Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 06:19 AM

7,577 posts, read 22,604,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikgrr12 View Post
He is a firefighter. Okay. What's the weather like? Just warm summers cold winters? Good place to have kids?
Paid Fireman? Warren County might be a great place for you. He may be able to find a job just over the border in PA..Easton, Allentown, etc. Fairly large cities and the cost of living out here is much cheaper. We even have a doggie day care..dog park. It's adorable... they have all kinds of play toys..ramps, slides, etc. Plus there's Merrill Creek which is great for taking the dog for a walk. I'm about 1 hr from NYC...1.5 hrs. from Philly.. 40 mins from Morristown... 50 mins from Newark - tons of city fireman choices.
The summers can be hot and humid (georgian), spring is beautiful, fall is gorgeous...winter's suck..lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2009, 06:48 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,876,438 times
no, north Jersey is NOT bad. Its beautiful.. It just a lot more expensive then south jersey. Its gonna be harder to find a home for the $$ you are willing to spend, thats all

Quote:
Sorry, Delaware river is pretty. You lose . Okay, so North Jersey is bad? That sucks. My grandmas live in New York City. I guess no weekend visits. So are there dog beaches in Jersey? We definitely want to be near water. We don't mind buying a fixer-upper. That is what we did before. We just need my guy to be able to get into a busy station. Apparently, the only way to go up the ladder is to be in a busy station. I sense a conflict of interest.... lol. I want my guy to come home safe, but that means no promotions for selfless brave acts of heroism. Sighs. So we need someplace busy, I suppose but quiet with lots of fun stuff, farmer's markets, artsy things, and dog stuff to do.

Old 02-24-2009, 02:20 PM

20 posts, read 38,019 times
So I read that getting a firefighter job is hard in New Jersey. Where are the paid fire stations at along the Jersey coast? Anyone know if their town is hiring this year or in a year or two?

Old 02-24-2009, 03:06 PM

Quote:
So I read that getting a firefighter job is hard in New Jersey. Where are the paid fire stations at along the Jersey coast? Anyone know if their town is hiring this year or in a year or two?
Only major cities pay fireman..most of the suburbs use volunteers. Newrak, Jersey City, Bayonne, Paterson... find towns near these cities and hubby may have a shot at a job.

Old 03-03-2009, 11:00 AM

20 posts, read 38,019 times
I got a list of paid firefighting departments in New Jersey. I narrowed down by location near the ocean. The list goes like- Asbury Park City, Atlantic City, Bayonne, Camden City, Elizabeth, Margate City, Ocean City, Pleasantville, and Ventnor City. I was looking at Ocean City. What does everyone think? Any of the places I listed super dog friendly and artsy?

Old 03-03-2009, 11:15 AM

3,223 posts, read 9,629,141 times
Remove Elizabeth, Bayonne.. those are nowhere near the ocean.. I want to say remove Asbury park and camden but I'm not sure. Camden is nowhere near the shore but asbury park may work as it's closer to where the real shore begins. And those others are good commute wise

Old 03-03-2009, 12:14 PM

3,223 posts, read 9,629,141 times
Quote:
I got a list of paid firefighting departments in New Jersey. I narrowed down by location near the ocean. The list goes like- Asbury Park City, Atlantic City, Bayonne, Camden City, Elizabeth, Margate City, Ocean City, Pleasantville, and Ventnor City. I was looking at Ocean City. What does everyone think? Any of the places I listed super dog friendly and artsy?
atlantic margate ventnor as cities themself aren't dog friendly nor artsy in my opinion. they're on an island next to eachother and they are dead cold places during half the year. Ocean city is the same but better - crouded in the summer as it's arguably the best beach around because it's family friendly. Pleasantville is an african american inland city i'm sure there will be plenty of chicken bones for ur dog (friendly joke) it's near egg harbor twp which would be dog friendly but not artsy whatever u mean by artsy.

Asbury park itself is dead and u couldnt pay me to live there but 10miles south u have good beaches, north city/shore/semi-artsy, and west the type of place u might see a farmersmarket. Camden sucks, have u been anywhere in new jersey?

Old 03-03-2009, 12:35 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,303,947 times
Maybe try for a job in Asbury Park and live in a cool place like Red Bank. Red Bank isn't on the ocean, but it's close, and it has the coffee shops, restaurants, etc. that the OP is looking for.

Ocean City is a great place, but it's a seasonal town. It's very busy, crowded and fun in the summer months, but in winter all of the tourists stop coming and it's very quiet. Most of the shore towns are like that.

Old 03-03-2009, 12:47 PM

149 posts, read 596,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
Maybe try for a job in Asbury Park and live in a cool place like Red Bank. Red Bank isn't on the ocean, but it's close, and it has the coffee shops, restaurants, etc. that the OP is looking for.

Ocean City is a great place, but it's a seasonal town. It's very busy, crowded and fun in the summer months, but in winter all of the tourists stop coming and it's very quiet. Most of the shore towns are like that.
I agree with this post. You don't need to live in the town where you work. I work in Newark, but would never want to live there.

Old 03-03-2009, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_d_bear View Post
I agree with this post. You don't need to live in the town where you work. I work in Newark, but would never want to live there.
May be a requirement for paid fireman?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey