Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 01:50 PM

2 posts, read 10,891 times

Advertisements

I have recently started scoping out potential places to move to in New Jersey. In driving around, I have noticed that a lot of the neighborhoods I was interested in appear to have lots that are very tightly packed with only a token amount of lawn space. To provide a frame of reference: I have visited Montclair and River Edge, and I consider them to be crowded with minimal lawns.

What communities in Bergen/Passaic/Essex/Morris counties have lots that allow size for a reasonably large yard? By reasonably large, I mean big enough to play a game of touch football or for a dog to sprint around a bit. I drove through North Caldwell, and lots there appear to be a good size. It also looks like Mountainside near Summit has some decent space. Also maybe some parts of Chatham?

Generally I would be looking for a place where a 3BR/1.5+BA would be available for less than $500,000 and with good schools. So I would have to exclude anywhere where you need a $1 million home to have a big yard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2009, 02:54 PM

505 posts, read 1,756,803 times
There are tons of spaces in Morris county where you could get a 3 bedroom, 1.5+ bath home on acreage. For a lot of space, I would start in Parsippany, Montville, Rockaway, Roxbury, Randolph, and Boonton Twp. Look out by Chester and Long Valley for large yards and good schools.

For my recommendations I would suggest LV, Chester, Randolph, or Boonton Twp- they all have good to great schools.

You will not find space like these places offer in Essex, Bergen or Passaic. You might, MIGHT get lucky in Livingston, but thats tough to find.

Good luck

Old 02-22-2009, 02:59 PM

1,576 posts, read 5,667,734 times
Mahwah, Ridgewood, Wycoff, Boonton, Ringwood.. there's plenty.

The very expensive towns are the ones that have them.

-
Paramus is actually one that comes to mind that is semi affordable. MANY parks and nice sized homes with nice sized yards.

Old 02-22-2009, 03:00 PM

1,014 posts, read 2,879,635 times
Why wouldnt you just go the park for those activites?

Old 02-22-2009, 05:26 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,577,577 times
where's work?

Old 02-22-2009, 05:48 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,434,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnysider View Post
I have recently started scoping out potential places to move to in New Jersey. In driving around, I have noticed that a lot of the neighborhoods I was interested in appear to have lots that are very tightly packed with only a token amount of lawn space. To provide a frame of reference: I have visited Montclair and River Edge, and I consider them to be crowded with minimal lawns.

What communities in Bergen/Passaic/Essex/Morris counties have lots that allow size for a reasonably large yard? By reasonably large, I mean big enough to play a game of touch football or for a dog to sprint around a bit. I drove through North Caldwell, and lots there appear to be a good size. It also looks like Mountainside near Summit has some decent space. Also maybe some parts of Chatham?

Generally I would be looking for a place where a 3BR/1.5+BA would be available for less than $500,000 and with good schools. So I would have to exclude anywhere where you need a $1 million home to have a big yard.

Bwa Ha Ha. Good luck. You want space in those areas? Be prepared to drop at least a million.

You may have a shot if you move out to Way Western Morris County, or some more rural/isolated areas of Wayne, Oakland, or Mahwah. You're still probably gonna have to drop more than a 500 spot though for anything decent with space.

Old 02-22-2009, 05:56 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,577,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhelder View Post
Bwa Ha Ha. Good luck. You want space in those areas? Be prepared to drop at least a million.
You may have a shot if you move out to Way Western Morris County, or some more rural/isolated areas of Wayne, Oakland, or Mahwah. You're still probably gonna have to drop more than a 500 spot though for anything decent with space.
not even close. VERY doable.

Old 02-22-2009, 05:57 PM

2,791 posts, read 10,773,215 times
I sold a house last year (low 400's) with a huge yard, 3 br/2.5 baths in Bloomfield. There's a lot of affordable housing with decent size yards. Have you contacted a realtor?

Old 02-23-2009, 03:12 PM

138 posts, read 608,543 times
I second Ringwood...

Old 02-23-2009, 09:01 PM

2 posts, read 10,891 times
Thanks to everyone for the helpful responses so far.

Quote:
Why wouldnt you just go the park for those activites?
In my mind, the chief draw of moving out of the city is to have your own green space. If I were content to just go to the park, then I would just stay in the city and live near Prospect Park or Forest Park.

Quote:
where's work?
Work is in Lower Manhattan. I guess I should have mentioned that I would like to not have to commute more than 1.5 hours to work via public transportation (park and ride is OK too). Are these western Morris county areas like Long Valley or Chester further out than that? If so, I guess maybe Ringwood or Mahwah may be a better bet if I want to be closer to work?

Quote:
I sold a house last year (low 400's) with a huge yard, 3 br/2.5 baths in Bloomfield. There's a lot of affordable housing with decent size yards. Have you contacted a realtor?
This is very heartening. I would like to keep it in that range if possible. Have not contacted a realtor yet, since I am purely in recon mode for the next couple of months. Want to commit to a town or a couple of towns before getting moving with a realtor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey