Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 02:15 PM

27 posts, read 214,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by openheads View Post
I was not trying to be helpful.
You obviously have very little interest in NJ or Hudson Co other than the fact that it is cheaper than Manhattan.
I fear the day Hudson Co turns into a douche-fest launching pad like large swaths of Brooklyn have become.
As long as the area is safe enough too stumble home late at night, people like this could care less about Union City's school system or overall quality of life.
At least many of the yuppies in Downtown Jersey City buy into the neighborhood. They invest in the future of the area. They have a vested interest in the course of their neighborhood.
This guy could care less if Union City falls off the map as long as he does not get shot & can live cheap close to NYC.
People live & raise children in these neighborhoods. It's not some summer camp to live out your NYC fantasy on the cheap.
You're sooo righteous and witty. Thank you so much for your contribution to my thread! I mean how delusional i must have been to think that my tax dollars, local business patronage, my dollars spent on NJ public transit, rent and/or possible mortgage payments, etc... would be considered a fair contribution to my community especially when compared to charitable contributions from such amazing citizens as yourself. And what's even more amazing about you, is that you were able to know so much about me and my intentions from just a few paragraphs that i wrote on a website that was created to answer questions just like the ones i posted. I guess i'll just have to admit it... you're better than me. When will i learn ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2009, 11:27 AM

57 posts, read 198,067 times
Weehawken is a far better choice than UC. It's safer and far less crowded. Both these towns are similar in size and run parallel to each other so your commute to NYC is just about the same. There are buses and gypsy buses on three main avenues, Kennedy blvd W, Bergenline Ave., and Blvd East that run just about 24hrs a day into NYC, although weekend schedules are lighter. Getting back to NJ is a cinch from the Port Authority on 42nd St. in Manhattan. Weehawken also borders Hoboken, which is an alternative to Manhattan and also has a thriveing night life.

Old 02-18-2009, 11:07 AM

43 posts, read 258,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popschild View Post
I have a couple of friends who live in Weehawken but surprisingly none of them even know where Union City is.
thats all i need to know, please just stay wherever you are and take your friends with you

Old 03-12-2009, 06:35 AM

2 posts, read 10,642 times
Default Union City Transportation

Pretorius, thanks for a really great reply. I am also interested in the commute between UC and Manhattan, and your info is really great.

My husband and I currently live in Harlem, and are closing on a house in UC next week, so figuring out the commute is pretty important for us. We did a walk around the neighborhood last week, and were glad to see the number of gypsy buses, and noticed the city buses as well, travelling along 30th St.

Since we work right in Times Square, we took a walk around the Port Authority area and saw a few gypsy buses lined up on 42nd, btwn 8th and 9th. We stopped and asked them where they go, and as our luck would have it, that is the bus stop for Union City. Cash fare, $2 a trip. From my previous experience with gypsy buses, they seem to be able to make change as well.

We've been hanging out in UC a bit lately, trying to get a feel for the neighborhood, and so far we feel really comfortable. We'll definitely need to be a bit more organized with planning trips home after a late night, but since we don't stay out until all hours on a regular basis, we're not worried.

I'm going to check out the schedules for the city bus routes mentioned - thx again.

Old 03-18-2009, 09:08 AM

61 posts, read 376,144 times
Default To: Xingu - Weehawken vs. Union City

Hello Xingu,

Hope I am not sending this twice since I do not see it posted, but would like to say CONGRATULATIONS to moving to your new home in Union City!

I currently live in Brooklyn and I am interested in moving to Union City to purchase a condo. I have heard so many mixed reviews about UC (mostly not so good), but after reading your Post, I feel comfortable on giving it a try.

The prices are very reasonable. Hoping in the near future, UC will have a much better reputation and that it will be a good investment for people in this neighborhood.

If you do not mind me asking, and sorry that this is “public,†could you please tell me the street you are moving to (street name only).

After touring the neighborhood, are there any grocery stores, shopping plazas, and park(s) nearby?

Thanks for any info. provided. Again, best of luck in your new home J

Old 03-18-2009, 11:03 AM

1,110 posts, read 4,359,358 times
Make sure you speak Spanish Fluently if moving to UC. English is the second language there.

Old 03-24-2009, 02:10 PM

58 posts, read 223,366 times
Hi, the person who suggested moving to the Bronx was joking, right? I lived in the Bronx for 1 1/2 years, and worked in Manhattan -- it takes well over an hour to commute from the Bronx to New York, so who's kidding who? And there's much more violence there than in Union City. I know Union City well, I grew up there. The shopping is much better and handier to get to than Weehawken.

Old 03-24-2009, 06:31 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,939,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlalonde View Post
Hi, the person who suggested moving to the Bronx was joking, right?
You are quite perceptive!

Old 04-04-2009, 08:09 AM

2 posts, read 10,642 times
Hey Ericka,

We've been here a week, and I love it. I don't speak Spanish, and it hasn't made a lick of difference to me. I understand enough to know when someone is saying "thank you" "two dollars", etc. so I'm getting along fine.

The house we bought is on 23rd Street, just off Bergenline, and the neighborhood feels really comfortable. There are lots of stores/services within the surrounding blocks. I've dropped off dry cleaning, bought new locks, had a mani/pedi for $20 and managed to get to Manhattan to work on time every day. The one thing that I haven't found yet, and haven't had much time to look for, is a public library, but I'm so close to one in Manhattan that it's not a big deal.

THe transit is pretty interesting - the jitneys are a bit confusing as they seem to go a slightly different way every morning, but I always end up close to Port Authority, so it's not a big issue. I am trying to figure out if route of jitneys is determined by the stop you use....I'm going to try a diff spot on Monday, I saw a bunch of jitneys that had "Gate 51" on them, so maybe they actually all go there.

So far, no problem. I'm really happy with the move and I'll be happier in a few weeks when our kitchen reno is done, house is painted (reeks of smoke right now) and we start planning the back yard work.

Make the move!

Old 04-05-2009, 08:58 PM

43 posts, read 258,512 times
gate 51 is inside the port authority complex so once you get off the bus, you'll have to go up to street level to exit on 8th avenue...there are two public libraries in Union City, one on 18th and Summit and the other on 43rd and New York Avenue...any other questions, feel free to ask
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey