Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2013, 08:40 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,677,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletKnightJet View Post
I'm not filled with angst, I'm being honest.

Also, Staten Island isn't urban. It's full of decay. The problem is the people who bring that decay to NJ...and their favorite area is Western Monmouth County.

I'm responding to the idea that "I wish I could afford Marlboro". I could. I just have better places for investment.

You can turn out "just fine" from the South Bronx, that wasn't the point. The point is the type of people that live there in MANY cases are not people you want as neighbors.

And if Manalapan is so great, why did you move to Cran(ford) or Cran(bury)? Did you want to have ACTUAL good schools instead of community college factories? Did you want to see actual wealth versus pretend? Interesting choice!
post up your w2, I want to make sure you can afford a Marlboro home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2013, 10:07 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,680,039 times
Quote:
I'm not filled with angst, I'm being honest.

Also, Staten Island isn't urban. It's full of decay. The problem is the people who bring that decay to NJ...and their favorite area is Western Monmouth County.

I'm responding to the idea that "I wish I could afford Marlboro". I could. I just have better places for investment.

You can turn out "just fine" from the South Bronx, that wasn't the point. The point is the type of people that live there in MANY cases are not people you want as neighbors.

And if Manalapan is so great, why did you move to Cran(ford) or Cran(bury)? Did you want to have ACTUAL good schools instead of community college factories? Did you want to see actual wealth versus pretend? Interesting choice!
what's wrong with brookdale?

Old 08-16-2013, 11:00 AM

256 posts, read 572,808 times
There is nothing "wrong" with Brookdale...but I don't think HS that place so heavily there should be too well regarded, particularly when the parents can often afford more.

You won't see all the CC placements from Holmdel, for example, or wealtheir towns outside of Monmouth, or even less wealthy towns that value education over flash.

Also I own in Downtown JC...which is more expensive than Marlboro these days.

Old 08-16-2013, 11:03 AM

Quote:
There is nothing "wrong" with Brookdale...but I don't think HS that place so heavily there should be too well regarded, particularly when the parents can often afford more.

You won't see all the CC placements from Holmdel, for example, or wealtheir towns outside of Monmouth, or even less wealthy towns that value education over flash.

scarlet seems to be fixated on a couple of things. 1. the concept that marlboro residents arent really wealthy like other truly wealthy towns and 2. that he can afford to live in marlboro but he doesnt wish to.

Old 08-16-2013, 11:13 AM

1) True- it's not as wealthy as the real desirable NJ towns and 2) I'm responding to the allegation that young people from there that don't like it "wish they could afford it" which is baloney.

No one from west of the Outerbridge aspires to live in Marlboro, except people from there with delusional attitudes about it. Follow the money. You can add 10 minutes to your commute and live in Howell or Monroe for schools that are nearly as good, and save on your mortgage. Or you can spend as much as live in North Jersey and be much closer to the city...and in all cases, avoid people from Marlboro. Win/win!

Old 08-16-2013, 11:42 AM

Quote:

I can't find statistics to support/dispel your statement about CC but even if 200 students per year go to Brookdale (which seems suspect but I don't know), so what? CC (and I don't know Brookdale other than it's supposed to be pretty good as far as CC's go) can be a very smart, economical choice for many students.

I found some stats here - seems Marlboro performs pretty highly.

http://www.state.nj.us/education/pr/.../251650080.pdf

FTR - other than driving through M'boro on Rt 18, I don't think I've ever been there.

Old 08-16-2013, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
FTR - other than driving through M'boro on Rt 18, I don't think I've ever been there.

i remember when i grew up there a kid named scarlet that used to pick and eat his own boogers and hated everyone else in class.

Old 08-16-2013, 07:53 PM

1,247 posts, read 3,024,295 times
Default A few things

1. Nothing is wrong with Brookdale. I think the big thing ScarletKnightJet was pointing out about it is the fact that it is a community college and not a 4-year school. And community colleges are usually frowned upon by those going to 4-year schools. Kind of undeserved though as it is far cheaper to go there than to a 4 year school. And I think Brookdale is one of the better ranked community colleges in NJ as it is. The campus there is pretty impressive, I've been there a few times. I went to Middlesex for two years to get my AA before going away and I did fine. Staff were very accommodating and more than helpful, more than at the school I went away to. My biggest knock on it was the fact that there were too many students who were going there to waste time and did not have much of an interest in bettering themselves, probably the same types of Marlboro-ite dropouts that ScarletKnightJet describes as wasting time at Brookdale for two semesters. That said, most of those dropout students were from places like Carteret, South Amboy and South River, which are pretty much lower working class areas with plenty of "white trash" sprinkled in. All kidding aside though, I am sure EVERY community college has a lot of students like that. I know Camden County College ironically was ranked the best in NJ, you don't think it gets a lot of dropouts from Camden?

2. The entire Marlboro/Manalapan (FRHSD) area is generally a lot newer as far as developing goes than anything that surrounds it on all sides. The reason for this is because it is more difficult to get to than its surrounding areas. The only main road that goes there is Route 9, and there is no mass transit. The highway portion of Rt 18 that extends down that way just kind of nips the outskirts of it before heading out toward the shore. So developers and planners always skipped that area during past generations. Also because they had a lot of prosperous working farms in those areas too. Now with all the development being built there, it has essentially become Staten Island South. In one quick motion, a lot of people from Staten Island got huge bucks for their shacks there and with the same amount of money got themselves a much bigger house in Marlboro or Manalapan, so now they think they are living large and become so self-absorbed and think they are better than anyone else, and all firmly believe there is no better place on earth and cannot, for the life of them, imagine any real reason why someone would not want to live there (and label anyone that outspokenly does not want to live there as being "jealous"). Even though we NJ natives know they are a very low class of people in nature. And we also know most people in the truly affluent, and even truly upper middle class areas elsewhere in NJ could care less about moving to Marlboro. It is still an isolated area, though three times as crowded as it once was, but due to its inconvenient location, has not been able to attract much business or industry, or any high paying local jobs. So, it essentially has become one-dimensional in regards to the criteria of its residents.

3. ScarletKnightJet, just add CaptainNJ to your ignore list.

Old 08-20-2013, 01:45 PM

I would agree with HubCity, and ask what suburbs do you spend 600k for a house have a 1/3 of the class going to community college? Certainly not many of the well regarded NJ ones.

Old 08-20-2013, 01:51 PM

Quote:
I would agree with HubCity, and ask what suburbs do you spend 600k for a house have a 1/3 of the class going to community college? Certainly not many of the well regarded NJ ones.
I've posted stats on Marlboro High, and it seems well regarded. Do you have anything to back up your claim that 33% go to CC?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey