U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-08-2009, 04:26 PM

329 posts, read 1,055,668 times
Smile Fulton Square Townhomes in New Brunswick NJ

Builders website:
http://www.edgewoodproperties.com/index_res_fulton.html (broken link)

I had read other negative comments from users over here, but haven't written this area off yet. I personally went to check this community out and i was very impressed. The homes are very cute from outside. The roads had many potholes coming from commercial ave side, but driving thru Livingston ave and Remsen ave was ok. Remsen ave does not have many traffic. So if you are thinking of buying homes attached to the home do not worry about sound. When we close the door and windows, the noise levels don't bother you. This is winter time, so i cannot tell the same about the noise levels from the adjacent park.

Their popular selling model is the chesepeake mode which is cute, but the Davenport model is equally good and spacious, I thought. Infact, I saw similar sized and design town home in Edison's Lennar development selling in the 500k range. Compare this to the Davenport models that is selling for low 300s.
The community is also commuters delight because across the gate is bus to NB train station. There are several Coach buses that lets you park and drive to new york.

New brunswick is indeed going thru a renaissance and i think it should do good. Property tax abatement for 10 years will surely save home owners tons of money in a state that boasts the largest property taxes.

A walk thru downtown has a good feel to it too and parkings are free on weekends.

Check these links out for the area prospects and development progress:

http://www.civicleague.com/neighborhood.html (broken link)

http://www.cityofnewbrunswick.org/depts/economicdev/devneighborhoods.asp (broken link)

I was looking at Perth amboy also , and NB seems far more happening to me perhaps because NB seems to be home to Rutgers (intellectual capital). No property tax abatement at Perth amboy, may be because their policement and firemen could keep their jobs LOL

Last edited by lets_hope_for_newbruns; 02-08-2009 at 04:54 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2009, 07:32 PM

18 posts, read 85,681 times
The prices are not as great as you put it. Indeed they are newer homes and the prices are comparable to those in the Piscataway area. The tax abatement is good also.

The development is nice, however the surrounding area is bad. I visited Fulton Square a few times already and checked out all their homes. I did not feel too safe in that area, so I decided not to purchase a home there.

Old 02-08-2009, 08:15 PM

498 posts, read 558,110 times
As an on and off New Brunswick resident for 10 years, I would advise you to forget this town. New Brunswick is not undergoing a renaissance. They knocked down some projects and put up luxury apartments in their place. They installed section 8 housing everywhere around it. They improved 2 or 3 blocks of a big city. The area you are talking about is not very nice. It looks nice and new. But I would advise you to see what happens at night. New Brunswick has a big problem with crime. My car has been broken into at least 5 times the past 4 years. The store behind my apartment has been broken into 3 times. Someone even tried mugging me 3 blocks off Rutgers. New Brunswick is ok if you know how to handle yourself, and by handle yourself, I mean able to fend off attackers. I normally carry around a 3 inch switch blade attached to my keys and I had to draw it twice simply to get people to back off in my most recent stay there. I actually moved out last month simply because I've seen this town through good times and bad. When the economy tanks, the city of New Brunswick is going to go down big time and crime will be a much bigger problem than it already is.

Old 02-08-2009, 09:49 PM

Yep, I did some research in the area around fulton square. Perhaps theoakman you live in a different area. Fulton is 2 miles away from downtown. I even went at sunset and took a stroll in the adjacent playground. It was mostly teenagers from neighborhood homes who hangout there and make lots of noise. But I also checked after closing all the doors and windows inside the house. It may not be true test as it is winter time when park is not that crowded. The quality of the house must be good quality to filter all that noise away. Also I am well inside the complex away from the road, so I am pretty sure if there are rowdy people driving with loud music or whatever it will not impact me as I well inside the gate and the park is closed at night. These days in every new condo and townhome development in nj you will see diverse people. This is after all those mt laurel and section 8 housing and other laws that were passed. I forget which one applies where, but the point is we must get accustomed to diversity. We are all one. The strong must help the weak. If time permits, I am planning to do some community activity around there as well.

Oh I do not have kids nor plan to have one, so it may not surprise many. The benefits of enjoying in a luxurious townhome far outweighs the other insecurity issue I may come across. Besides what will they steal, stereo? Blue rays LOL. Let them steal it. I mean I am going to put up ADT also just in case. The neighborhood consists of mostly hispanic and the park is anyways dangerous in the night even in central park new york, so i am not worried.

The whole idea of putting up these homes and developing new brunswick is that local residents will get jobs and crime would drop.

I do not like segregation that one experiences increasingly in US. Original US was supposed to be all about equality. I see people drifting away from that dream. The strong must help the weak, otherwise what use is his strength for?
Don't we all breathe the same air? Your brother exhales it and we inhale it. See we are all united.

I am not saying your privacy and other rights be violated, all I am saying is we need to address the root of the problem. look in to unemployment and our school systems. In perth amboy I heard many of them don't know to read or speak english. I am not a democrat nor a republican but I will say this, the whole democrat policy of not making english as standard language will make these people live in more poverty. I mean, the rest of the country is prospering because they are all communicating well. See whats happening in Perth Amboy and you will know what I mean. I heard people are not able to speak or understand english.

Every language is just a communication tool. The democrat as usual is vicitimising this issue. Some might argue that even all that housing laws are victimization. It may be true because i did see a hummer car at one of the multi fly building in one of the new developments in middletown nj. Well, change is difficult .... but not impossible.

Oh good thing is that they are planning to build another recreation park just behind Fulton square, so hopefully the kids will split
Check this link out , it gives you the whole plan in exciting new brunswick.
New Brunswick Development Map - CommunityWalk

I read about this new development in so. boundbrook -- i think it is a rip off to pay 405k for a 300k quality townhome just to be in a safe area and a district with good school. Even if thieves steal your home valuables , which I doubt should happen, it still works out better for you. I mean just take condo insurance that costs 1000 average a year. I feel single people are being unfairly taxed by the government. The need of the hour is less population so that quality life could be experienced and the government should really help single people instead of overtaxing them. Strange dogmatic government in some of the town.

There are lots of condos and townhomes being build in the surrounding area of Fulton square. Remsen ave will have lots of new developments for the community in the future. There is also a nice church in Remsen ave. The whole road path from Rt 18 to commercial ave is not so great as it has a ghetto feel to it. But coming from livingstone ave , the roads are better, no potholes and very silent. And lots of new shops are coming up. Oh did I mention, I saw a high rise apartment building also , I think it was called Gateway. So the project was indeed complete

Last edited by lets_hope_for_newbruns; 02-08-2009 at 10:31 PM..

Old 02-08-2009, 10:34 PM

526 posts, read 1,412,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lets_hope_for_newbruns View Post
I do not like segregation that one experiences increasingly in US. Original US was supposed to be all about equality.
"Original US" allowed slavery. "Original US" glorified the hunting of Injuns. Let's not get carried away here, every era has its warts and people, in the end, have to look out for themselves. If you want to put a romantic idealism above your own personal safety, you can do that. But expect others to call that attitude out for what they believe it is. I think it's starry eyed and naive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lets_hope_for_newbruns View Post
I read about this new development in so. boundbrook -- i think it is a rip off to pay 405k for a 300k quality townhome just to be in a safe area and a district with good school.
What makes a townhouse "300k quality"? Maybe you don't know this, but in real estate location is everything. People will pay more to live in a place that gives them the things they need the most. Most people value safety and good schools. That's why they pay more for it.

Old 02-08-2009, 11:47 PM

Quote:
These days in every new condo and townhome development in nj you will see diverse people. This is after all those mt laurel and section 8 housing and other laws that were passed. I
haha, I don't know what that rant is about. But seriously, for your own safety, I hope you can hold your own in an area like that. This has nothing to do with diversity and politics. This is about a town filled with people who deal drugs, steal cars, rob people, and break into houses.

Quote:
Even if thieves steal your home valuables , which I doubt should happen, it still works out better for you. I mean just take condo insurance that costs 1000 average a year.
This statement alone makes me conclude that you've never lived in a crime ridden town. When thieves are stealing stuff from your house, you don't care about what they take or if insurance will reimburse you. You care if they are going to shoot you or not.

Don't believe anything you read about "revitalization" in New Brunswick. It's not happening. It's all make believe. Like I said, they made 3 blocks nice and you are no where near those 3 blocks. Crime is getting worse and I moved out because of it. The area you are referring to is not a nice one.

You seem to be a little too upbeat about this town. I would suggest you read the police blotter. As for your views on "we are the world" and diversity. Sure, it's a great idea. But the fact of the matter is, there are plenty of people in New Brunswick that don't share your views and will go out of their way to mess with you if your the wrong skin color.

There is not a "ghetto feel" to it. It is the ghetto.

Old 02-08-2009, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Original US" allowed slavery.
Well you are mistaken when you read the declaration. Where does it say slavery is allowed?

Quote:
"Original US" glorified the hunting of Injuns.
Same thing. I am not saying it was all rosy in the beginning. Everyone made sacrifices.

Quote:
But expect others to call that attitude out for what they believe it is. I think it's starry eyed and naive.
Yep, to each his/her own. It took few brave men to dump tea in to Boston harbor that day and we all know the history. It really takes a small community to make dreams possible. Like I said earlier , I have to pay my big bills so really cannot afford time for community activities. But I certainly stand for it. Blessed is the mayor of town or whoever it is for having a vision.

Quote:
People will pay more to live in a place that gives them the things they need the most. Most people value safety and good schools. That's why they pay more for it.
I had also said that I can as a single man it does not make senses for me to pay for something which I do not use. Rather I let that money I bring with me go in to poor developments. It is they who need it not the rich towns. I was trying to help in my own ways however I could. Even in the movie 'beautiful mind' , Nash quips 'if everyone goes for the blond , no one will get laid' :laughing:

Well everyone is free to follow their own desires. Everyones needs are different.
I am for all that. I was just expressing my decision making process. I encourage single people to be fearless and not to go with the general crowd.

Let not race and wealth and other attributes make you look down upon people. You are closing one of the doors of reality when you do that.

Old 02-09-2009, 01:32 AM

964 posts, read 1,504,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoakman View Post
I normally carry around a 3 inch switch blade attached to my keys and I had to draw it twice simply to get people to back off in my most recent stay there.
Geez...I carried a switch blade in New Brunswick back in the late 1970s. I guess some things never change.

Old 02-09-2009, 06:27 AM

5,015 posts, read 4,159,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoakman View Post
haha, I don't know what that rant is about. But seriously, for your own safety, I hope you can hold your own in an area like that. This has nothing to do with diversity and politics. This is about a town filled with people who deal drugs, steal cars, rob people, and break into houses.

This statement alone makes me conclude that you've never lived in a crime ridden town. When thieves are stealing stuff from your house, you don't care about what they take or if insurance will reimburse you. You care if they are going to shoot you or not.

Don't believe anything you read about "revitalization" in New Brunswick. It's not happening. It's all make believe. Like I said, they made 3 blocks nice and you are no where near those 3 blocks. Crime is getting worse and I moved out because of it. The area you are referring to is not a nice one.

You seem to be a little too upbeat about this town. I would suggest you read the police blotter. As for your views on "we are the world" and diversity. Sure, it's a great idea. But the fact of the matter is, there are plenty of people in New Brunswick that don't share your views and will go out of their way to mess with you if your the wrong skin color.

There is not a "ghetto feel" to it. It is the ghetto.
Watch out, oakman - nauticadon will be spewing his/her racial tantrums on you!!

Old 02-09-2009, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
Watch out, oakman - nauticadon will be spewing his/her racial tantrums on you!!
I welcome it. I said nothing about what groups were dealing the drugs and committing the crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey