Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 10:01 AM

6 posts, read 21,017 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking to move from NY to Perth Amboy, NJ. We are going off of info from my husbands co-worker about how nice it is. Is there anyone on here that actually knows first hand info about taxes or crime rate. We are both in law enforcement and can do without the criminal element. I know that no neighborhoods are crime free, and many are still livable if you just go to work and come home as we do. We also have two children, both girls, 15 and 2 years old. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2009, 10:55 AM

23,532 posts, read 17,208,400 times
Default mixed bag, consider Fords

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed

Some great areas, some bad. Spanish predominates and caters to that clientele on Smith Street the main road through town. Used to be the local shopping center/ "downtown" with a nice waterfront and lots of history. Lot of redevelopment going on focused on the waterfront. It will regain its glory as a waterfront town and jumping off point to NYC and the shore as it continues through a down cycle. Has a beach and upscale yacht club and recently updated marina. It is an old city with row houses and nice old 1920s style homes and beautiful victorian homes along mile wide High st and Sadowski prkway. East Jersey Governor's mansion used by Wm Franklin, first black to vote in the US, visited by Henry David Thoreau and the list of luminaries goes on.

Train to NYC on Smith st. quick access to all major roads. It is a town rather than a city. Had a large Polish population way back when. Good hospital. Great fishing in Raritan Bay. PA is eligible for a tax break on items purchased there.

Last edited by Yac; 02-24-2009 at 06:10 AM..

Old 02-14-2009, 12:38 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,643,906 times
While Kracer was pretty truthful, Perth Amboy is not as nice as his posts suggests. It's a dump. How can you be in law enforcement and not know about Perth Amboy?

Yea it's an old town, but translate that into how dumpy it is. Yea it is about 85% spanish speaking but combine that with the county welfare and employment offices just off Smith St and what does that tell you. Yea they have a beach but from what water? The name of that water is the Arthur Kill named after Fresh Kills Landfill in NY. Fresh Kills is also responsible for the human waste including needles and tampons which all land on NJ beaches. Thanks NY!

In addition it is all downhill river flow from Newark Bay and all the refineries of Chrome Carteret with their illegal dumping of toxic waste. Beaches? True things are improving greatly of late but just 25 years ago if you were to throw a rock into those waters it didn't even splash. It was more like a plop. Legend has it that the world's largest deposits of oil reserves are not in Saudi Arabia, it is all in Newark Bay and the upper reaches to Hackensack Rivers.

When I was a little boy we hung out at the docks of Seawaren just up the Arthur Kill from Perth Amboy. We were fasinated by the locals who were all Puerto Ricans and Cubans who would fish for Bunker. Bunker is a junk fish and considered unedible. Bunker is harvested for it's valuble oils which is used to make soaps, perfumes etc. Well these people would catch them and eat them raw right there on the docks and the Seagulls (now practicly extinct) would swarm the area eating the guts. This practice of eating raw bunker still exists today in Perth Amboy up to Seawaren. Today much of NJs Bunker run is stolen by the Japanese commercial fishermen who use spotters by air and sweep up hundreds of tons of our fish.

Enough or I could ramble on. Why in hell would you or anyone want to move to Perth Amboy? Have you thought about any other nearby towns? Any one of the surrounding towns provide easy access to NYC. Any town has easy access to any major highway.

Go drive down Convery Bld, Smith St, State St, Fayette St or around Washington Park and come back and tell us what you think. Oh and you better bring your police issue side arm with you.

Old 02-14-2009, 01:14 PM

6 posts, read 21,017 times
I'm in law enforcement in Washington, DC.... Just because i'm in law enforcement should I know about every town that there is? The world is quite big you know. Also, you sound quite miffed. I am only in my beginning stages of research and I know I have a lot to learn. Hopefully I will get more insightful and less bias comments. Thanks anyway.

Old 02-14-2009, 01:25 PM

526 posts, read 2,068,119 times
Anyone who says Perth Amboy is a dump obviously hasn't been there in quite some time. It's a city, and if you're coming from any borough in NYC, then you'll know what to expect. IMHO, Perth Amboy has improved as much or more than any city in NJ outside of maybe Jersey City and New Brunswick. The waterfront area is beautiful and is home to some million dollar houses. The downtown is more urban and not as aesthetically pleasing. The real issue here is that Perth Amboy is predominantly Hispanic (probably 90%). Now, if you don't feel comfortable living around Dominicans and Puerto Ricans, then this is not the place for you. If you do, however, then you'll find a city with really nice sections that's actually on the upswing. Good luck.

Old 02-14-2009, 04:40 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,643,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allegany View Post
I'm in law enforcement in Washington, DC.... Just because i'm in law enforcement should I know about every town that there is? The world is quite big you know. Also, you sound quite miffed. I am only in my beginning stages of research and I know I have a lot to learn. Hopefully I will get more insightful and less bias comments. Thanks anyway.
Washington DC huh? Well that's not what your spouse just said in her opening post. So from where your spouse seems to live without your knowledge yes I do expect him/her to know where Perth Amboy is and it's reputation too. I gave you a very insightful unbiased picture of what it is like there. If it is not what you want to hear then you should not ask. Or go look for yourself.

What happened to Somerset County? Talk about 2 opposite ends.

Last edited by desertsun41; 02-14-2009 at 04:43 PM.. Reason: spell

Old 07-29-2010, 09:47 AM

196 posts, read 779,291 times
Hey I found this old tread and would like to know about any changes in Perth Amboy lately.

Old 07-29-2010, 10:18 AM

429 posts, read 931,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
The name of that water is the Arthur Kill named after Fresh Kills Landfill in NY.
??? I don't know where you're getting that info from, but it's wrong.

Old 07-29-2010, 10:32 AM

293 posts, read 719,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edrican View Post
Hey I found this old tread and would like to know about any changes in Perth Amboy lately.
This is one funny thread. Although desertsun41 could have come as rude to some people's standards, his post was on the money. And unfortunately, nothing has changed in Perth Amboy. The township has great potential, but as he or she mentioned is predominately Hispanic (95%) and that is far away from being diverse.

As far as prices is concerned, Perth Amboy offers very cheap housing for homes that if located in different towns, I could not afford. Property taxes are extremely low for New Jersey standards. Then again, you get what you pay for. Public schools are in the bottom of the list. Real Estate properties have a tendency to depreciate, most likely because of its lack of appeal. Maybe this will change someday....when the demographics of the town balances a bit more.

Last edited by Ed Guitar; 07-29-2010 at 11:00 AM.. Reason: Spelling

Old 07-29-2010, 10:43 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLuckoftheDraw View Post
??? I don't know where you're getting that info from, but it's wrong.
Absolutely wrong. Arthur Kill comes from the Dutch achter kill, meaning back channel. It was named centuries ago, long before there was a landfill on Staten Island.

And I don't know what century that poster is in, but I live near the beach and I haven't seen any medical waste and tampons washing up there lately!

I do commute, though, and Perth Amboy looks pretty dumpy, at least from trackside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey