U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-06-2009, 08:06 PM

5,171 posts, read 7,485,106 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Anyone here moving to MD as part of BRAC?

If so, where are you planning to live? Are you going to buy or rent, and where do you live in NJ now? Do you need to sell a house in NJ before you move down here, and if so are you having an easy time selling the house?

Thanks,

Kinky
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2009, 06:30 PM

Hmm I guess none of you are interested in answering my question.

Old 02-09-2009, 06:36 PM

1,026 posts, read 2,050,927 times
I'm sure plenty of us are interested - but perhaps no one here has the type of experience you are asking for...?

Old 02-09-2009, 08:26 PM

Okay. Well down here I keep reading that BRAC people are going to descend on my state. Actually I'm a little scared. I think I saw something like 30K jobs will move to MD. I wonder if that means 30K people. I'm afraid for the housing market since houses are already really expensive. I also read an article by some new residents from NJ saying how "cheap" MD is to them. I'm just afraid for myself, I guess. Should I just move now? Will the place be really overcrowed? Will a bunch of ppl with lots of NJ money come and price me out of the area. Sigh. I'm just worried and I wanted to see if any of you are planning to come here and if you can clue me into the plans so I can decide what to do for the next couple of years.

Old 02-09-2009, 08:34 PM

1,026 posts, read 2,050,927 times
I have no idea what BRAC even is... but if you read around the NJ boards, you'll see that people are hardly swimming in "lots of NJ money"...

Old 02-10-2009, 11:37 AM

Well, BRAC is base realignment and closure. We have four (I think) military bases in MD that are getting jobs from New Jersey, VA and other areas. The jobs are in a variety of fields and I think a base in Northern NJ (Ft Monmouth?) is being closed. There is excitement and trepidation down here. The housing market has tanked in some areas--as it rightly should have IMO--and some people are looking forward to an onslaught of new buyers. In some areas, the counties have even built new roads etc in anticipation of the BRAC people. If you're a US citizen, there are lots of jobs in MD in general, and even more jobs will come here as part of BRAC. In light of all this, I want to know if I should get the heck out of dodge this year or wait a while .
I guess NJ's aren't as concerned about BRAC as MD'ers are.

Old 03-02-2009, 10:33 AM

9 posts, read 25,060 times
As a new government employee, thus, I am not as "seasoned" as some others who may be able to answer your questions better. But, I can answer based on what I am hearing from my co-workers about the up and coming BRAC movement to MD.

1) As far as NJ money, well, that's a little misleading. A portion of civilian government employee's salary is based on where they actually live, so we are ACTUALLY losing money by relocating to MD since the locality pay is higher in NJ/NY area compared to MD/VA/DC area. That's right, a decrease in salary.

2) Those who already have homes in NJ area purchased years ago, so because of the real estate market decline, their home values declined with it. Thus, all the monies that MD think the NJ folks have to purchase new homes isn't going to be there. If the prices of homes in MD increase drastically then no one will be able to purchase. I don't think there will be a drastic increase.

3) From my understanding, those who can retire, will do so. As of recent, only about 30% of the workforce even want to move to MD. Myself included. I used to work in Baltimore before and am just not too fond of the APG area. We are just as concerned about moving to the APG area just like you are concerned about our coming there.

4) I say give the area a chance. Purchase your home now, your market value may actually go up with the move. Isn't that a good thing? Also look for a job on the base, in this economic market, most states would be glad to hear of several hundred jobs were coming. Because so many NJ'ers are not coming, that leaves room for newcomers to enter the federal government. After all, right now, the job security looks far better than the private sector.

I hope this helps.

Old 03-02-2009, 10:49 AM

11,688 posts, read 21,315,875 times
why not post this on the MD boards? obviously we have no posters relocating to MD b/c of BRAC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey