Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 05:16 PM

777 posts, read 2,379,255 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chance07 View Post
Interesting, my experience is completely opposite, albeit not in NJ. Usually the tax assessor vastly underestimates the value of the home.
It could happen. I worked for a company that was contracted by towns to do their town assessments. If your house is really updated, it could be underestimated by someone not going inside, especially if the outside isn't as nice as the interior.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2009, 05:36 PM

1,787 posts, read 5,745,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chance07 View Post
That's odd. I would never ever let a tax assessor into my home.
If you don't let the tax assessor into your house, your house can be appraised at the highest amount possible. If you don't have any upgrades and your house needs improvements, it's in your best interest to let the tax assessor inside.

Old 02-04-2009, 05:56 PM

2,510 posts, read 3,974,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin1975 View Post
As an appraiser, I would only say something to the occupant if they were sitting on the front porch. If I had to knock on every comparable house I was taking a picture of, I would never get finished.

Dangerous times? Sounds like you are being paranoid.
Are you serious ??? With all the forced and unforced home intrusions, robberies and in home beatings your that out of touch you don't understand how a homeowner might be concerned about someone thats perceived to be "casing" their home for who knows what purpose ? Take a look at the evening news some night and see why the public is paranoid...or just read some of the responses on this thread. As I said it would seem to be a "courtesy" that would natually be extended....now that you are aware of the concern your snooping does you might take it upon yourself to extend that courtesy and give a few homeowners a feeling of relief about your intentions.....especially the elderly and single moms ?

Old 02-04-2009, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan View Post
Are you serious ??? With all the forced and unforced home intrusions, robberies and in home beatings your that out of touch you don't understand how a homeowner might be concerned about someone thats perceived to be "casing" their home for who knows what purpose ? Take a look at the evening news some night and see why the public is paranoid...or just read some of the responses on this thread. As I said it would seem to be a "courtesy" that would natually be extended....now that you are aware of the concern your snooping does you might take it upon yourself to extend that courtesy and give a few homeowners a feeling of relief about your intentions.....especially the elderly and single moms ?
Maybe you watch way too much news. Time to read "The Culture of Fear" by Barry Glassner.

Old 02-04-2009, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Maybe you watch way too much news. Time to read "The Culture of Fear" by Barry Glassner.
Try reading other posts on this thread by those that are intimidated or fearful of strangers taking pictures and snooping oustide their homes......Geeze......the name of the thread is "Suspicious Activity".....that should tell you all you need to know if your paying attention ???

Old 02-04-2009, 06:40 PM

5,296 posts, read 7,233,802 times
I guess I would ask the local Police what they think about it and what to do and hopefully they will give you some good advice.

(I say** hopefully as not all Police are helpful sadly)
Good luck.

Old 02-04-2009, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Try reading other posts on this thread by those that are intimidated or fearful of strangers taking pictures and snooping oustide their homes......Geeze......the name of the thread is "Suspicious Activity".....that should tell you all you need to know if your paying attention ???
Snooping? I am taking a picture of their house from the street. 99% of the time the homeowner wouldn't even know I was there. I think it would be more intimidating or would cause fear having a stranger walk on your property and knock on your door than me taking a quick picture from my car from the street.

Yes I can friggin read. I am trying to give them a reason for the 'suspicious attention' and ease their fears. Appraisers take pictures of recent home sales all over the country without knocking on doors and leaving cards. Like I said, if I saw the homeowner outside of the house I was taking a picture of, I would notify them of my intentions.

Geezzzzzzzzzzzzz

Old 02-04-2009, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Snooping? I am taking a picture of their house from the street. 99% of the time the homeowner wouldn't even know I was there. I think it would be more intimidating or would cause fear having a stranger walk on your property and knock on your door than me taking a quick picture from my car from the street.
You still want to ignore the obvious message of the posters here.....you seem clueless that an unknown stranger outisde your house taking pictures on several occasions qualifies to the homeowner as "snooping" ? What you think is worse or more intimidating is unimportant....its the "perceived" danger of the situation to the homeowner whether the danger is real or just perceived. Maybe your a nice guy but to someone who doesn't know who you are your a cause for concern.

Last edited by FlyersFan; 02-04-2009 at 08:48 PM..

Old 02-04-2009, 08:29 PM

538 posts, read 2,457,341 times
They may be planning to put in a cell phone tower in your area. I work in the environmental field, and most cell phone carriers have to provide photographs of nearby houses that are within the viewshed of the proposed cell phone tower location. Is the house historic or in a historic district (over 50 years old)?

Old 02-04-2009, 08:58 PM

Quote:
You still want to ignore the obvious message of the posters here.....you seem clueless that an unknown stranger outisde your house taking pictures on several occasions qualifies to the homeowner as "snooping" ? What you think is worse or more intimidating is unimportant....its the "perceived" danger of the situation to the homeowner whether the danger is real or just perceived. Maybe your a nice guy but to someone who doesn't know who you are your a cause for concern.
You don't seem to understand that we are trying to come up with a reasonable explanation to why this person was taking pictures of her home and to qualm her concerns about this 'suspicious behavior'.

That obvious thing we were trying to answer. Stick to turkey shoot posts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey