy. I grew up in the Ironbound/downtown section which was a nice area. Schools on the other hand are terrible unless you go to a private or go to the public Arts School which is a nice high school i went to.

ANYWAY, to get back on point, nice sections of Newark are not just in Ionbound or the downtown area like people think. North Newark towards Belleville is also nice, even parts of the north east section near EO is decent.

Just remember.. WEST SIDE NEWARK, is where most of the crime is at.

Old 09-23-2012, 09:12 AM

271 posts, read 417,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusitan View Post
Even from Newark you're going to have a 30 minute commute just to get to Manhattan, not even counting how long it will take for you to get to your job. It's probably going to be closer to 50 minutes door-to-door. So if you're serious about the "30 minute commute" thing, don't even consider Newark.

I agree - you should look for apartments around the Journal Square and Grove Street PATH stations in Jersey City.
its like 7 mins from broad street station ... so you can possible have a 15 min commute if you live in the pavilion... but i do agree newark isnt better than jc in commuting to nyc ... newark is good for commuting almost anywhere else including downtown newark/jc and it isnt bad for commuting to nyc but jc is better than any boro when it comes to getting to the city

Old 09-23-2012, 09:31 AM

271 posts, read 417,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newarkbomb View Post
I think the east side of Newark isn't that bad at all. Once you starting heading west of Bergen streetit starts to get iffy. I grew up in the Ironbound/downtown section which was a nice area. Schools on the other hand are terrible unless you go to a private or go to the public Arts School which is a nice high school i went to.

ANYWAY, to get back on point, nice sections of Newark are not just in Ionbound or the downtown area like people think. North Newark towards Belleville is also nice, even parts of the north east section near EO is decent.

Just remember.. WEST SIDE NEWARK, is where most of the crime is at.

TTTTHHHHHHHAAAAANNNNNKKKKK YOOOOOUUUUUU!!!

even some parts west of bergen street can be ok but honestly most people dont tell the full story when they have a crime happen in newark... no one gets shot at the pru or the airport or on ferry st or at the arena.. so it begs me to ask ... just what were you doing in newark in the first place .. the stuff for out of towners are downtown and theres a street sign on ever block to direct you to a point of interest so they couldnt have gotten lost... check out that persons drug habit for more info

Old 09-23-2012, 02:40 PM

456 posts, read 833,418 times
better to move to Secaucus, Jersey City or Bayonne.

Old 09-23-2012, 07:16 PM

2,881 posts, read 6,089,392 times
Lots of ancient Newark thread bumping going on lately. Good to be mindful of the year the thread was active before bumping it (to save yourself the trouble).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey