U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 03:01 PM

1,576 posts, read 5,027,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Observation. You seem to not have kids. If true:

Take this once in a lifetime opportunity to live in NYC. Live "the life" for a couple years before taking your place in suburbia when the kids come along.
Good point

But Hoboken = Suburbia ?
Young professionals are all around Hoboken. Its NJ Upper West Side (well to be technical, Upper East Side)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2009, 04:08 PM

2,705 posts, read 7,107,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chance07 View Post
Too bad there isn't a direct train across the Hudson from Hoboken. From looking at a map one could be in Midtown in 10 minutes if that was the case.
There is a direct train. Path train.

Old 01-30-2009, 05:13 PM

162 posts, read 473,078 times
Frat boys in Hoboken... BINGO. Weekends it's loud with drunk frat boys, everywhere especially during warm weather. Believe me when I tell you born and raised in UWS and living in Hoboken for 3 years, you cannot compare the 2.

Old 01-30-2009, 05:13 PM

19 posts, read 70,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
There is a direct train. Path train.
I thought the Path train went down and up through the financial district. It doesn't go straight to Midtown does it? Nor does it go all the way up to the 53rd area does it?

Old 01-30-2009, 06:50 PM

2,312 posts, read 6,525,833 times
The path train goes to the village (Christopher St.) and then up to 33rd St. on the west side.

A different Path line goes downtown/Jersey City.

There are a couple of busses that go to the Port Authority, 42nd and 8th.

The commute to 53rd and 3rd would probably take you about an hour from Hoboken. It will take you about 1/2 hour from the UWS. Give or take 10 minutes for both.

Why not look on the east side in Manhattan--you'll get to work much more quickly.

Old 01-30-2009, 07:14 PM

19 posts, read 70,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevedark View Post
The path train goes to the village (Christopher St.) and then up to 33rd St. on the west side.

The commute to 53rd and 3rd would probably take you about an hour from Hoboken. It will take you about 1/2 hour from the UWS. Give or take 10 minutes for both.

Why not look on the east side in Manhattan--you'll get to work much more quickly.
Oh, sorry I might have mistyped where I was working. I am at 53rd and 5th or 666 Fifth Avenue is the actual address. Am I still much closer to work if I am on the east side. I've been told that public transport is much better on the west.

Old 01-31-2009, 05:34 PM

633 posts, read 1,096,416 times
HOBOKEN:
pros: a ton of self managed, cozy & neighborhood restaurants; mainly on Washington St.
Very active & urban neighborhood-like feel; joggers, shoppers, lots of dog walkers etc
Beautiful park next to Hudson Rv; always people reading, jogging, dancing; very young and lively atmosphere in Hoboken.
Vital transportation; NJ Transit trains, buses, light rail to Jersey city, path to ny, ny waterway etc.
Cons:
Extremely expensive rent per square foot for most apartments
not a HUGE population of young law/business residents
The north side near Weehakeen- less locally owned businesses; slightly more boring. * STAY IN AREA AROUND WASHINGTON ST JUST TO THE NORTH OF HOBOKEN TRAIN STATION*
upw & hoboken are two difficult decisions. They both have a ton to offer, my suggestion is that you take your time and think carefully into your decision. good luck!

Old 02-02-2009, 09:38 AM

7,839 posts, read 7,284,597 times
>Good point

But Hoboken = Suburbia ?<

Naw what I meant is:

Do take this ONCE IN A LIFETIME opportunity to live in NYC before kids and responsibilities come. A couple years down the road when family coming... Move to a suburb with lawns and houses for a family.

Doing this in reverse is not remotely practical.

Old 02-02-2009, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevedark View Post

An HOUR from Hoboken? I doubt it would take that long. Maybe 30-40 minutes.

Old 02-02-2009, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
>Good point

But Hoboken = Suburbia ?<

Naw what I meant is:

Do take this ONCE IN A LIFETIME opportunity to live in NYC before kids and responsibilities come. A couple years down the road when family coming... Move to a suburb with lawns and houses for a family.

Doing this in reverse is not remotely practical.
You have to realize that there are a LOT of people that prefer city living, and choose to raise their families in the city. I used to think the same way that you do (that NYC living was only for youngish types), but I've come to realize that there are so many families who live there, by choice, and many of them are very, very wealthy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or