U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 08:44 PM

2 posts, read 11,962 times
Default help...they stopped my unemployment benefits...why??

i filed for umemployment benefits in April 2008 because I quit a new job that i took after a three years working at previous employer...because i quit they set up the schedule phone trial because a gave some reasons as to why i quit....for whatever reason i never got to the interview because i was able to find a new job....after a few months i left this job and refiled for umemployment in sept and was granted it without a problem...my balance was 10756...ok....now coming up to this point...i have about 1800 left and i tried to do it online this past monday and bamm they said my claim has been received but it is not payable at this time....they asked if i filed an appeal and also i i had not an agent will review the claim before a check can be mailed out...anyway i have been in contact with them via phone twice in the weeks before and they never said anything about stopping payment....they also said i was eligible for an extension once my payments stopped....what could the problem be?? i have sinced moved and i am clsoing on my house..could this be something??? i want to call but it takes so long to get through to them....could have something to do with my first employeer that they are reviewing the reason behind me quiting after all these months...thanks for your help.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2009, 03:45 AM

5,306 posts, read 9,026,881 times
yes unemployment can not foward checks. In otherwords it must do directly to your new address. A post office will not forward it.

Old 02-05-2009, 05:38 AM

11,604 posts, read 20,510,887 times
i didn't think you were eligible if you quit? you better hope you don't have to pay it back

Old 02-05-2009, 10:12 AM

1,047 posts, read 3,090,919 times
Tahiti is right on both points.

Quiting is not a reason to collect unemployment without good cause (ie, substantial change in job requirements from what you were originally hired to do).

There are a few reasons I can think of that they might have stopped paying:

1. A mistake on their part.

2. Your 1st employer may have received notification of your claim and put in an appeal.

3. Your most recent employer may have received notification and put in an appeal.

4. Unemployement may have done an audit and decided to contact your previous employers and may have realized there may have been a mistake because you quit.

And yes, they can require re-payment of benefits they deem you were not qualified to receive.

Old 02-05-2009, 12:21 PM

1,448 posts, read 1,938,449 times
You can quit a job and collect for multiple reasons, for example, if you accepted a position and found once you started working the job that the hours were not as promised, or the duties as you understood them are not what was promised, you're being harassed in some way, etc. And it is true that unemployment checks cannot be forwarded, but I think you should keep trying to get through, only unemployment can tell you what the reason is..and I hope you are answering that you are able and available for work and have been looking for employment every time you responded to the questions over the phone every two weeks to claim your benefits..

Old 02-05-2009, 05:47 PM

2,510 posts, read 1,235,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onegreatnurse View Post
You can quit a job and collect for multiple reasons, for example, if you accepted a position and found once you started working the job that the hours were not as promised, or the duties as you understood them are not what was promised, you're being harassed in some way, etc. And it is true that unemployment checks cannot be forwarded, but I think you should keep trying to get through, only unemployment can tell you what the reason is..and I hope you are answering that you are able and available for work and have been looking for employment every time you responded to the questions over the phone every two weeks to claim your benefits..
Your a nurse thats out of work since last spring ??? Geeze.....they are screaming for nurses just about everywhere......I'm sorry....theres no excuse for a nurse to be out of work since last spring with the demand for nurses there is today.

Old 02-05-2009, 05:59 PM

2,680 posts, read 4,425,422 times
It's a sad economy when nurses can't find work. What's next overpaid teachers?

Old 02-05-2009, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfrisco View Post
It's a sad economy when nurses can't find work. What's next overpaid teachers?
You think teachers make too much ?

Old 02-05-2009, 06:17 PM

2,680 posts, read 4,425,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan View Post
You think teachers make too much ?
Yes in NJ they do.

Old 02-05-2009, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfrisco View Post
Yes in NJ they do.
Well...the starting salary is about 35-40K in most areas.....how is that too much ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey