Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 07:57 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,636,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
Sorry about that Chief! I looked up the latest tax info for Charlotte and it works like this:

Charlotte's combined county and city tax rate is $1.30 per assessed $100. the latest assessment was done 4 years ago. They were thinking of doing one this year but decided to wait until next year. So let's use an example.

A Charlotte Home "assessed" at $300,000 would pay ~$3900 a year in property tax. For $300,000 you can get a pretty nice house - about 3000 sq ft (minus a basement -but that's another thread) with all the amenities -granite countertops marble bathrooms etc. Costs of new construction run about $100 per square ft.

If you took a $300,000 (which doesn't buy you much) NJ home and "transplanted" it into Charlotte, you might find it would sell for $110,000. That's the big difference here. So your taxes on that "tranplanted NJ" home would run you $1430 a year.

I just consider that a similar-sized house with pretty much the same features will cost about 2.5 to 3 times in NJ what a house in the Charlotte Metro area would go for.

In Union County NC which is next to Charlotte, the fanciest town is Marvin which would resemble a hybrid cross of say... Ridgewood NJ and Colts Neck NJ. The tax on a $600,000 house there (which looks like a $2 million NJ House) would run like this:

600,000 @ .55 per hundred "Union County" tax = $3300
600,000 @ .09 "Marvin" Tax = $540

BTW - the county tax covers the cost of the schools.

So your tax bill on this lovely McMansion (prob 5000 to 6000 sq ft) would be $3840 a year. I hope this explains it a bit better!
Gotcha. But then the $5K or so that I'd save in taxes would just be going to Uncle Sam b/c I'd have less to write off! They get you either way Em...LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2009, 06:37 AM

3,859 posts, read 10,306,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
And do you go back to trying to live like normal people for your days off? That's what I remember being the toughest part. It's hard to roam the house while everyone is sleeping on the days off.... I'll be fine and get used to it again. Just hated it when I did before. Didn't realize it until I got out of it. I'm sure it will all work out.
Oh yes I remember this well. For about the first four years we were together, my husband worked the graveyard shift and also a second job. When his days off came around he would try to live normal hours. I know it was tough on him but we wanted to have some type of normal life-especially being first together/married. I know it was hard adjusting-if he had to sleep and I was awake it was difficult. Sometimes I would get home from work and he would still be sleeping. I know his first night back was always the most difficult after being awake during "normal" hours during his two days off.

The hardest thing would be vacation-actually having a whole "normal" week and then going back to the graveyard shift.

Good luck!

Old 02-18-2009, 10:32 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,747,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolem View Post
Oh yes I remember this well. For about the first four years we were together, my husband worked the graveyard shift and also a second job. When his days off came around he would try to live normal hours. I know it was tough on him but we wanted to have some type of normal life-especially being first together/married. I know it was hard adjusting-if he had to sleep and I was awake it was difficult. Sometimes I would get home from work and he would still be sleeping. I know his first night back was always the most difficult after being awake during "normal" hours during his two days off.

The hardest thing would be vacation-actually having a whole "normal" week and then going back to the graveyard shift.

Good luck!
The only reason I even consider it is for the kids' benefit. We need the money and the kids need me, so graveyard shift it is. I just have to remember that it isn't forever.

Thanks for the well wishes - OH - and glad they're home (your status)!!

Old 02-18-2009, 10:43 AM

3,859 posts, read 10,306,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
The only reason I even consider it is for the kids' benefit. We need the money and the kids need me, so graveyard shift it is. I just have to remember that it isn't forever.

Thanks for the well wishes - OH - and glad they're home (your status)!!
Thanks!

I understand about choosing the graveyard shift-it can be convienent if you have kids. Yes you are strong and you will get through it.

I read about your interivew in the other thread-it seemed to go well. I hope you get the job and hear soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey