U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 05:40 PM

11,820 posts, read 12,317,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njchick View Post
JerZ, (love that name) I wasn't directing that at you, I actually meant it to the original poster, in general. I was suprised that she would look up voting records, lol.
Oh! I'm sorry. I am hoping I didn't come off as anti-Repub. Like I said--I know "my" party has its own problems. I'd be dreaming if I didn't think all the major parties had their issues. But wanted to point out how I did know how these towns slanted. Some people are very vocal. But like I said--it sure never got in the way of my living there or having friends.

I do see what you mean about voting records. I mean I didn't even technically "know"--never looked it up. In the long run--you're right. It doesn't really matter all that much. To the OP: So therefore...don't let voting one way or another sway you. Hillsdale is as NJchick says a lovely place to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2007, 05:56 PM

540 posts, read 1,023,965 times
NO, JerZ you didn't come of offensive at all, don't worry I feel the same way, there are many things I don't vote along party lines with... and you gave great advice to the OP. I just find it funny that someone would go to that trouble, but I guess if it's that important to you, you do your research. Anyway, I always think it's funny that some New Jerseyans are surprised that there are actually Republicans living here too!!

Old 03-18-2007, 08:35 PM

67 posts, read 222,414 times
Default thanks for all the helpful info.

JerZ, NJChick, Crazy...

Thanks for all the helpful infomation... most helpful, indeed! Hillsdale sounds like a wonderful town.

Just to clarify... My husband and I are pretty progressive (or dare I mention the word liberal?!), and I wanted to make sure that we wouldn't be the only people in town with our particular ideology. We are very open-minded, and we respect opinions that differ from our own. I actually welcome a variety of opinions... makes life interesting, huh? I just wanted to make sure that we literally weren't the only people in town with views that leaned a bit to the left... If that was the case, I think we'd feel a bit uncomfortable. I'm pretty politically active, and it would be nice to be able to meet some friends (don't have to be all!) who share our ideology.

NJChick... It might sound a bit wacky to you that I looked up the voting records of the town. It's really easy to do, and I thought it would be one of many helpful tools in our search to relocate. I did a ton of research overall... especially on the schools (my son's education, of course, is my number one priority). Hope that explains it. I'm not insane!

To all... Thanks, again, for the honest and insightful comments. I really appreciate it.

Old 03-22-2007, 10:46 AM

6 posts, read 22,444 times
I have lived in Hillsdale for the past 13 years and can't tell you how much I love it.

Adorable downtown, you'll always run into someone you know at Shop Rite or Walgreens.

Very down-to-earth people, you don't have to feel like you're the only family in town who doesn't go to Aspen over winter break (though there are some who do).

Schools are excellent, HS maybe pushes TOO hard for SAT scores and college acceptances, but I don't think you can get around that in this North Jersey environment. I swear my kids are the only ones in town who aren't tutored for the SATs.

One problem is that the town is one of the most non-diverse places you'll ever see -- we used to say on International Day it was "I" day -- Italy, Ireland or Israel and you got all the kids covered. Relatively few Asians, African Americans; Latinos have moved in in the past few years but even their numbers are small.

We are conveniently located to Route 17 and the Garden State Parkway. We can be in NYC in about 20 minutes (with no traffic). Commuter train runs through town. Westwood is our "town" with everything you need from clothing to jewelry to restaurants to a Trader Joe's.

Politics? The circles I travel in are more concerned with who's going to the Fashion Show and who made varsity softball. Local politicians tend to choose their party depending on the actual people in office already in those parties (e.g., if the Republicans are doing something stupid, I'll run for council as a Democrat just so I'm not one of them). I honestly don't think it reflects their traditional political philosophy.

Our DPW is amazing-- compared with other towns, we're always plowed, nice and clean. We do have a garbage transfer station in town but I swear you'd never know it -- you can't smell it at all and the trucks can only use certain roads at certain times. Helps with our taxes and really isn't a problem at all.

Last thought: the tree lighting and Memorial Day parades in town (among other things) will make you positively well up and look for Norman Rockwell.

Good luck wherever you land.

Old 05-10-2007, 11:27 PM

120 posts, read 354,117 times
I live in Westwood, right next to Hillsdale. All the towns around Northern Bergen county are typically Republican communities but you can always find Democrats. Besides, there is (or was until very recently) a lesbian on the Hillsdale town council...I would not consider that a hugely Republican move.

Old 07-10-2007, 06:59 PM

1 posts, read 1,591 times
YES!! I lived in Hillsdale all my life until I got married...my hubby is orig from Lodi and he hates NJ!! He doesn't like the congestion and the high taxes, etc... but I was quiet content there. Now I live in the south, the homes and taxes are a lot cheaper and a lot of Jerseyites and New Yorkers are moving down here cause of the high cost of living up there. You could easily sell your home up there and pay cash for a brand new home down here!! But if I could, I would def move back home in a heartbeat!! But the weather down here is awesome!! But if you can afford it there, go for it!!! I went to St. John the Baptist, I think it's called St. John's Academy now. And then to IHA. I can't believe how much it has changed Hillsdale....it really became a fast pace kind of place. I remember more trees and land that didn't have a house built on every piece of God's green earth like it does today. Very Sad!!!

Old 04-12-2008, 05:01 PM

19 posts, read 121,126 times
no is hillsdale is ****ing ****ty. no diversity, school blows. don't move here. EVER.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey