Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 10:09 AM

319 posts, read 1,250,595 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kort677 View Post
I've been in FLA since Jan, I don't miss the weekend traffic because of the bennies, webs or whatever you call them and the confiscatory taxes and the rude people.
LOL - "Bennies" - i can remember making "Bennies go Home!!" signs.

I haven't heard or used that word in so long... my husband is from nyc and finds my stories of the shore amusing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2007, 04:25 PM

5,412 posts, read 15,922,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf7 View Post
I'm now a Texan, but I'll be visiting my birth state - NJ - over the next week, starting tomorrow!
I spoke too soon. My vacation got canceled thanks to the weather and US (sc)Air's incompetence.

Old 06-30-2007, 01:58 PM

196 posts, read 768,084 times
emanon----I too am in the semi retirement position. Living in Jersey is very expensive. I came on this board to help make a decision about where to relocate and like you I'm getting tired of hearing all the negative comments about NC and how they feel towards us. I'd love to find a home in a state where there is peace . I lived in the South some years ago. I don't recall all this negativity about "yankees". Is this something new or is it because too many folks from the North are relocating there?

Old 06-30-2007, 02:27 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,408,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatElvisForever View Post
Well, yeah... you MOVED TO CONCORD. There's a reason it's cheap. Do you like NASCAR? Because otherwise, it's just a crappy run-down mill town next to Kanapolis. Hardly Charlotte, in the sense that Elizabeth is "spitting distance" from NYC. The nice neighborhoods in Charlotte aren't cheap, and rival Morristown, Princeton, etc etc. You Yankees need to do your homework before moving. Very little outside Charlotte should be seductive to a Northerner. Areas like Concord and Matthews aren't even seductive to Southerners. Get what you pay for (cheap new construction outside city limits in places locals would never consider).

P.S. I'm from Atlanta and Charlotte, and the most beautiful place I've ever lived is New Jersey (current resident). Ya'll are just chasing the cheap housing, not realizing what you are moving away from. Jersey Turnpike into NYC is a cakewalk compared to the Atlanta Perimeter.
First off Concord isn't exactly a run-down mill town the way Kannapolis is (sans mill). Unless you live on the Concord/Kannapolis border that statement has little merit. Second, duh....no matter homework you do it boils down to living experience, something you don't get on few day visits here and there to see what you like and what you don't.

I'll agree with you on the people chasing cheap housing and not realizing what they're moving away from. There's a ton more to life than a nice house and having all of your neighbors wave "hi" to you.

Old 06-30-2007, 07:53 PM

48 posts, read 192,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKOK View Post
You know I posted a reply and then deleted it because it's just a pointless waste of time.
Too funny.

Old 06-30-2007, 08:06 PM

48 posts, read 192,332 times
I am finally leaving NJ. I wish I lived in northern NJ, but I live in south jersey. I stayed because I had an amazing investment and I loved living in Ocean City, NJ in the summer. I put up with it the rest of the year. Jobs s#*k in this area but I am an RN so I can find a great job anywhere. I made a TON of money when I sold my OC property last month. I bought a beautiful home in St Petersburg Florida with cash. I have only have taxes and insurance since I made such a killing in NJ that I can afford to make less money.

If I don't like it...I will just come back. No sense whining and complaining about stuff. Since I am an RN I know that my health is most important so I should take risks and enjoy life. I won't always be ablt to take these risks. I have so many patients that tell me what they "wish" they did. JUST DO IT!!!!!

I feel fortunate that I made some outstanding financial investments. I never live beyond my means and did not have any debts to pay off when I sold my house. I refuse to be a slave to my "material things". Don't get in over your head and you can do anything you want if you have a stable job. Do you think?

Oh, one more thing. I didn't have kids. They are sooooooo expensive. I don't know how you guys afford them. I take everything I just said back. Kids change the equation, completely. We all make choices.

I might be back to NJ, we'll see. I am going to give Florida a chance.

Old 06-30-2007, 09:10 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,690,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemaddy View Post
I am finally leaving NJ. I wish I lived in northern NJ, but I live in south jersey. I stayed because I had an amazing investment and I loved living in Ocean City, NJ in the summer. I put up with it the rest of the year. Jobs s#*k in this area but I am an RN so I can find a great job anywhere. I made a TON of money when I sold my OC property last month. I bought a beautiful home in St Petersburg Florida with cash. I have only have taxes and insurance since I made such a killing in NJ that I can afford to make less money.

If I don't like it...I will just come back. No sense whining and complaining about stuff. Since I am an RN I know that my health is most important so I should take risks and enjoy life. I won't always be ablt to take these risks. I have so many patients that tell me what they "wish" they did. JUST DO IT!!!!!

I feel fortunate that I made some outstanding financial investments. I never live beyond my means and did not have any debts to pay off when I sold my house. I refuse to be a slave to my "material things". Don't get in over your head and you can do anything you want if you have a stable job. Do you think?

Oh, one more thing. I didn't have kids. They are sooooooo expensive. I don't know how you guys afford them. I take everything I just said back. Kids change the equation, completely. We all make choices.

be careful of that arm - you don't want to break it patting yourself on the back

i think your "amazing investments" and "killings" were probably a matter of being in the right place at the right time - purchasing in the early or mid 90's and selling within the past year.

i do have to say, for being an RN, you're going to the right place, good luck in fl!

Old 06-30-2007, 09:52 PM

183 posts, read 1,134,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemaddy View Post

We too are moving to FL- northern FL from south jersey. I think being from south jersey will make it easier to adjust to a southern way of life as opposed to being from north jersey.
As for the comment about kids, I don't have them either- yet. I want them, one day, but my hubby and I are only 23, and we want to "take risks" as you said before we have them. Your life sound very adventerous, but also a little lonely? I think kids add something to people's lives that no amount of financial success or stability can replace. But then again, I only have dogs right now, so what do I know?

Old 07-03-2007, 04:56 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,862,267 times
FAMILY and nothing really else.

Old 07-05-2007, 12:49 PM

85 posts, read 334,244 times
I am out of NJ in 2 weeks! Moving to NC. We are transferring with my husbands work. No its not easy, but we are hoping it will be for the best. The are is called the "triagle", which has its own section on this site under NC. It is all the surronding suburbs of raleigh. One on the towns Cary was one of the top 10 cities a year or 2 ago. We are moving from Mooretown, also voted one of the best. I have to say though, taxes and house prices cannot compare. You can get a gorgeous house with decent property for 199,000, to low 200,000 that would cost you easily 300,000 to 4000,000 here in NJ. With taxes of 1 to 2 percent! Dont even get me started on car insurance!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey