Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 04:12 PM

50 posts, read 174,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
That does not sound correct.. The homeowner is responsible for clearing and maintaining the sidewalks.
If you don't and it becomes a safety hazard and someone trips and gets hurt, who gets sued? the township? Absolutely not. YOU do.
And every township I have ever had dealings with requires the sidewalks to be cleared in 24 hours too.

At least in every township I have ever dealt with..
Correct. .gov has right of way use but up to individual land owners to maintain a safe walkway free from snow within 24 hours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2009, 06:23 AM

7,577 posts, read 22,599,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
That does not sound correct.. The homeowner is responsible for clearing and maintaining the sidewalks.
If you don't and it becomes a safety hazard and someone trips and gets hurt, who gets sued? the township? Absolutely not. YOU do.
And every township I have ever had dealings with requires the sidewalks to be cleared in 24 hours too.

At least in every township I have ever dealt with..
Just because it's an ordinance doesn't make it "law". Twps can make up their own rules but in a court of law... I think the twp. would be the one's at fault here. It's their property! Just my opinion...

Old 01-28-2009, 06:38 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times
What I'm reading is you did shovel but they were not happy with the job you did and are giving fines..

Sounds to me like the town needs money and is throwing these fines out to get that money.
Nice.

No sidewalks in the old town, it was the road by the mailbox that had to be kept clean. If the mail lady couldn't pull up easily she did not have to deliver the mail. Ours was always spotless (loved my mail lady)

New town, yes we do have a sidewalk so I very well could be in your shoes. We will do the best we can, I'm disabled hubby is recovering from shoulder surgery. Let them fine us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by candco View Post
Wondering if anyone is having the same kind of ridiculous experience in their town or if it is just here in crazyville!
We received a summons in our mailbox for not having our sidewalks cleaned off within 24 hours with a courtdate (mind you that my sidewalk was shoveled just not spotlessly, sparkling clean) apparently many residents received the same summons and courtdate with the same situation and everyone is flipping out. The mun. office is claiming that the mayor wants everyone who has a sidewalk that has a drop of snow on it to be fined!! and the cost is $25 first offense, $50 for the second, and $100 for the third with courtdates during the middle of the day since we all can afford to take off of work for something so ridiculous! So basically even if you get your frozen self out there within 24 hours you better do more than plow and shovel, you better make sure they are spotless--come on, is this normal in other towns???
And since everyone is calling and flipping out, they do not want to hear any kind of explanation or anything. I think it's sad that a town like this with it's very high taxes and ok services and community (regional high school is so bad less than 10% of residents send kids there) has to suck even more money from its residents especially during an economic climate like this---it really makes us feel like they are taking advantage.

Old 01-28-2009, 06:53 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,759,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
What I'm reading is you did shovel but they were not happy with the job you did and are giving fines..

Sounds to me like the town needs money and is throwing these fines out to get that money.
Nice.

No sidewalks in the old town, it was the road by the mailbox that had to be kept clean. If the mail lady couldn't pull up easily she did not have to deliver the mail. Ours was always spotless (loved my mail lady)

New town, yes we do have a sidewalk so I very well could be in your shoes. We will do the best we can, I'm disabled hubby is recovering from shoulder surgery. Let them fine us.

You hit the nail on the head!!

Ours was great too - Started snowing at midnight one year and you can't park on the streets here if there is snow on the road. One officer wrote tickets to every car he saw on the street and ran out - had to break into another officer's locker to get another ticket book....
Thankfully, we weren't one of them, but that's just ridiculous.

Old 01-28-2009, 07:01 AM

315 posts, read 1,091,452 times
wow, i can't believe they are giving you a fine even after shoveling. my advice, take pictures with a time and date stamp. then you have something to fight them with. it is too bad that they are putting an additional burden on people already stretched to the limit. luckily i have no sidewalk.

Old 01-28-2009, 07:59 AM

831 posts, read 2,436,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
Just because it's an ordinance doesn't make it "law".
An ordinance is the law for that town. Thats why they have them and a cop can give you a ticket because of ordinance violation. Do I think they are all fair no but thats the way it works.

Old 01-28-2009, 10:14 AM

2,510 posts, read 3,974,811 times
Quote:
Wondering if anyone is having the same kind of ridiculous experience in their town or if it is just here in crazyville!
We received a summons in our mailbox for not having our sidewalks cleaned off within 24 hours with a courtdate (mind you that my sidewalk was shoveled just not spotlessly, sparkling clean) apparently many residents received the same summons and courtdate with the same situation and everyone is flipping out. The mun. office is claiming that the mayor wants everyone who has a sidewalk that has a drop of snow on it to be fined!! and the cost is $25 first offense, $50 for the second, and $100 for the third with courtdates during the middle of the day since we all can afford to take off of work for something so ridiculous! So basically even if you get your frozen self out there within 24 hours you better do more than plow and shovel, you better make sure they are spotless--come on, is this normal in other towns???
And since everyone is calling and flipping out, they do not want to hear any kind of explanation or anything. I think it's sad that a town like this with it's very high taxes and ok services and community (regional high school is so bad less than 10% of residents send kids there) has to suck even more money from its residents especially during an economic climate like this---it really makes us feel like they are taking advantage.

If I am understanding this correctly you are arguing for the right NOT to have to clean your walks off within 24 hours ? You want the right to create an unsafe situation for children trying to make their way to school or their bus stops over snow and ice covered walks ? If your a store owner you don't want to have to clean your walks to prevent people from slipping and falling on snow and ice ? You think a law to prevent this is unreasonable ?

Old 01-28-2009, 10:42 AM

3 posts, read 5,263 times
If you read my post, you will see that my sidewalk was shoveled but apparently not perfectly spotless according to the town---i would understand if my sidewalks were untouched and i received the fine--understandable--but to spend time on it and receive the summons is ridiculous and just a way for the town to suck more money out of the residents.
Also worth noting, i am no where near schools or anything for that matter, this is not a very walkable town as we mostly drive outside of town for errands, shopping, etc.
As i mentioned before, the town's timing in fining so many residents during this economic climate (we haven't see this winters before) is terrible. I have to put all my energy into work hoping that I am not part of lay-offs and they want to add expense and hassle during this time!!

Old 01-28-2009, 10:47 AM

2,510 posts, read 3,974,811 times
Quote:
If you read my post, you will see that my sidewalk was shoveled but apparently not perfectly spotless according to the town---i would understand if my sidewalks were untouched and i received the fine--understandable--but to spend time on it and receive the summons is ridiculous and just a way for the town to suck more money out of the residents.
Also worth noting, i am no where near schools or anything for that matter, this is not a very walkable town as we mostly drive outside of town for errands, shopping, etc.
As i mentioned before, the town's timing in fining so many residents during this economic climate (we haven't see this winters before) is terrible. I have to put all my energy into work hoping that I am not part of lay-offs and they want to add expense and hassle during this time!!
I'm sorry.......I guess I misunderstood what I read......if you shoveled and your effort was not up to their desires then what the town is expecting is unreasonable.....especially if it involved many......the standard of expecting NO snow whatsoever is unreasonable.......the town must plow the streets.....do they leave any behind or do they get every last flake ?

Old 01-28-2009, 04:02 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,855,804 times
for me i feel like you need to make an effort. we had some people who just didnt shovel for like 3 weeks, and i could see them sitting inside their house. lazy!!! we shovel the walk, and enough for the UPS guy and mail man. The mail man walks across the lawn anyway...

it is usually not perfect, but better than nothing.

i would take pictures of your clean sidewalks and bring them to court.

i think this is completely unreasonable... unless you clearly did not shovel at all, for 3 weeks, like my lazy neighbors. then the snow turned into ice, with peoples 6" deep footprints frozen that becomes dangerous.

for everyones good, i would shovel to cover your butt if nothing else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: