Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 10:24 AM

327 posts, read 1,050,680 times

Advertisements

Iv been hearing that Newark is reinventing itself and is on a positive way up. I went and researched this and found the following website and thought my fellow Jerseyite's would appreciate reading it.

Could Newark flower as eco-city? - Newark, New Jersey Local News | Newark Live - NJ.com

I read a while back that Newark was also getting a handful of new buildings...like 20-30 story buildings...one being partially funded by Shaq...yea idk...but would anyone know if any of this is true, and if anyone would have a future skyline pic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2009, 03:01 PM

37 posts, read 169,125 times
no

Old 06-11-2009, 03:03 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,687,864 times
newark will do nothing positive, probably ever.

Old 06-11-2009, 03:15 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,560,012 times
I think Newark is improving and will continue to make strides in the right direction.

Old 06-11-2009, 03:17 PM

380 posts, read 709,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
newark will do nothing positive, probably ever.
What is that supposed to mean?

Old 06-11-2009, 03:30 PM

256 posts, read 841,789 times
I doubt Newark cleans up its act any time soon. it is a massive city and pretty bad in some places.

Jersey City is much more likely in my opinion

Old 06-11-2009, 03:50 PM

380 posts, read 709,341 times
Newark is a lot better now than it was in the late 80's. Sure it has some high crime areas where drug activity is a major problem but Newark has some wonderful neighborhoods in the Ironbound, Forest Hill, parts of North Newark, and believe it or not even in the south ward. Broad and Market is safer now than it ever was. The area around Military Park has great places to visit: Newark Museum, NJ Historical Society, Wbgo gallery. Halsey St north of Market is becoming a mecca for young artists. There is hope for Newark. It is a unique interesting city with a complicated wonderful history. If people from the suburbs would get over their prejudices about Newark and give it a chance anything could happen.For the first time in over 40 years Newark has had a population increase.

Old 06-11-2009, 04:49 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,377,466 times
There were several big development projects in the works a few years back, but they didn't pencil out financially. The costs of building large-scale projects in Newark is the same as in Jersey City, but Newark doesn't command the same rents, so the numbers don't work. I recall one of the projects where the developer approached the unions, demanding concessions so he could get his building up- they just about died laughing.

Elizabeth has the same issues, and that's why all the work that was supposed to happen by the ferry depot (which has also stalled) never happened.

Old 06-11-2009, 04:58 PM

256 posts, read 841,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
There were several big development projects in the works a few years back, but they didn't pencil out financially. The costs of building large-scale projects in Newark is the same as in Jersey City, but Newark doesn't command the same rents, so the numbers don't work. I recall one of the projects where the developer approached the unions, demanding concessions so he could get his building up- they just about died laughing.

Elizabeth has the same issues, and that's why all the work that was supposed to happen by the ferry depot (which has also stalled) never happened.
Jersey city is still not developed as much as it could be. JC is much easier access to NYC. once Jersey City is totally redeveloped, then maybe they will move onto Newark. But I dont see why anyone would want to be doing major development in Newark when you can do it for Jersey city

Old 06-11-2009, 06:01 PM

250 posts, read 563,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by contachster View Post
Newark is a lot better now than it was in the late 80's. Sure it has some high crime areas where drug activity is a major problem but Newark has some wonderful neighborhoods in the Ironbound, Forest Hill, parts of North Newark, and believe it or not even in the south ward. Broad and Market is safer now than it ever was. The area around Military Park has great places to visit: Newark Museum, NJ Historical Society, Wbgo gallery. Halsey St north of Market is becoming a mecca for young artists. There is hope for Newark. It is a unique interesting city with a complicated wonderful history. If people from the suburbs would get over their prejudices about Newark and give it a chance anything could happen.For the first time in over 40 years Newark has had a population increase.
I concur. Newark has changed tremendously. I was in Newark a month ago and I couldn't believe the developments phases the city has seen for the past ten years or so. As a former resident of Newark I can always say positive things about the city. All those criticising Newark should be ashame of themselves. What do you expect from a city of that size with lack of better opportunity devised for total failure among minorities? Enough of the prejudice stuff about Newark. Would the same critics speak evil of neighoring towns like Belleville and Elizabeth?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey