Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 06:41 PM

707 posts, read 1,018,430 times

Advertisements

I was driving in Middlesex NJ on Wed trying to find my way back to 287 (i'm not really familiar with the area). I had just made a right turn on Harris street when I noticed a cop parked in front of a house on the other side of the street. All of a sudden, she made a U turn in the middle of the street and came right up behind me with flashing lights. The first thing i did was looked at how fast i was going, by then i was going about 20 miles per hour.

I asked her why did she pull me over, she claimed i was going 40 mph in a 25 mph zone, i said thats impossible i just turned the corner. She went on to ask where i was going and coming from and was i familiar with the area, I said no, while still holding the google map in my hand. She still wrote me a ticket for doing 40.

I plan to take my chance and go to court to fight the $105 ticket and the 4 points. Has anyone dealt with Middlesex before?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2009, 08:12 PM

11,292 posts, read 16,570,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proudmama View Post
I was driving in Middlesex NJ on Wed trying to find my way back to 287 (i'm not really familiar with the area). I had just made a right turn on Harris street when I noticed a cop parked in front of a house on the other side of the street. All of a sudden, she made a U turn in the middle of the street and came right up behind me with flashing lights. The first thing i did was looked at how fast i was going, by then i was going about 20 miles per hour.

I asked her why did she pull me over, she claimed i was going 40 mph in a 25 mph zone, i said thats impossible i just turned the corner. She went on to ask where i was going and coming from and was i familiar with the area, I said no, while still holding the google map in my hand. She still wrote me a ticket for doing 40.

I plan to take my chance and go to court to fight the $105 ticket and the 4 points. Has anyone dealt with Middlesex before?
Get a lawyer and ask for the proof of 40mph.

Old 02-13-2009, 08:30 PM

1,184 posts, read 4,030,089 times
Like, MPBsr said, get a lawyer. It's a PITA, but the good lawyers will demand and get the cop's report log, the device used to confirm the speed, and the like. You'll be looking at about $750 for a good lawyer, but it beats having the points to deal with on your license and the amount of money sucked out in higher insurance premiums.

I have not personally had to deal with Middlesex before, but I have had friends and people I know who have had to put up with their money-making efforts. They really give police a bad name.

Old 02-13-2009, 08:45 PM

329 posts, read 1,525,723 times
see the ticket if she checked the radar box. if she did she has proof.

cops always overexagerrate these days .

Old 02-13-2009, 10:19 PM

831 posts, read 2,427,843 times
She probably lived in the neighborhood that you made the wrong turn and didn't recognize the car therefore pulling you over. I would talk to the Court Clerk and ask her opinion about going solo. I use to work in a municipal court. We would give our opinions, when asked, because we knew the judge and if he were a hard ass on certain citations we would say yes or no. Its worth a shot.

Old 02-13-2009, 10:52 PM

825 posts, read 3,152,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proudmama View Post

it's your word against the cop's. who do you think the court is going to believe?

Old 02-13-2009, 11:03 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,519,416 times
The law used to say they must ask you if you wish to see the radar reading. At least it used to be that way when I lived there. Today Im thinking the donut munching connoisseurs would rather you not get out of car for thier perceived and imaginary safety.

Just get a second job and pay pay pay and pray tonight she chokes on a boston cream.

Quite often I miss New Jersey, I was born and raised and lived there 35 or so years before escaping. Thanks agan for reminding me one of the reasons why I left.

Good luck to you my friend.......

Old 06-11-2011, 07:57 PM

1 posts, read 3,195 times
Last week my son was driving on Union Avenue in the left lane when a Middlesex Police car appeared behind him and right up on his bumper. He wasnt above the speed limit at this point but being a young person he sped up to pass a car in the right lane so the Police car could pass him. He was then pulled over and ticketed for going 48 in a 35mph zone. This really seemed to be a set up and I wonder how many times they do this.

Old 06-11-2011, 08:07 PM

1,602 posts, read 4,145,442 times
If it's your first ticket, call in a "not guilty" plea, show at court, and they'll drop the points and double the fine. Hefty, but worth it ... Points can be costly when it comes to auto insurance-

Driving through Fort Lee, NJ~ they like to ticket often, and never let anyone go, ever. That's where I got my first speeding ticket (and last). I did the above, and it worked ... The Judge told me as long as it's a first-offense, they'll drop the points. But, it cost me close to 450.00.

Old 06-12-2011, 10:55 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,332,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lets_hope_for_newbruns View Post
see the ticket if she checked the radar box. if she did she has proof.

cops always overexagerrate these days .
with the way i see people in NJ drive every day, i give the benfit of the doubt to the cops in this state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey