Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 08:40 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,581,650 times

Advertisements

Let's compile a list of things/services/what-have-you that are relatively *inexpensive* in NJ compared to the rest of the nation.

My list:

1) gasoline - we're probably 2nd or 3rd cheapest, due to low gas tax

2) state income tax - aside from the states that don't have one (FL, TX, etc), we do have one of the lowest state income tax in the nation

3) car registration - I hear horror (ok, that's an exaggeration) stories of people who have all these wacky car fees and taxes they need to pay each year (I have a friend in Cali who pays something like $1K a year). You know that line on your 1040 Schedule A that is always left blank for NJ residents called "Personal Property Tax"? That's what I'm tawkin' 'bout.

4) not sure how to characterize this one. I belong to a message board with people all over the nation. Every August/September there are parents posting about the ENORMOUS amount of stuff they need to provide to the schools for their kids (in order of about $150/kid). They basically stock the classroom for the year. Us? 2 #2 pencils. Also, this same friend in Cali from above usually gives about $600 a year to the PTA as a donation ("mandatory" donation") b/c their school system is in such dire straits. I've also read some districts in CA may mandate parents "pay" when they take kids out of school for unexcused absences since it directly affects the amount of state funding the district receives. crazy!

What would you add?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2007, 09:59 AM

46 posts, read 272,774 times
Default Add these items

1. State sales tax-now at 7% but that doesn't apply to clothes and essential items like food. I used to live in Jersey and live in TN now and am moving back as soon as possible. We pay 9.75% on EVERYTHING-food, clothing, gas, paper products!!!

2. Depending where you live-property taxes. In parts of Warren & Hunterdon counties, it's between $4-9K which is not bad considering that your property value will most likely appreciate very well compared to the rest of the country.

3. Public school system-NJ has one of the best public school systems in the country and it's FREE! NJ also spends more $$$ annually per student than the majority of the country. Most districts spend about $8K, but in some areas it's upwards of $10-15K. Here in TN, they barely spend $4K. The kids are stuck in trailers for classes because of overcrowding. So if you figure in private school tuition in TN of at least $7K per child per year and a 5% increase per year, you are looking at a minimum of $15K per child PER YEAR by the end of high school. I think even spending $10K or $15K per year in property taxes justifies an excellent school system and a future for your children.

So NJ may be expensive in terms of housing, but that is an investment and you will see a nice return and it provides a basic need-SHELTER. I think it's worth the extra $ to live in NJ. Can't wait to move back!

Old 03-13-2007, 10:32 AM

170 posts, read 960,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygirlInTN View Post
3. Public school system-NJ has one of the best public school systems in the country and it's FREE!
Last I checked, I good amount of the $11,000 I pay in taxes went to education. It is definately not free or inexpensive.

Old 03-13-2007, 11:09 AM

1,398 posts, read 7,689,239 times
[quote=jerseygirlInTN;452596]

3. Public school system-NJ has one of the best public school systems in the country and it's FREE! NJ also spends more $$$ annually per student than the majority of the country.

Your opinions don't seem to square with the facts.

I just did a Google of state by state school system comparisions. Guess what. New Jersey is ranked 16th !!. For spending all that money we should be near the top...and we're NOT. Not even close. So much for the myth that more money results in better school systems. You can thank the NJEA for that.

http://www.psk12.com/rating/index.php

Old 03-13-2007, 11:36 AM

Default also...

[quote=JBrown;452854]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygirlInTN View Post

3. Public school system-NJ has one of the best public school systems in the country and it's FREE! NJ also spends more $$$ annually per student than the majority of the country.

Your opinions don't seem to square with the facts.

I just did a Google of state by state school system comparisions. Guess what. New Jersey is ranked 16th !!. For spending all that money we should be near the top...and we're NOT. Not even close. So much for the myth that more money results in better school systems. You can thank the NJEA for that.

http://www.psk12.com/rating/index.php
"so much for the myth?" you post one link and that alone disproves NJ's educational system as being good to very good??? c'mon. btw, it's 6th for elementary in this link. but really, do we want to hang our hat on some test that varies from state to state? aren't there other factors involved in determining the effectiveness of our schools?

Old 03-13-2007, 11:57 AM

[quote=tahiti;452944]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBrown View Post

"so much for the myth?" you post one link and that alone disproves NJ's educational system as being good to very good??? c'mon. btw, it's 6th for elementary in this link. but really, do we want to hang our hat on some test that varies from state to state? aren't there other factors involved in determining the effectiveness of our schools?
Oh ok...that data dosen't jive with your preconceived notion?? here's another.

http://www.midwestsites.com/stellent...ed_000924.hcsp

This is state by state comparison for NATION WIDE SAT scores. Guess what.? NJ is ranked 37th !! Not very impressive for " NJ also spends more $$$ annually per student than the majority of the country." Hmmm..

Yes ..so much for the myth. Of course people are free to make up "other factors" which aren't measureable or capable of being comparred. For whatever that's worth.

Got any nationwide state by state test data that shows NJ to be say number 1 or 2 ??

BTW..just trying to stick with facts..not hyjack a thread..

Old 03-13-2007, 12:08 PM

Default Lol!

[quote=JBrown;453001]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post

This is state by state comparison for NATION WIDE SAT scores. Guess what.? NJ is ranked 37th !! Not very impressive for " NJ also spends more $$$ annually per student than the majority of the country." Hmmm..

Yes ..so much for the myth. Of course people are free to make up "other factors" which aren't measureable or capable of being comparred. For whatever that's worth.

Got any nationwide state by state test data that shows NJ to be say number 1 or 2 ??

"hyjack" (sic) a thread? I'm the one who started this thread about CHEAP things in NJ and YOU brought up how the NJEA is the downfall of civilization. But, yeah, ok, I'm the "hyjacker" (sic).

I never said I had links saying NJ is the best in the country. But I guess you're right, it's not all that, you did provide a *2nd* link, lol.

here's a link (since you like them) about WHY some states with better educational systems had lower scores: http://www.findarticles.com/p/articl...30/ai_81110769 basically, states with better schools tend to test MORE kids which results in lower averages - states with average systems test best and brightest. Usually the gauge of how well a school system is ranked is based upon number of kids attending college or taking AP classes.

Last edited by tahiti; 03-13-2007 at 12:18 PM..

Old 03-13-2007, 12:18 PM

I meant that I was responding to comments left by jerseygirlInTN (who brought up the NJ school system,not I) and that I was not trying to hyjack Your thread..

Old 03-13-2007, 12:32 PM

1,453 posts, read 4,918,816 times
The problem with the schools is that you have the extremes. In many other states you don't have the severe extremes especially at the high school level. That makes a big difference. They centralize the high schools instead of having one every other mile like NJ does. Also, lower cost of living states have an easier time attracting quality teachers. Teaching is an attractive career path in many of those places.

The best of the best and the worst of the worst- that is not really a great thing.

Old 03-13-2007, 01:41 PM

3,377 posts, read 14,574,224 times
[quote=JBrown;453001]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post

Just wanted to say don't put too much stock in SAT's. My daughter couldn't manage above an 1175 (took it 3 times). On the other hand she never carried less than a 3.80 in college.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey