U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 02:49 PM

4 posts, read 13,275 times

Advertisements

Wow....I moved to New Brunswick twelve years ago from Marlboro Township an upper white class neighborhood...I've seen nothing but positive change since then...New Brunswick is actually one of the better cities in New Jersey catering to all crowds and all economc backgrounds, whether college students, low income, middle class or upper class... If i were to move to any city it wuld be New Brunswick, its safer than most, I think theoakman might of had a bad experience and just exaggerated from that point on because its definetly not that serious. If you get involved in the community you would see that they have something for everyone..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2009, 02:57 PM

And the train comment...Wow, thats just weird...Do you actually live in New Brunswick? There are no trains that run through Livingston and Fulton Apartments are on the other side of town near the North Brunswick border...

Old 02-27-2009, 03:01 PM

Someone must have scared you, idk what happened to you but its definetly not that serious...lmao....A firearm? Im from Marlboro township and currently live in New Brunswick. I think you just had a bad case of culture shock or reality...IDK but if you want to live in the city this would be nearly the best choice in Jersey, has one of the lowest crime rates compared to others...Its No trenton, newark or camden thats for sure...A firearm? wow...

Old 02-27-2009, 03:10 PM

498 posts, read 579,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJcruiser View Post
Wow....I moved to New Brunswick twelve years ago from Marlboro Township an upper white class neighborhood...I've seen nothing but positive change since then...New Brunswick is actually one of the better cities in New Jersey catering to all crowds and all economc backgrounds, whether college students, low income, middle class or upper class... If i were to move to any city it wuld be New Brunswick, its safer than most, I think theoakman might of had a bad experience and just exaggerated from that point on because its definetly not that serious. If you get involved in the community you would see that they have something for everyone..
please, I lived in New Brunswick on and off since 1998. I didn't say that New Brunswick didn't fix up certain areas of town. But, the fact remaines, New Brunswick is a high crime town, and crime increases during times of economic hardship. It's going to get worse in New Brunswick the next couple of years. That's a fact.

Don't even try to accuse me of having a case of culture shock. I have no problem living in a rough neighborhood. I never claimed it was Newark or Camden, but you are arguing like it's peaches and cream in New Brunswick. It's not. You are failing to look towards the future rather than looking right now. Towns don't improve during recessions. They really don't improve during recessions when people are losing their homes. I'll be back here in a year saying "I told you so".

Old 02-27-2009, 11:44 PM

329 posts, read 1,081,389 times
I was googling for plainfield here and came to know that some bad apples for no reason hit common men with baseball bat and they are now in vegetative state.
Some people also hear gun shots in their homes. Scary.

New brunswick does not look that bad comparatively, may be because there are so many people and jobs. They have a great college and two excellent hospitals.
I remember I even been to an Ethiopoan restaurant in George street. I could not even located on in nyc. Indeed new brunswick is quite diverse.

Its just some pockets here and there perhaps which I am not sure about because i do not live there. But that area where Fulton exists is indeed ghetto after few blocks. That whole area would change as more new developments come in. Urban redevelopment in general takes time. Perhaps decades, and even longer during recession.

Old 02-28-2009, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoakman View Post
please, I lived in New Brunswick on and off since 1998. I didn't say that New Brunswick didn't fix up certain areas of town. But, the fact remaines, New Brunswick is a high crime town, and crime increases during times of economic hardship. It's going to get worse in New Brunswick the next couple of years. That's a fact.

Don't even try to accuse me of having a case of culture shock. I have no problem living in a rough neighborhood. I never claimed it was Newark or Camden, but you are arguing like it's peaches and cream in New Brunswick. It's not. You are failing to look towards the future rather than looking right now. Towns don't improve during recessions. They really don't improve during recessions when people are losing their homes. I'll be back here in a year saying "I told you so".

Your correct in that communities dont necessarily improve during recession but the US as a whole is going under not just New Brunswick therefore crime everywhere will increase not just in the city....There are plenty of middle class families, losing homes, businesses and jobs who are now living off of investments that wont last much longer...Desperate times cause for desperate measures but those measures expand far past the inner city....Im thinking that maybe your ignorance got you in the mindset your in today bc you definetly took what I said and ran with it. My comments were aimed toward New Brunswick in relation to other cities...If you want to talk about New Brunswick in relation to the current economic market and the affects it may have on the residents thats a different conversation. There is no way that only one city and one social or economic class is being affected by this recession, its america as a whole...People are falling left and right despite where they live...

Old 02-28-2009, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJcruiser View Post
Your correct in that communities dont necessarily improve during recession but the US as a whole is going under not just New Brunswick therefore crime everywhere will increase not just in the city....There are plenty of middle class families, losing homes, businesses and jobs who are now living off of investments that wont last much longer...Desperate times cause for desperate measures but those measures expand far past the inner city....Im thinking that maybe your ignorance got you in the mindset your in today bc you definetly took what I said and ran with it. My comments were aimed toward New Brunswick in relation to other cities...If you want to talk about New Brunswick in relation to the current economic market and the affects it may have on the residents thats a different conversation. There is no way that only one city and one social or economic class is being affected by this recession, its america as a whole...People are falling left and right despite where they live...
now you're just being a jerk by calling me ignorant. Please cite where I said I said that New Brunswick was the only city that was going to go down? In fact, if you read my friggin post, I clearly stated that towns (meaning every town in America) don't improve durin ga recession. New Brunswick is a high crime town. It's going to get worse. There are better places to live in Middlesex County than New Brunswick. End of story.

Old 03-13-2009, 09:03 PM

Is it ironic that it only took about 2 weeks to vindicate me?

Four arrested in Middlesex shooting, Somerset bank robbery - Breaking News From New Jersey - NJ.com

These bank robbers were fleeing from cops, speeding through New Brunswick, and shooting at the cops. They crashed and started running through the streets of New Brunswick while continuing to shoot. They even made it within a block of the apartment I moved out of a few months ago. They made within 3 blocks of the college campus.

Old 08-02-2009, 05:12 AM

1 posts, read 3,017 times
Default Not sure where to begin...

Well, I have been in New Brunswick since 1995. I moved away for a while in 2001 and came back about 5 years ago in 2004 and settled in North Brunswick. I can not say that I personally have not had any problems in New Brunswick but I do see the problems occuring in New Brunswick and some of the surrounding areas. I definitely feel alittle unsafe past a certain hour there. I am excluding the downtown area where there are lots of lights and people constantly buzzing around.

I came to this forum because my realtor brought me to Fulton Square to view a townhome today. In the search for my first home I figured I would give it a shot. Let me say they are absolutely fabulous...however...they are still in New Brunswick. It is definitely a "catch 22" when you think about it because you do get a lot of home for your money. The doenside is that there is no space of your own. No deck or patio and everything on the grounds is common space.

If I did not have a son and I was by myself I just might...consider it. They did however say that children from the neighborbood wiggle through the gate to come into the community and people do give their passcodes out to their visitors to enter. Once someone has your code they can give it to whoever they wish. So its gated but...wouldn't a key card or a guard be a little safer.

I also came back to this forum because last time I was here (looking for feedback) someone had posted that there were a lot of robberies happening inside of the development. I had wondered how that was if the area is gated but now that I know that people give out ehir passcodes to friends and various visitors, I see how that could be. Once your code is out, it is out and that person can give it to anyone they want. So althought they boast a "gated community", "townees"could easily gain access. Its not like you give a name at a gate and someone lets you in. Anyway, I wanted to see what the latest was and if there were any new developments.

This place it truly appetizing if you are not sure what lies beyond the gates...or even within. They also kind of glossed over my question as to who is in the community and what type of access does the outside have to it. When I askes this question I wanted a demographic. What does a cross section look like here. They only told me who they were trying to attract...Avoiding the question...not good! They said currently a school bus crashed into one of the gates on the Commercial Ave side and there is open acces at this time...until it is fixed.

Although this is a wonderful brand new community that you could not find for this price in Central Jersey, I will probably be passing it up because of the surrounding area which is not so good. Darn! That tax ibatement sounds great. The tax ibatement says that your taxes can not increase for 10 years and you only pay 5% of you purchase price. Awesome right!

Single people--- if you don't mind an area that is a little rough around the edges and you have no kids its a good buy-especially for your first home.

Last edited by mskayt; 08-02-2009 at 05:20 AM..

Old 08-02-2009, 05:44 AM

837 posts, read 482,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lets_hope_for_newbruns View Post
Yep, I did some research in the area around fulton square. Perhaps theoakman you live in a different area. Fulton is 2 miles away from downtown. I even went at sunset and took a stroll in the adjacent playground. It was mostly teenagers from neighborhood homes who hangout there and make lots of noise. But I also checked after closing all the doors and windows inside the house. It may not be true test as it is winter time when park is not that crowded. The quality of the house must be good quality to filter all that noise away. Also I am well inside the complex away from the road, so I am pretty sure if there are rowdy people driving with loud music or whatever it will not impact me as I well inside the gate and the park is closed at night. These days in every new condo and townhome development in nj you will see diverse people. This is after all those mt laurel and section 8 housing and other laws that were passed. I forget which one applies where, but the point is we must get accustomed to diversity. We are all one. The strong must help the weak. If time permits, I am planning to do some community activity around there as well.

Oh I do not have kids nor plan to have one, so it may not surprise many. The benefits of enjoying in a luxurious townhome far outweighs the other insecurity issue I may come across. Besides what will they steal, stereo? Blue rays LOL. Let them steal it. I mean I am going to put up ADT also just in case. The neighborhood consists of mostly hispanic and the park is anyways dangerous in the night even in central park new york, so i am not worried.

The whole idea of putting up these homes and developing new brunswick is that local residents will get jobs and crime would drop.

I do not like segregation that one experiences increasingly in US. Original US was supposed to be all about equality. I see people drifting away from that dream. The strong must help the weak, otherwise what use is his strength for?
Don't we all breathe the same air? Your brother exhales it and we inhale it. See we are all united.

I am not saying your privacy and other rights be violated, all I am saying is we need to address the root of the problem. look in to unemployment and our school systems. In perth amboy I heard many of them don't know to read or speak english. I am not a democrat nor a republican but I will say this, the whole democrat policy of not making english as standard language will make these people live in more poverty. I mean, the rest of the country is prospering because they are all communicating well. See whats happening in Perth Amboy and you will know what I mean. I heard people are not able to speak or understand english.

Every language is just a communication tool. The democrat as usual is vicitimising this issue. Some might argue that even all that housing laws are victimization. It may be true because i did see a hummer car at one of the multi fly building in one of the new developments in middletown nj. Well, change is difficult .... but not impossible.

Oh good thing is that they are planning to build another recreation park just behind Fulton square, so hopefully the kids will split
Check this link out , it gives you the whole plan in exciting new brunswick.
New Brunswick Development Map - CommunityWalk

I read about this new development in so. boundbrook -- i think it is a rip off to pay 405k for a 300k quality townhome just to be in a safe area and a district with good school. Even if thieves steal your home valuables , which I doubt should happen, it still works out better for you. I mean just take condo insurance that costs 1000 average a year. I feel single people are being unfairly taxed by the government. The need of the hour is less population so that quality life could be experienced and the government should really help single people instead of overtaxing them. Strange dogmatic government in some of the town.

There are lots of condos and townhomes being build in the surrounding area of Fulton square. Remsen ave will have lots of new developments for the community in the future. There is also a nice church in Remsen ave. The whole road path from Rt 18 to commercial ave is not so great as it has a ghetto feel to it. But coming from livingstone ave , the roads are better, no potholes and very silent. And lots of new shops are coming up. Oh did I mention, I saw a high rise apartment building also , I think it was called Gateway. So the project was indeed complete
Its the system, the government has set up taxes to 1) incourage people to buy homes. 2) Be married to the opposite sex. Thats why renters get no tax breaks what so ever and why singles and gays get no tax break.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey