Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 07:17 PM

5 posts, read 26,082 times

Advertisements

Hi, I need any info I can get on Wanaque. We are looking to buy a house there and wanted to know what it is like. How are the schools? Are the roads safe? Is it comparable to oakland or to Totowa/Little Falls?
Anything would be helpful thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2009, 08:50 AM

138 posts, read 610,375 times
Hi, I grew up in Ringwood, which is the town over from Wanaque. What do you mean when you ask if the roads are safe? The high school, Lakeland, is shared between Ringwood & Wanaque. I personally got a great education there. My father works at Lakeland and also rates it highly. I would say of the 3 towns you mentioned, it would be most comparable to Totowa.

Old 01-28-2009, 09:13 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,515,246 times
Its not comparable at all to Little Falls or Totowa. Its much more comparable to Oakland. Wanaque is a quiet, sort ruralish, woody and slightly hilly town. Its gotton more popular due to the opening up of 287. Ringwood being much more upscale compared to Wanaque but over a nice quiet little town. If you like wood and nature and outdoors its perfect. Houses are small capes, definately a middle class town, no snob factor and really not as hillbillie as West Milford. I think its a nice mix . Not alot of action and shopping but you are very close to shoot to Wayne, or Paramus on 287 to Route 17. So its a good choice for a middle class family. Now if you have alot of money this is not the town, but for a middle class family its perfect! Safe, little crime, quiet, good kids, sports minded and outsdoorsy!! Read the follow up post at the bottom I was wrong.

Last edited by stevemorse; 01-28-2009 at 10:11 AM..

Old 01-28-2009, 09:20 AM

138 posts, read 610,375 times
To clarify, I said Totowa only because Wanaque is not as upscale as Oakland. But stevemorse is correct, there is certainly not as much to do there (shopping, etc.) as in Totowa.

Old 01-28-2009, 10:10 AM

you know the more I look at Wanaque and the more houses I just looked at , lets face it , its a wasteland. I mean ugly houses, ripped out alot of the trees, its just plain ugly. I forgot how ugly it was until I looked. Its like a wasteland of Hillbillies. I really think its a nothing to do area with a nothing to do town, which leads me to instantly think booze!! Its like Orange County, NY. Too much booze and Springer. Go with RIngwood or Oakland anyday. There are not even nice woods in Wanaque like Ringwood and West Milford. Its terrible, pass on it.

Old 01-28-2009, 10:44 AM

1,548 posts, read 4,314,110 times
Default Different eyes: Wanaque is quite good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
you know the more I look at Wanaque and the more houses I just looked at , lets face it , its a wasteland. I mean ugly houses, ripped out alot of the trees, its just plain ugly. I forgot how ugly it was until I looked. Its like a wasteland of Hillbillies. I really think its a nothing to do area with a nothing to do town, which leads me to instantly think booze!! Its like Orange County, NY. Too much booze and Springer. Go with RIngwood or Oakland anyday. There are not even nice woods in Wanaque like Ringwood and West Milford. Its terrible, pass on it.
Wow, Steve! Why don't you tell us how you really feel? Respectfully, I'd disagree with you about 85%.

Wanaque has its shortcomings, but in many ways its a fantastic place. In my opinion, it's one of the few truly middle class towns left in Northeastern New Jersey. Much of the town is gentrified and modern establishments have popped up all along Ringwood Avenue.

Wanaque is Ringwood Avenue, a/k/a County Route 511. For all intents and purposes, it's the only way in, out, or thru town. Hence, rush hour traffic is severe.

The primary schools have improved greatly and Lakeland High is surely one of the most underrated schools in the area.

If you dislike pretense, you'll like Wanaque. People are real there. It's the flip side to coin of many of our states snooty towns.

However, being in Passaic County, real estate taxes are quite high there.

I'd give Wanaque a green light.

Old 01-28-2009, 10:46 AM

Wow Steve, so you totally went back on your first thoughts. Why the change of heart?

Old 01-28-2009, 10:54 AM

well I went and looked at some pictures on the computer and then it hit me, I remember last summer driving around and then the memories came back to me. I remember all the pick up trucks and lots with junk thrown all over the lawns, the lack of pride people had in their yards, just the land was ugly. If there was a 1950's Astin Martin and a Monster Truck parked in the downtown most would be looking at the Monster Truck. Thats how I can describe it. Lack of choices in the area, and just plain twilight zone of an area. I mean it just never defined itself. Drive around, and really look hard, you will get it. You know I am just saying look hard, I wish I would have looked a little harder where I picked to live. I see the hillbillie attitute where I live, its getting less and less but its here. So I dont want someone else to think its not in NJ. Wanaque has its share of Pick-Ups, Nascar losers and hillbillies. Just dont go into it blindly. I did and dont hate where I live just living amonst some hillbillies. Not as bad as lets say some other towns, but Jefferson Twshp honestly does have some backwood types. So just OPEN your eyes, pick towns that you can afford and compare them.

You know its funny if I go one town over, (one Ridge) to Rockway, by Marcella and Green Pond, I dont see any of the backwoods types. So a few miles makes a big difference. Just compare several choices. Wanaque can be sort backwoods some areas. There are some hicks. Just trying to warn you. Look now is a good time to get the best for your money so just keep eyes open.

Last edited by stevemorse; 01-28-2009 at 11:05 AM..

Old 01-28-2009, 10:56 AM

4,285 posts, read 10,763,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post

Old 01-28-2009, 11:01 AM

Thanks for your thoughts. Would you say Ringwood is a better place to live, as its not to "hillbillie". Is there more things to do there? Is there less traffic there because there are more roads?

You are right I do need to drive around the towns and see it for myself. I'd like to go during the day at first to see, but I just don't have the time right now, so I appreciate all of your input.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey