Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 11:14 AM

250 posts, read 683,400 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My husband and I are starting to research warren county......we love the area and would like a nice home with some property. We really like the mansfield area since it has its own shopping area, is close to hackettstown and is much cheaper than chester/long valley but still close enough to enjoy their amenities. Can someone who has lived in these parts give some more recent input on mansfield & the surrounding areas.
What is your oppinion on Warren Hills Regional High in washington twp?

Last edited by LCMT; 02-10-2009 at 11:32 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2009, 11:40 AM

7,221 posts, read 11,934,667 times
Mansfield is a great area. The eastern area, closest to Hackettstown and Washington Township (Morris County), is full of amenities, from shopping to restaurants. The western area of Mansfield closest to Washington Township (Warren County) is much more rural. Lots of farms and larger property sizes. The eastern area has some new developments as well as developments which are between 25-50 years old. The western area has mostly older homes.

People are generally frendly and the area has a "small town" feel. Warren Hills HS is decent, probably considered "middle of the pack" in NJ.

You may also want to consider Hackettstown, Great Meadows, Independence or Washington Township (Warren County).

IMO, Warren County is a great place. Let me know if I can be of any more specific help.

Old 02-10-2009, 12:21 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,688,247 times
Please look into taxes - I find Mansfield's taxes to be too high for what you get. IMHO.

Old 02-10-2009, 02:56 PM

7,577 posts, read 22,606,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
Please look into taxes - I find Mansfield's taxes to be too high for what you get. IMHO.
I've heard that as well. OP - you might want to check out some of the developments near town that are still listed as Washington Twp - Long Valley - Hastings Square on 24 and another one located on rt 46 across from the new Target. "supposedly" Low income housing developments - you may find a great deal and still get the benefit of the washington twp school systems.

Old 02-11-2009, 06:35 AM

250 posts, read 683,400 times
My husband and I have been researching lots of different towns...we would like a newer home (not new) but 10 to 20 years old and at least 1/5 acre minimum. We find that everywhere has high taxes. A client of mine lives in long valley and said their taxes went up last year and they got hit hard. We have compared homes/land/schools...if you want a newer home, property and good schools taxes will be high. Excellent schools taxes will be even high with less house and land. You used to be able to go out west and get more house & more land for less taxes. Not anymore...you do get more house & land but taxes are the same as everywhere else. I guess you do still make out better.
Belleville NJ has one of the worst high schools, next to newark, 50-100ft lot, a 30+yr old split level 3b 1 1/2b, high crime, $340,000 price tag is almost $9000 in taxes. Mansfield good schools, beautiful country, 1acre, 15yrs old center call colonial, pool, 4b 2 1/2b, $400,000 price tag, low crime is $9,600 in taxes.
Not much difference in taxes but you get alot more for your money not to mention the beauty.
Thanks for you posts. We will also look into Independence, Long valley & Allamuchy.

Old 02-11-2009, 06:53 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,688,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCMT View Post
My husband and I have been researching lots of different towns...we would like a newer home (not new) but 10 to 20 years old and at least 1/5 acre minimum. We find that everywhere has high taxes. A client of mine lives in long valley and said their taxes went up last year and they got hit hard. We have compared homes/land/schools...if you want a newer home, property and good schools taxes will be high. Excellent schools taxes will be even high with less house and land. You used to be able to go out west and get more house & more land for less taxes. Not anymore...you do get more house & land but taxes are the same as everywhere else. I guess you do still make out better.
Belleville NJ has one of the worst high schools, next to newark, 50-100ft lot, a 30+yr old split level 3b 1 1/2b, high crime, $340,000 price tag is almost $9000 in taxes. Mansfield good schools, beautiful country, 1acre, 15yrs old center call colonial, pool, 4b 2 1/2b, $400,000 price tag, low crime is $9,600 in taxes.
Not much difference in taxes but you get alot more for your money not to mention the beauty.
Thanks for you posts. We will also look into Independence, Long valley & Allamuchy.
it was a reassessment and some people went down - it was NOT a budget increase. long valley's taxes on average go up ~ 3% a year, pretty low for NJ. I'd check Mansfield's tax increase history.
I also realize NJ taxes are high, I don't think it's a fair comparison between Belleville and Mansfield. You seem to think $9600 is OK because you get more land and house than in Essex County. This is true, but, for instance, would you pay $9600 in taxes for that same house in Kansas? An extreme example I know, but you get my drift.

I *personally* find Mansfield's taxes (and Mount Olive for that matter if you're considering that) too high for the area for what you get.

Here's a link that shows general and effective tax rates for Warren County - Mansfield is in the middle of the pack it appears (look only at EFFECTIVE, general is misleading). Allamuchy is a "bargain".

http://www.state.nj.us/treasury/taxa...t/gtr07war.pdf

Old 02-11-2009, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCMT View Post
White Twp in Warren Co. has the lowest tax rate out this way. Downside is, it's a bit rural! You may want to check out Independence Twp. as well...their taxes are reasonable.
Another option...Frelinghuysen twp. (backside of Allamuchy). I just moved from there and my taxes were pretty great for what I had. 5 yr old home on 4 acres...9600/yr! I sold and purchased brand new construction out in Greenwich (Stewartsville) and my taxes are now 4644/yr . This area is close to Rt. 78 if that is a good commuting choice for you... downside is, the HS for this twp. is Phillipsburg - not the best. Most of the parents out here send their kids to catholic school or another private HS. It's a beautiful area so it may be worth a look if it works for commuting?

Old 02-11-2009, 07:49 AM

127 posts, read 544,401 times
There is no miracle. Check out the school rankings: #42 West Morris Central (Washington Twp. high school is located in Chester), #179 Warren Hills Regional, and #236 Hackettstown. Please keep in mind that children from Allamuchy as well as Independence Twp. go to Hackettstown high school.

Old 02-11-2009, 08:19 AM

7,221 posts, read 11,934,667 times
Out of the Warren County high school choices, Warren Hills is definitely the best. Washington Boro, Washington Twp (Warren), Mansfield and Oxford are in this school district.

Old 02-11-2009, 08:33 AM

North Warren is a decent HS as well - middle of the road... includes Blairstown, Frelinghuysen, Hope?, Knowlton... etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey