Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 11:20 PM

1,014 posts, read 2,888,133 times

Advertisements

Crows are really annoying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2009, 04:11 AM

1,049 posts, read 4,019,847 times
There is a crow season in NJ. You CAN purchase firearms in NJ. Crow hunting is a blast!

NJDEP Division of Fish & Wildlife

Old 02-18-2009, 05:38 AM

23,541 posts, read 17,219,108 times
Default common crow or are they fish crows

Crow populations have soared over the last couple decades. They, along with starlings, a Euro introduction, tend to roost up during the cold weather but should spread out during the upcoming breeeding season.

Other birds hate crows and will attack them if they are anywhere near nesting birds so I'll bet they will soon disperse.

FWIW fish crow have an awk, awk call, while common crows sound like the classic, caw, caw, caw.

Crow hunting used to be popular way back when because in large groups they tend to do a lot of crop damage. Predators on song birds as well. Garbage and dumps foster huge crow populations.

Had a pet crow many moons ago and he was very personable and loved to hide shiny items in between the garden bricks. Left him in the garage for one afternoon and he moved a bag of nails from one side of the garage to the other, one by one. Show him a dime and he would grab it and run off to hide it.

Old 02-18-2009, 07:31 AM

27 posts, read 84,325 times
Default Crows

Crows are some of the most intelligent birds and social birds. They raise their young as a social unit-aunts and sisters look after young. I happen to love crows. Please don't poison or shoot them. They aren't invading your home, you don't need to be a Rambo to the crows.

How to Get Rid of Black Crows | eHow.com

Old 02-18-2009, 08:17 AM

825 posts, read 3,160,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JG183 View Post
in NJ ?

yeah, right...
you'd be surprised of how many people own guns in North Jersey. I'm not talking about people in the slums of Newark, I'm talking about nice upper/middle class families in Morris/Essex County.

---and to the original poster---

call the cops, and ask the cops to use they're weapons to shoot all the crows. that's what my neighbor did. everyone on the block got pissed off at him though, and the homeowner's association told him to get the hell out.

Old 02-18-2009, 12:53 PM

Default Crow is a game bird in NJ

NJ fish and wildlife lists the crow as a game bird with a season from August 5 thru March 16th. Oddly enough you can only hunt on Monday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday.

Quite a ways back US fish and wildlife made a deal with Mexico and signed a law to protect all birds belonging to the family corvidae. That turned out to be an Oops, when it was later pointed out that crows belonged to the corvidae family. that part was then ammended to allow crows to be hunted.

So they are a protected species and considered a game bird.

There are some songbirds like euro house sparrows and starling that have unprotected status.

Old 02-18-2009, 12:58 PM

1,398 posts, read 7,704,702 times
I don't see any long term problem...

What with all the folks that voted for change a lot of them are soon to be eating crow.

problem solved.

Old 02-20-2009, 09:43 AM

1,452 posts, read 3,170,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBrown View Post
I don't see any long term problem...

What with all the folks that voted for change a lot of them are soon to be eating crow.

problem solved.

Nice!! lol...

Old 02-20-2009, 11:53 AM

Default harken back to another time...learn from history

Armadillos got the nickname, Hoover hogs, during the last depression as it was then deemed fine dining relative to the administrations economic policies.

Then there was, "let them eat cake".........hmm, we are subject to cyclic historic events where only the clothes style changes....

Old 07-09-2015, 10:13 AM

807 posts, read 1,032,968 times
I wouldn't mess with crows. They are highly intelligent and can identify faces of people. They will remember you if you mess with them and take retribution. Unless they are eating your farm animals, I'd leave them alone, for your own safety.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey