Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 09:24 AM

40 posts, read 105,555 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to move within the next couple of years to NJ. I want to buy a home and start a family there. I want to move to a smaller town with a quaint vibe, some place safe, where my kids can grow up. I am also looking for a place with inexpensive real estate, where I can buy a 3-4 bedroom house for under $300,000. Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2009, 09:52 AM

1,552 posts, read 4,632,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sMe! View Post
I'm looking to move within the next couple of years to NJ. I want to buy a home and start a family there. I want to move to a smaller town with a quaint vibe, some place safe, where my kids can grow up. I am also looking for a place with inexpensive real estate, where I can buy a 3-4 bedroom house for under $300,000. Any ideas?
Well, it's good that you're looking ahead a few years. While there are many towns in NJ that might fit your description right now, there will be many more in the future, as home prices are expected to fall at least 25% more in 2009 alone. That should bring many more towns into your price range.

You don't mention any geographic areas. Where will you be working? In what industry? Do you need to be close to any metro areas (like NYC, or Philadelphia)?

Old 02-04-2009, 10:31 AM

505 posts, read 1,761,945 times
I have a couple of recommendations for you, although they are in the north, nw area of the state. And even in this market, bring your toolbelt, because 3-4 bedrooms under $300k is gonna need some work.

Areas to look at now:
Sparta- nice little town, rural, lots of outdoors stuff, quaint downtown at Lake Mohawk area
Hackettstown- western, nice area, not sure what the real estate is like out here but I think you could find something
Boonton- great access to everything, nice little downtown, schools arent that great though.

In the future, here is another town that might dip into your price range:
Denville- really cute downtown, great access, decent schools

Best of luck!

Old 02-04-2009, 10:20 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,641,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallguylehigh View Post
I have a couple of recommendations for you, although they are in the north, nw area of the state. And even in this market, bring your toolbelt, because 3-4 bedrooms under $300k is gonna need some work.

Areas to look at now:
Sparta- nice little town, rural, lots of outdoors stuff, quaint downtown at Lake Mohawk area
Hackettstown- western, nice area, not sure what the real estate is like out here but I think you could find something
Boonton- great access to everything, nice little downtown, schools arent that great though.

In the future, here is another town that might dip into your price range:
Denville- really cute downtown, great access, decent schools

Best of luck!
I agree with your assessment with Lake Mohawk mostly and Sparta to some extent. Even the Green Pond area.

Denville still has a lot of old bungalows around Indian lake that used to be summer homes for the rich and famous. Today they are all part of a bedroom community. And yes the Denville downtown district is one of the best.

I can add Hopatcong to this list too. Again, lots of small old bungalows long since converted to regular homes. I believe Hopatcong is still the lowest cost housing in Morris, Sussex, and beyond.

I am still giggling though. It ain't often hear the words "inexpensive and New Jersey" in the same sentence.

Old 02-05-2009, 03:40 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,513,457 times
Denville is an excellent choice. Very affordable, lakes, and a cute walkable downtown. I think Sparta for a 300,000 budget or under wanting a 3 /4 bedroom still may be out of reach money wise. I dont know maybe I am wrong but Sparta has come down in price but not under 300,000. Getting closer thought I will say. YOu could get a little log cabin for under 300,000 but it has little room I find. However you did say a few years so Sparta is dropping, do may be the ideal place.

Old 02-24-2009, 07:23 AM

189 posts, read 301,327 times
I can't advise you strongly enough to stick to what seem to be your intentions and wait a while. If the house you buy for $300,000 now is worth $200,000 in a year, you'll be sorry to say the least. I don't think there's any doubt whatsoever that prices are going to continue to drop - they haven't dropped nearly enough yet. When they bottom out, they won't suddenly turn around and leap back up to previous levels, so you'll have plenty of time to get the best deal you possibly can. And, as has been pointed out, places that are now out of your reach are going to come within the realm of possibility.

Old 02-24-2009, 07:42 AM

7,577 posts, read 22,598,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusitan View Post
Well, it's good that you're looking ahead a few years. While there are many towns in NJ that might fit your description right now, there will be many more in the future, as home prices are expected to fall at least 25% more in 2009 alone. That should bring many more towns into your price range.

You don't mention any geographic areas. Where will you be working? In what industry? Do you need to be close to any metro areas (like NYC, or Philadelphia)?
enough already!!! You are either enjoying the demise of the American way of living or you are revelling in the fact that you didn't buy because you'll save tons of money on your next purchase? Keep in mind... as you spread the poison, your home will also be declining by 25% in 2009... sell cheap, buy cheap.. what's the advantage? At least now you're getting a great interest rate on top of the bargain purchase?

Old 02-24-2009, 07:46 AM

7,577 posts, read 22,598,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sMe! View Post
Warren County or Sussex County in the northern portions of NJ. Or most of your counties down south will suit your price range.

Old 02-24-2009, 07:56 AM

1,000 posts, read 3,601,560 times
Riverton

Old 02-24-2009, 08:01 AM

505 posts, read 1,761,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusitan View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
enough already!!! You are either enjoying the demise of the American way of living or you are revelling in the fact that you didn't buy because you'll save tons of money on your next purchase? Keep in mind... as you spread the poison, your home will also be declining by 25% in 2009... sell cheap, buy cheap.. what's the advantage? At least now you're getting a great interest rate on top of the bargain purchase?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey